Author Topic: Guitar swap  (Read 1957 times)

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
Re: Guitar swap
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 December 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
I would sell it, thats a really nice guitar in good condition. Did you put the extra pick up in it?
What do you reckon is a reasonable price for it? I know absolutely nothing about it, just want a decent price to pay for an acoustic.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 07:04:06 PM »
Followed KI's advice and looked for a swap on Facebook. Been offered a new Tanglewood TW3 as a straight swap. Inclined to take it, any objections from experts?

Sleep now in the fire

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
Followed KI's advice and looked for a swap on Facebook. Been offered a new Tanglewood TW3 as a straight swap. Inclined to take it, any objections from experts?

Based on a quick look at U.S. prices and exchange rates to GBP, it looks like your used G-400 Custom is probably worth about £75-£100 more than a new Tanglewood TW-3. Offered for whatever it's worth, which may not be a whole lot given different markets and currencies, etc. Also the G-400s I was looking at might not be exactly the same model or age as yours -- they were the three-pickup customs, though.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 07:41:34 PM »

Based on a quick look at U.S. prices and exchange rates to GBP, it looks like your used G-400 Custom is probably worth about £75-£100 more than a new Tanglewood TW-3. Offered for whatever it's worth, which may not be a whole lot given different markets and currencies, etc. Also the G-400s I was looking at might not be exactly the same model or age as yours -- they were the three-pickup customs, though.
Really? Those TW3's seem about £300 new and my exact SG used going for about £250 from what I can see.

I'll be honest, as I think I've said, I'm not bothered about exact values as long as I'm not being stolen from.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 07:46:02 PM »

Really? Those TW3's seem about £300 new and my exact SG used going for about £250 from what I can see.

I'll be honest, as I think I've said, I'm not bothered about exact values as long as I'm not being stolen from.

Actually "worth" in my post wasn't actually accurate--those were asking prices, not selling prices, and I had missed earlier where you said you paid 300 new. I'd trust what you've seen over my quick look. Doesn't look like a way off kilter trade, in any event. 

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 07:57:50 PM »

Actually "worth" in my post wasn't actually accurate--those were asking prices, not selling prices, and I had missed earlier where you said you paid 300 new. I'd trust what you've seen over my quick look. Doesn't look like a way off kilter trade, in any event.
:thup: appreciate it dude

Sleep now in the fire

Open_C

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
A Tanglewood was the guitar I got good on, I like them a lot.  Looks like quite a small bodied thing (think: Ed Sheeran :anguish:), will probably be better suited to playing with fingers* than blasting through Wonderwall, so really depends what you want to do with it.  If you primarily want to strum, you may be better off with a bigger bodied guitar which will give you a bit more response.  If you want to learn to play more sophisticated styles, it may well be a great choice for you.  Looks nice though, I'd have one; and if it's an acoustic guitar you want and you're reasonably confident that the guitar is decent, I wouldn't think twice about making the trade personally - cash value is to some extent neither here nor there when you're lumbered with an instrument you don't want any more :)

The only thing I'd caution is that, like I say, it looks like a parlour size guitar but it appears to have a neck joining the body at the 14th fret which is regular for most steel string acoustics but the 12th fret is more normal for a parlour size.  May cause problems with intonation up the neck (basically: goes out of tune as you play on higher frets) since the scale length might be unusual, but I don't know for sure.  Probably worth scanning a couple of user reviews (I wouldn't trust website reviews, they're all in manufacturers' pockets and Tanglewood are players these days) to see if there's any mention of intonation issues, even if you don't know what you're really reading for.

* or 'playing properly' :shifty:
« Last Edit: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 09:14:08 PM by OpenC »

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 December 2017, 10:16:38 PM »
A Tanglewood was the guitar I got good on, I like them a lot.  Looks like quite a small bodied thing (think: Ed Sheeran :anguish:), will probably be better suited to playing with fingers* than blasting through Wonderwall, so really depends what you want to do with it.  If you primarily want to strum, you may be better off with a bigger bodied guitar which will give you a bit more response.  If you want to learn to play more sophisticated styles, it may well be a great choice for you.  Looks nice though, I'd have one; and if it's an acoustic guitar you want and you're reasonably confident that the guitar is decent, I wouldn't think twice about making the trade personally - cash value is to some extent neither here nor there when you're lumbered with an instrument you don't want any more :)

The only thing I'd caution is that, like I say, it looks like a parlour size guitar but it appears to have a neck joining the body at the 14th fret which is regular for most steel string acoustics but the 12th fret is more normal for a parlour size.  May cause problems with intonation up the neck (basically: goes out of tune as you play on higher frets) since the scale length might be unusual, but I don't know for sure.  Probably worth scanning a couple of user reviews (I wouldn't trust website reviews, they're all in manufacturers' pockets and Tanglewood are players these days) to see if there's any mention of intonation issues, even if you don't know what you're really reading for.

* or 'playing properly' :shifty:
Aye it's parlor size or summit. The kid put it up against a standard acoustic and it didn't look that much smaller, same size fret board etc.

Will be sure to read reviews. :thup:

Sleep now in the fire

Open_C

« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 December 2017, 07:20:51 AM »

Yeah, it's the body that's smaller which (generally) means that there'll be less bass and mid response so not ideal for strumming or if you want a bit of projection; they tend to sound a bit boxy when used for that purpose, not very rich and full.  I like a guitar that size, but I play fingerstyle/classical so they suit me perfectly :thup:

My only concern would be the slightly unusual arrangement with the neck but folk guitars / 000 size guitars all join at the 14th and are also fairly small, so it's probably a non-issue.