Author Topic: Rafa Benítez: "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I did not trust them"  (Read 918627 times)

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
Re: Rafa Benítez: "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I did not trust them"
« Reply #17775 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 05:22:07 pm »
Edwards come out with any anti-Rafa garbage in response?

Online ToonArmy1892

• General Member
Re: Rafa Benítez: "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I did not trust them"
« Reply #17776 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 05:26:20 pm »
Rafa man  :love:

More love for the club than the spineless b******s that have allowed Ashley to rebrand it as Ashley FC which is now complete.

So-called supporters.

Aye right.

Cheers c***s for paying Ashley to let Rafa leave for China replaced by Steve f***ing Bruce.

You’d cry I’d you didn’t laugh :lol:

I did actually shed a tear when Rafa left.

Propa fan me.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #17777 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 05:27:41 pm »

Only a matter of time....

Offline David Edgar

• General Member
« Reply #17778 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 05:31:09 pm »
Edwards is amusingly silent today. 

Online geordiedean

• General Member
« Reply #17779 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 08:26:19 pm »
Rafa coming out quoting Confucius whereas Bruce asking 'What the f*** is going on?'.

Has there ever been a better demonstration of what we had to what we now have?

It's like going from a professor of sports studies to some clueless chav with 1 CSE
and now Tudor's gone down for Newcastle

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #17780 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 08:28:17 pm »
Rafa coming out quoting Confucius whereas Bruce asking 'What the f*** is going on?'.

Has there ever been a better demonstration of what we had to what we now have?

It's like going from a professor of sports studies to some clueless chav with 1 CSE

Er, excuse me, only one of those fellas is a published novelist.

Offline Ryan

• General Member
  • Rafa #1
« Reply #17781 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 10:30:32 pm »

Not sure he can embarass himself any further, absolute clown.

Online ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #17782 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 10:31:59 pm »

Not sure he can embarass himself any further, absolute clown.

He really is like, it's been incredible the way he's went on.

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #17783 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 11:07:46 pm »
Cannot wait for his return once Mike pops his clogs.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #17784 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 11:17:33 pm »
Edwards has said that Rafa only has eyes on money and couldn't care less about Newcastle and yet he continuously explains his position and wishes us all the best 
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #17785 on: Tuesday 13 August 2019, 11:22:51 pm »

Pipe dream s*** there. Would f***ing love it.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #17786 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 01:47:06 am »

He’s on the TF podcast, haven’t listened yet but I’m sure he’ll be spouting drivel on that

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/podcast-newcastle-united-lose-premier-league-opener-to-arsenal-with-special-guest-luke-edwards/
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline Fitzgerald

• General Member
« Reply #17787 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 02:25:08 am »

Imagine! Then again the sheep don't deserve him back.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #17788 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:06:57 am »
Loved Rafa’s eloquent savagery, especially the threat of more to come come - what can Ashley have said that’s worse than the already-public “paint the walls” and “no player didn’t sign because of facilities” quotes?
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #17789 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:20:07 am »
The statement doesn't really tie in with the rather more optimistic noises that Rafa was making towards the end of last season, and the apparent position of the club of hoping till the last minute that Rafa would sign.

There's a comment about the takeover in there, which indicates to me that Rafa was putting things on hold in case that went ahead and he had the chance to work with a different owner who would loosen the purse strings.

As for being offered a contract on the same money with less control over transfers, I suspect that the situation was that Rafa had the choice between a long contract with more control, or a short-term rolling contract with less control, if he didn't want to commit at that point. The club have made it clear that they don't want to spend large transfer fees for a manager who could quit any moment, and be left with players that the new man didn't want.

This also explains the curious impasse over Joelinton, where Rafa seems to have taken the position that he quite liked the player, but not at that price. The club would only spend that sort of money for a manager with a long-term commitment, but Rafa wanted to see what developed in other areas.

So we had a complete impasse until the club had to take action in order to prepare for the new season.

People can still criticise the club for unnecessary penny-pinching if that's how they see it, but I think Rafa's behaviour was a little more complicated than his statement indicates.
People generalise too much.

Online Bondedcrown

« Reply #17790 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:25:39 am »
Dear me!

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #17791 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:29:56 am »
The statement doesn't really tie in with the rather more optimistic noises that Rafa was making towards the end of last season, and the apparent position of the club of hoping till the last minute that Rafa would sign.

I'm guessing he should have just announced he was leaving in March then.

Online Bondedcrown

« Reply #17792 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:31:50 am »
Ashley doesn't care about the club as a footballing institution, why not develop  the training ground/youth academy and the stadium regardless of the manager?

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #17793 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:32:46 am »
Cronky man, that's a helluva lot of speculation in favor of the people who are known to lie and deceive the fans. You can't just make up an imaginary contract offer to argue against what Rafa has said. :lol:
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
Re: Rafa Benítez: "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I did not trust th
« Reply #17794 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:33:48 am »

There's a comment about the takeover in there, which indicates to me that Rafa was putting things on hold in case that went ahead and he had the chance to work with a different owner who would loosen the purse strings.

As for being offered a contract on the same money with less control over transfers, I suspect that the situation was that Rafa had the choice between a long contract with more control, or a short-term rolling contract with less control, if he didn't want to commit at that point. The club have made it clear that they don't want to spend large transfer fees for a manager who could quit any moment, and be left with players that the new man didn't want.

This also explains the curious impasse over Joelinton, where Rafa seems to have taken the position that he quite liked the player, but not at that price. The club would only spend that sort of money for a manager with a long-term commitment, but Rafa wanted to see what developed in other areas.

So we had a complete impasse until the club had to take action in order to prepare for the new season.

People can still criticise the club for unnecessary penny-pinching if that's how they see it, but I think Rafa's behaviour was a little more complicated than his statement indicates.

You don't think that was more to do with
MA: we'll give you XXXXX if you sign
RB: OK, sounds good, very promising
MA: well, are you going to sign?
RB: Can I have it in writing?
MA: ...
MA: No
RB: OK well until you actually give me proof you're serious I'm not signing
MA: Bye then OH IT'S BZG'S FAULT THEY DIDN'T WANT HIM, OH HE ONLY WENT FOR MONEY, OH HE PLAYED THE FANS, OH KEITH PLEASE PUT OUT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO CONVINCE THESE STUPID GULLIBLE f***ers THAT IT WAS HIS FAULT

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #17795 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:48:14 am »
I read Rafa’s reference to the 24yo thing as meaning he knew well in advance Mike Ashley would never sign Rondon. Joelinton was what Ashley was spending his £40m on, not Rondon and the change on facilities. At that point, anything the club offered Rafa was “not serious”. Hope of a takeover was his second option (!), or getting another job

Gotta say I found Cronky’s read a bit different than mine, but there are a million reasons both NUFC and Rafa spoke obliquely about the future during the season.
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #17796 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:52:17 am »

Any luck getting your Mike Ashley Wonderland chant going at the game?
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #17797 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:52:41 am »
Cronky man, that's a helluva lot of speculation in favor of the people who are known to lie and deceive the fans. You can't just make up an imaginary contract offer to argue against what Rafa has said. :lol:

I didn't make that up myself. In that interview with the Daily Mail, Ashley said that the Rafa camp were asking for a one year extension, but he wanted to sign Rafa long-term. Presumably the one year extension was to give Rafa time to see what was happening with a takeover.

People generalise too much.

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
Rafa Benítez: "After three years of unfulfilled promises, I did not trust them"
« Reply #17798 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 08:57:29 am »

I didn't make that up myself. In that interview with the Daily Mail, Ashley said that the Rafa camp were asking for a one year extension, but he wanted to sign Rafa long-term. Presumably the one year extension was to give Rafa time to see what was happening with a takeover.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You honestly believe - with Mike Ashley's track record of wanting yes-men and stooges who won't question him - that is true. Any of it!?

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #17799 on: Wednesday 14 August 2019, 09:00:31 am »

Oh sweet baby jesus

The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

Gutierrez was found to be a "credible and convincing witness".

Managing director Charnley's evidence was described as "evasive and lacking in credibility".

A decade later :

Quote from: Cronky
Hey guys, Mike Ashley said Rafa eats babies in an interview, sure glad we got rid of that monster - isn't Mike swell - we should be thankful for everything he has done for us, so much better than those dark days of Keegan and Robson
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"