Author Topic: Daft Questions Thread  (Read 190121 times)

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
Re: Daft Questions Thread
« Reply #5375 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:20:11 PM »
Love cars us

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5376 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:20:21 PM »
cool

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #5377 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:28:27 PM »
car reg does not have anything to do with the car itself, generally people carry their reg plates with them from car to car till they die

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf
« Reply #5378 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
I'd guess it comes from the iconic/famous models of cars back in the 50s-70s being strongly associated with the year of release and that kind of shorthand just stuck around as the way we quickly reference all cars.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #5379 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
car reg does not have anything to do with the car itself, generally people carry their reg plates with them from car to car till they die

That must be a PA thing. We have to turn ours in on transfer and get new ones. Otherwise I never would have given up BAM 350.

Online Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #5380 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
How come American's on films and on documetaries if anyone asks them if they've seen a car/about their car they always answer with the year, like oh yeah its an 86 chevy, or a 98 dodge ram? Do they have an encylopedic knowledge of car, or is it really easy to identify a car's year by its reg?
My mrs can tell a car from what year it is if it's one that she likes. Guess there are subtle differences to each model, similar to how say an iPhone from 2020 looks different from the year before.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #5381 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:48:50 PM »
If you had an '87 Dodge Aries K, wouldn't you want to make sure everyone knew it?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5382 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 10:59:45 PM »
A bit like when I see some kool kat sporting a 96/97 Sheff Wed away top and think wew, Ritchie Humphrey’s on fire early doors my old son.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #5383 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 11:53:18 PM »
A bit like when I see some kool kat sporting a 96/97 Sheff Wed away top and think wew, Ritchie Humphrey’s on fire early doors my old son.

:lol: Pools legend.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #5384 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 11:21:40 AM »

That's wild, so it has no year? what if they move state? they have the state on them don't they
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #5385 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 11:22:33 AM »
How come American's on films and on documetaries if anyone asks them if they've seen a car/about their car they always answer with the year, like oh yeah its an 86 chevy, or a 98 dodge ram? Do they have an encylopedic knowledge of car, or is it really easy to identify a car's year by its reg?
My mrs can tell a car from what year it is if it's one that she likes. Guess there are subtle differences to each model, similar to how say an iPhone from 2020 looks different from the year before.

Yeah for sure, just seems uniquely american way to reference it, like I don't think I've heard anyone here go "oh yeah it was 74 VW polo"
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #5386 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 11:24:31 AM »

Yeah for sure, just seems uniquely american way to reference it, like I don't think I've heard anyone here go "oh yeah it was 74 VW polo"

It's easy to tell them apart.

Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5387 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 01:30:04 PM »

That's wild, so it has no year? what if they move state? they have the state on them don't they

You usually put a sticker on the plates when you renew the reg each year (or every two years, or whatever). That means you keep the plate itself. If you get a different car you can transfer your plate to the new car (you just unscrew the old one). Yeah, each state has its own design (or two) for plates, plus usually you can have specialty plates. That doesn’t mean you can pick numbers - although those exist too - you can pay a bit extra to have a Cleveland Browns plate, or an RSPB plate, or a KKK plate, or whatever. There are assorted plates for veterans (Marines, Gulf War Vet etc) plus a cheeky one from the Police Benevolent Society (or whatever it’s called) that supposedly might give you preferential treatment at traffic stops.

There are also “Historical Vehicle” plates that you can get that give the year the car was made, which might be one reason why Americans stay hyper-aware of this stuff. Amusingly, a Historical Vehicle is a car that’s 25 years old, so you can see cars from the early 90s with them.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #5388 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 01:40:51 PM »
Oh and for the record, my reference is PA. It probably differs by state as Bmore mentioned. If I moved to another state I’d have to get a new license plate for my vehicles.

You also don’t need a plate on the front of your car in PA. Just to blow your mind further.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5389 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
In CA you're allowed to drive around with an advert for the dealer you bought it from for 90 days instead of an actual license plate.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #5390 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 01:52:58 PM »
In CA you're allowed to drive around with an advert for the dealer you bought it from for 90 days instead of an actual license plate.

Yeah, that was Steve Jobs' old lifehack, wasn't it?
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf
« Reply #5391 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
close, but no advert:

Jaime Garza of California's Department of Motor Vehicles confirmed that one can drive a new car for up to six months with only a temporary permit on a corner of the windshield in front. He pointed out regulation CVC 4456:

"A vehicle displaying a copy of the report of sale may be operated without license plates or registration card until ... [a] six-month period, commencing with the date of sale of the vehicle, has expired."

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #5393 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 08:44:46 PM »

You usually put a sticker on the plates when you renew the reg each year (or every two years, or whatever). That means you keep the plate itself. If you get a different car you can transfer your plate to the new car (you just unscrew the old one). Yeah, each state has its own design (or two) for plates, plus usually you can have specialty plates. That doesn’t mean you can pick numbers - although those exist too - you can pay a bit extra to have a Cleveland Browns plate, or an RSPB plate, or a KKK plate, or whatever. There are assorted plates for veterans (Marines, Gulf War Vet etc) plus a cheeky one from the Police Benevolent Society (or whatever it’s called) that supposedly might give you preferential treatment at traffic stops.

There are also “Historical Vehicle” plates that you can get that give the year the car was made, which might be one reason why Americans stay hyper-aware of this stuff. Amusingly, a Historical Vehicle is a car that’s 25 years old, so you can see cars from the early 90s with them.

That is very strange, seems a weird way to do it, just transferring plates to your new car, maybe I'm lazy.  It's definitely something that I noticed, not just in films, thinking it was a trope at first but you see it a lot in documentaries too. I happened to be reading a reddit post from someone like yesterday and he was like 'yeah I had 1994 something".

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #5394 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 03:45:17 PM »

Online Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #5395 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
Anyone know how to cast an iPhone screen to a (Hisense) smart TV? The entire mobile screen I mean, not just YouTube or whatever. It's not my iPhone, I've always been on android so I'm struggling a bit.

The option isn't there to do it on iPhone when trying it via Google Home / Chromecast, whereas the option is there on my android Google Home.

Couldn't get AirPlay(?) or screen mirroring working either. Any free apps that make this easy to do?

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #5396 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 06:48:13 AM »
I think AirPlay 2 (as it is now) is locked down and only available to either Apple TV or certainly n manufacturers.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/these-are-the-tvs-that-will-support-apples-airplay-2

It may become more widespread in the future when Apple think TVs meet their standard.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #5397 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
A question for the fitness freaks. If you're grossly unfit (but not fat), haven't properly worked out in let's say about 5 years, but walking on average about 12k steps a day (c*** dog), how intensively should I start working out? I keep going over the top, and basically can't move after the second or third day after doing about 50-60 sit-ups/press ups etc. Like literally cannot f***ing move. Stomach gets so tight I can barely stand up straight. :lol:

I also know nothing about working out, so I'm just making it up as I go along. Plus this has been lockdown related, so no gym, no equipment, but where can I start. Even if you just point me to a website. Come on, c***s, help a lazy boy shed his skin. :knuppel2:

Guaranteed no one answers this, and I'll remember why I stopped bothering in this thread about the same time I last properly worked out. :hmm:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #5398 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:49:27 AM »
If you're feeling sore after a few days of doing the exact same thing then change up the workout. Do strength stuff one day and then go for a run or something the next day. Get a pull up bar that cam hang off the door. Look at r/bodyweightfitness on reddit.
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Marmoset

• General Member
« Reply #5399 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:56:16 AM »
Get the nike fitness app (free) and do some yoga some days. I've a bad back and slim but basically no exercise other than walking a lot for 5 years until about a year and a half ago. I do some really basic fitness stuff like sit ups, press ups, really light weights with several repetitions mixed with yoga days and I feel a lot better for it. Can just do 20 mins and feel a lot looser and younger for it.