Author Topic: Mikel Merino  (Read 193395 times)

Offline The Ideal Crash

• General Member
  • Paddy with a Northern Soul
Re: Mikel Merino
« Reply #2925 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 05:30:12 PM »
He started well but got injured and wasn’t quite the same for us after for whatever reason. Rafa didn’t seem that keen on giving him game time, yes he had a release clause but he could have said no, which he might have if his situation had of been different here.

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #2926 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
Good player. We always seemed to play better the minute he came on. I don't know why Rafa didn't rate him. Maybe a workrate / defending issue.
People generalise too much.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #2927 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 06:46:35 PM »
Diame becoming an absolute beast the second half of that season kind of ruined his chances
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Paully

• General Member
« Reply #2928 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 06:50:59 PM »
Good player. We always seemed to play better the minute he came on. I don't know why Rafa didn't rate him. Maybe a workrate / defending issue.

He got an injury and Diame and Shelvey turned undroppable!

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2929 on: Thursday 18 February 2021, 08:34:42 PM »
He also got homesick as well which is understandable.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #2930 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
Loved Merino, so rare we get a midfielder like him. Shame
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2931 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
Midfield three of Hamann, Cabaye and Merino would be droolworthy.
?s=21

Offline HawK

• General Member
« Reply #2932 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:15:11 AM »

Tbf most established PL teams grabbing players from their whole PL history could make an amazing first XI. Personally I'd have Lee or Batty in for Cabaye, though. Always liked Merino, don't think he did enough for long enough to be one of our best 3 though.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2933 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:32:09 AM »
I think Batty & Lee are ahead of all three but that three would be easy on the eye.
?s=21

Offline gjohnson

• General Member
« Reply #2934 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:40:13 AM »
I think Batty & Lee are ahead of all three but that three would be easy on the eye.

I wanna play a game.

Batty vs Tiote...who wins? You decide, make your choice

Online Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2935 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:43:29 AM »
He also got homesick as well which is understandable.  I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Yeah, genuinely seemed like the primary reason he left so early. Iirc he came alone as a 20/21 year old on loan for 6 months before we signed him. Not always easy to settle/transition seamlessly I imagine, couple that with a pretty bad injury and it's no surprise he was longing for Spain/home comforts, particularly being from Pamplona with an opportunity to play for Sociedad.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline Manxst

• General Member
« Reply #2936 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:44:16 AM »

I wanna play a game.

Tiote in the one in 20 games when he had a stormer. Batty in the other 19 to do the consistent stuff.

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2937 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:47:52 AM »

I wanna play a game.

On their day, the pairing of Cabaye and Tiote could be competitive with just about anyone. They were excellent together. Used to start games expecting to win the midfield battle (unless Yaya Toure was involved). Imagine that.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #2938 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:49:58 AM »
I still think Tiote's performance against Man United under pards was one of the best midfield performances I've ever seen in our shirt
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2939 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
Rooney was having an incredible season and Tiote bullied him out of the game to the point where Fergie just took him off. Was f***ing scenes.

Online ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #2940 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
Yeah he was, incredible performance. It used to be on YT but was taken down I think. I used to watch it all the time :lol:

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #2941 on: Friday 19 February 2021, 11:00:47 AM »
Same, I used to show it and wax lyrical about how supreme this performance was to people who had literally 0 interest... and I wonder why I don't have a big friendship circle  :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 20 February 2021, 10:54:56 AM by Infinitely Content »

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #2942 on: Saturday 20 February 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
I'd opt for Batty, but with some reluctance. I don't think he made best use of his all-round talent. I actually saw him play for Leeds when he was about 20, and he displayed a lot of skill and creativity on the ball. At some stage of his career, he seemed to opt for a more conservative, defensive role, and to take on the persona of a hard man. He was a better player than he looked, if you get what I mean.
People generalise too much.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #2943 on: Saturday 20 February 2021, 04:08:30 PM »
Batty and it’s not even close.

Online TRon

• General Member
« Reply #2944 on: Saturday 20 February 2021, 04:13:57 PM »

Hamman was the standout signing of Dalglish's time here, although his time here was wasted by Kenny's ultra-defensive line ups.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2945 on: Saturday 20 February 2021, 04:15:25 PM »

Hamman was the standout signing of Dalglish's time here, although his time here was wasted by Kenny's ultra-defensive line ups.

He played 2 games under Dalglish.

Online TRon

• General Member
« Reply #2946 on: Saturday 20 February 2021, 04:46:33 PM »

He played 2 games under Dalglish.

Didn't realise he was out for so many games, but he was a good player. He would still have been wasted in a side with was usually filled with central midfielders and no width.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #2947 on: Sunday 21 February 2021, 12:18:20 AM »
Hamann and Speed were a great pairing.
?s=21