Author Topic: US Soccer  (Read 137752 times)

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
Re: US Soccer
« Reply #4550 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 12:38:43 AM »
Chelsea fans in the US are basically all hipsters
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #4551 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 01:11:57 AM »
Since this is bumped, we're currently in the midst of another freakout because several dual nationals have said no one from the senior usmnt staff have contacted them. Mexico actively meeting with two. Fun stuff

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #4552 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 01:53:43 AM »
Juergen would have

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #4553 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 05:50:30 AM »
Since this is bumped, we're currently in the midst of another freakout because several dual nationals have said no one from the senior usmnt staff have contacted them. Mexico actively meeting with two. Fun stuff
Welcome to experiencing the CSA. I think fans find more potential canadians and make them known in forums than they do. They still dont call lol

Don't worry you are still managing to poach Canadians.  David aside :)
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline CaliMag

• Ser Spoiler
  • General Member
« Reply #4554 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 06:48:09 AM »
Welcome to experiencing the CSA. I think fans find more potential canadians and make them known in forums than they do. They still dont call lol

Yeah, Sydney La Roux was probably our best poach. Bonus points: she’s smoking hot too.
One of the few remaining non-hystericals.

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #4555 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 07:25:57 AM »

Yeah, Sydney La Roux was probably our best poach. Bonus points: she’s smoking hot too.
We got Janine Beckie though so it levels out!

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #4556 on: Thursday 1 August 2019, 03:38:20 PM »

We only got her for like one major tournament, too. The Aron Johannsson of the women's team

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4557 on: Sunday 1 September 2019, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #4558 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 03:44:20 AM »
34 years since Canada last beat the States. Many will say the US performance was garbage. It was, but Canada were immense and outplayed the US in every department, it could have been 4 or 5. Huge win considering how Canada and other Nations have been screwed by Fifa for WC qualifying. Those ranking points will be invaluable. The return leg in Orlando next month will be huge.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #4559 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 05:34:23 AM »
Aye Canada were great and in Davies, they have something to be excited about.

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #4560 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 05:41:42 AM »
Didn’t realise the guy from Consett who was manager of the ladies team is the men’s team’s manager now. Quite surprised his name hasn’t been linked with the Sunderland job.
?s=21

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #4561 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 08:23:38 AM »
I saw the first half, Canada were the better team. For the USA, Yedlin was their best player, which shows how well the rest of them did.

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #4562 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 08:27:12 AM »
Didn’t realise the guy from Consett who was manager of the ladies team is the men’s team’s manager now. Quite surprised his name hasn’t been linked with the Sunderland job.
John Herdman. He’s been the men’s national team manager for about a 2 years now. He’s got overall charge of every team from the juniors, upwards. In that regard he’s very much like Rafa where he likes overall control and has an overall vision. He’s much more attacking minded though, and Canada are thriving through him, not just the national team, but at all levels.
For what it’s worth though he’s a massive Newcastle fan. I’d love for him to be given a chance at a club over here, but Sunderland won’t have the patience for him to settle his style of play in, and it would be terrible if he went there and they ruined his chances.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4563 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 12:15:17 PM »
Gregg Oot

Offline Segun Oluwaniyi

• babatunde
  • General Member
  • Dope fresh outta Africa that never been stepped on
« Reply #4564 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
It is bizarre how rubbish the United States are now. Honestly, the talent is just poor outside of Pulisic and even his progress has stalled for two years now. I saw the match yesterday and the Davies boy was a class above anything the US could purport to have. Not sure when America became so weak-minded on the pitch, either. From 2002 to 2014, I thought of them as a physical team that was extremely hard-working/defensively organised and could rely on their one or two good attacking players to create a few chances. There is not any of this now. They just play passively and let themselves be bullied when playing away to the Central American countries and now even Canada which has no use for football.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #4565 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 03:25:48 PM »
The physicality aspect is a huge difference. We used to be tough to play against in 9/10 matches even if we were outplayed by a better team. I don't really know what happened there. There's some talent coming along, more than in the past, but they're mostly still a few years off and that leaves us with Pulisic, McKennie, and Tyler Adams, whenever he gets healthy. I suspect we'll luck into being average or above average in 5 years because of the talent coming through alone, but that ignores a lot of the issues with USSF that don't look like they're getting fixed anytime soon.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4566 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 04:16:08 PM »
USSF is plagued by nepotism and chronically-s*** decision-making. Even if they sack Berhalter, which I can’t see them doing any time soon, the major power brokers will still be ensconced at the top. It’s disheartening, because we do have quite a few talented players coming up through the ranks.

It defies logic that 1) it took them over a year to actually hire Berhalter, who was apparently the only name they had in mind from the beginning and 2) they didn’t even entertain the idea of interviewing established managers like Tata Martino or Julen Lopetegui, both of whom were allegedly interested in the job.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4567 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 04:21:06 PM »
Subbing off Pulisic in the 60’ is some Pardew s***.

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #4568 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
It is bizarre how rubbish the United States are now. Honestly, the talent is just poor outside of Pulisic and even his progress has stalled for two years now. I saw the match yesterday and the Davies boy was a class above anything the US could purport to have. Not sure when America became so weak-minded on the pitch, either. From 2002 to 2014, I thought of them as a physical team that was extremely hard-working/defensively organised and could rely on their one or two good attacking players to create a few chances. There is not any of this now. They just play passively and let themselves be bullied when playing away to the Central American countries and now even Canada which has no use for football.
For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure Canada is in the top 10 countries with the most amount of registered players. Ok the country is massive, but it only has a population of 40m, which is smaller than both the UK and California. I understand that previously Canada have been s*** and not really produced anyone of any real quality, however the interest in the sport is there and it’s growing. I think 5-10 years time, North American football will be dominated by Canada, Mexico, and the USA. You have to say though, the USA and Mexico are certainly on a downward spiral from where they used to be.

Offline Segun Oluwaniyi

• babatunde
  • General Member
  • Dope fresh outta Africa that never been stepped on
« Reply #4569 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 06:28:41 PM »
For what it’s worth, I’m pretty sure Canada is in the top 10 countries with the most amount of registered players. Ok the country is massive, but it only has a population of 40m, which is smaller than both the UK and California. I understand that previously Canada have been s*** and not really produced anyone of any real quality, however the interest in the sport is there and it’s growing. I think 5-10 years time, North American football will be dominated by Canada, Mexico, and the USA. You have to say though, the USA and Mexico are certainly on a downward spiral from where they used to be.
I don't deny that the game is growing in Canada. I've been to Toronto, Quebec, and Alberta and I have seen some interest (especially in the first two places), and like the US, it will benefit from a large population of first and second generation immigrants coming from places where football is very popular. The MLS teams and the new Canadian football league will also help. However, it is still not a football nation, and I doubt they will take over CONCACAF anytime soon though. Costa Rica is tiny, but has a great football culture and will remain more competitive. From what I saw at Gold Cup, Jamaica, Haiti, and Curacao have the national resources to be serious teams in the current generation before Canada if we are talking in the next 5-10 years.

I think America will be alright in the long run with the young players coming along, but they need to use the endless money that have to dump the current coach and hire a real manager right now. They will struggle out of the hexagonal again if he remains. The Nigerian FA has no money that they are willing to spend, and even we have a real manager.

Offline Toon Hoser

• General Member
« Reply #4570 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 08:25:41 PM »
U.S. sports media in a meltdown over this result.  Is it really so apocalyptic to lose one match to Canada?   :lol:

eg.: https://deadspin.com/the-usmnt-is-an-absolute-joke-and-its-all-u-s-soccers-1839098747?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #4571 on: Wednesday 16 October 2019, 08:27:27 PM »
Lots of rumours here that Sacramento Republic will be admitted to the MLS next week.

Offline CaliMag

• Ser Spoiler
  • General Member
« Reply #4572 on: Thursday 17 October 2019, 03:00:27 AM »
California Republic will certainly be an MLS team within the next few years.
Yes, losing to Canada is a big deal. There are 30m of them and they all play ice hockey.
Berthalder is useless and the USSF is garbage. Sack them all and put Caleb Porter up as the USMNT manager.
FFS... this is so irritating.
/rant
One of the few remaining non-hystericals.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #4573 on: Thursday 17 October 2019, 07:20:23 PM »
Berhalter is trash