Author Topic: Daft Questions Thread  (Read 204327 times)

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
Re: Daft Questions Thread
« Reply #5600 on: Friday 20 November 2020, 02:53:24 PM »
Michael Fabricated Hair.

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #5601 on: Friday 20 November 2020, 07:48:27 PM »
Who's this, then?

Michael Fabricunt

Online Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #5602 on: Friday 20 November 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
Doesn't he continue to insist it's his real hair :lol:
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #5603 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:03:06 PM »
Is there many really iconic British/Irish songs which are basically completely unknown in America?
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #5604 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:04:12 PM »
Is there many really iconic British/Irish songs which are basically completely unknown in America?
Bearings Straight!

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #5605 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:11:33 PM »

It's not really what you've asked but I think I read that The Killers were absolutely huge over here but not that popular in USA despite being from there

Might have changed since the 2000s though

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf arf
« Reply #5606 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:13:56 PM »
It's probably true across all senses tbh, from auld ballads and songs about WWI/II to huge 80s/90s hits, absolutely tons of them I'd reckon

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5607 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:16:24 PM »

Just about every 90s Britpop song except Wonderwall.

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #5608 on: Sunday 22 November 2020, 09:25:18 PM »

Always found it strange that one of my favourite bands, Dexys Midnight Runners are regarded as a novelty one hit wonder group in the States.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5609 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:08:21 AM »

Always found it strange that one of my favourite bands, Dexys Midnight Runners are regarded as a novelty one hit wonder group in the States.

Likewise Madness - only Our House ever did anything over here. Although tbf there are probably an awful lot of Brits who think of Dexys as a one hit wonder.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5610 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:15:22 AM »
It's probably true across all senses tbh, from auld ballads and songs about WWI/II to huge 80s/90s hits, absolutely tons of them I'd reckon

Yup. Absolutely tons of Xmas songs too, which is particularly tough to take over here given that there's some horrible, horrible songs on the radio. "Do You See What I See?" makes me puke in my mouth, and I cannot tell you how much I miss hearing "Stop The Cavalry" on the radio.

Also my American wife, who is pretty knowledgeable about music but unfortunately extremely knowledgeable about 80s poodle rock, wasn't aware that "Cum On Feel The Noize" wasn't actually by Quiet Riot. And I suspect she's spent more time in the Black Country than most English people. It's surprisingly easy to assume that we have a more broadly shared cultural palette than we actually do.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5611 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:18:29 AM »
For example, I don't think Journey ever impinged much on my consciousness until I got to the US, but they seem to be worshipped by far more people than should be allowed in a civil society.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5612 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:24:37 AM »

Likewise Madness - only Our House ever did anything over here. Although tbf there are probably an awful lot of Brits who think of Dexys as a one hit wonder.

I recall seeing Madness quite a bit on MTV and Night Tracks. I remember the videos for Our House, Welcome to the House of Fun, and Night Boat to Cairo from when I was a kid. I thought they were staples on Night Tracks, as well as bands like Men at Work for a couple of years. Granted they disappeared in the U.S. after about 1985.

Status Quo is another one of those bands that was big everywhere but here.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5613 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:30:54 AM »

Yup. Absolutely tons of Xmas songs too, which is particularly tough to take over here given that there's some horrible, horrible songs on the radio. "Do You See What I See?" makes me puke in my mouth, and I cannot tell you how much I miss hearing "Stop The Cavalry" on the radio.

Also my American wife, who is pretty knowledgeable about music but unfortunately extremely knowledgeable about 80s poodle rock, wasn't aware that "Cum On Feel The Noize" wasn't actually by Quiet Riot. And I suspect she's spent more time in the Black Country than most English people. It's surprisingly easy to assume that we have a more broadly shared cultural palette than we actually do.

:lol: I'd never ever heard of Slade until just right now.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5614 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:32:13 AM »

Seriously? Cum on Feel the Noize? Infinitely better than the Quiet Riot cover.
To crush your enemies while wearing a loincloth and bandolier, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5615 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:33:00 AM »

Seriously! Lead singer in Slade has such a great rock voice.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5616 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:36:22 AM »

Seriously! Lead singer in Slade has such a great rock voice.

I've heard that they were one of the best live bands to see back in the day.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5617 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:38:38 AM »
:lol: I wouldn't be shocked.

Holy s*** I'm in love with this guy's voice.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf arf
« Reply #5618 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:42:22 AM »

Barring an obscure Stewart Lee joke involving Noddy Holder I'd never heard of them either. :lol: I don't think they landed much on these shores.

Offline QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #5619 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 03:44:08 AM »

Barring an obscure Stewart Lee joke involving Noddy Holder I'd never heard of them either. :lol: I don't think they landed much on these shores.

they had a minor hit with Run Runaway. But I honestly don't remember anything else as a kid.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #5620 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 04:33:44 AM »
The Stranglers "No more heroes" maybe ?
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5621 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 04:58:34 AM »
:lol: I wouldn't be shocked.

Holy s*** I'm in love with this guy's voice.

Have you heard his speaking voice yet?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5622 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 08:23:10 AM »
For example, I don't think Journey ever impinged much on my consciousness until I got to the US, but they seem to be worshipped by far more people than should be allowed in a civil society.

For US bands who didn't get big abroad, there's the Grateful Dead too.  Actually, did they even make it big in the US outside of California?

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5623 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 01:09:14 PM »

For US bands who didn't get big abroad, there's the Grateful Dead too.  Actually, did they even make it big in the US outside of California?

I think we at least understood some of the significance of the Grateful Dead. I struggle to understand any of the significance of Journey.

Offline Doctor Zaius

• General Member
« Reply #5624 on: Monday 23 November 2020, 01:24:55 PM »

He's an absolute icon in all fairness. Slade make about half a million each year from 'Merry Xmas Everybody' iirc which isnt half bad considering they're only known here.