Author Topic: Jacob Murphy  (Read 113852 times)

Offline Stottie

• General Member
  • Aal these sheep and you've got nae bacon!
Re: Jacob Murphy
« Reply #1950 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 02:06:50 pm »
I reckon the only question is whether Murphy'll offer more from the bench than Atsu.

Our best wide players are Kenedy, then Ritchie. Ritchie never beats his man, but can whip it in low on a plate and does occasionally appear at the far post.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #1951 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 03:57:46 pm »
I like him, and I think he needs a run in the side. He's always needed an extended run in the side. Seems to me like a confidence player.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #1952 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 08:03:56 pm »
Very underwhelmed by his performance last night. There wasnt any tinge of excitement whenever he got the ball, you just felt like he wasnt gonna do anything with it and in truth, the one assist aside he did f all. Didnt look comfortable bringing the ball with his feet either, didnt look like he could beat a man, and didnt look like he had much pace. Perez came on and looked 10x the player. Even Atsu was trying and failing but Murphy is just very meh at the moment. Whatever it was that convinced Rafa to spend 14m on him issnt there atm and he needs to find it quick.

:thup:

I thought his fee was 12.5m, and he has never looked like an eight-figure player. Rafa's transfer business has generally been good (given the circumstances), but this one continues to baffle me. He's clearly not, and I don't think will ever be, a superior option to Ayoze.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #1953 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 09:17:19 pm »
Very underwhelmed by his performance last night. There wasnt any tinge of excitement whenever he got the ball, you just felt like he wasnt gonna do anything with it and in truth, the one assist aside he did f all. Didnt look comfortable bringing the ball with his feet either, didnt look like he could beat a man, and didnt look like he had much pace. Perez came on and looked 10x the player. Even Atsu was trying and failing but Murphy is just very meh at the moment. Whatever it was that convinced Rafa to spend 14m on him issnt there atm and he needs to find it quick.

I thought his fee was 12.5m, and he has never looked like an eight-figure player. Rafa's transfer business has generally been good (given the circumstances), but this one continues to baffle me. He's clearly not, and I don't think will ever be, a superior option to Ayoze.

Was he a Benitez pick, or did one of Ashley's underlings see him on YouTube?

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #1954 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 10:39:36 pm »
He’s a good player, he’s just very raw and need a bit of guidance and most importantly, experience.
I think his brother benefited from staying at Norwich for a year and getting games with them before moving on. In hindsight we should probably have loaned him back to Norwich, but we did need a player in his position and did spend £14m on him, so it was never going to happen.

yeah his brother benefited from staying at norwich a  bit longer.
he then moved to club where he was almost a guaranteed first teamer so played with little pressure on him.

jacob moved to a much bigger club that also happened to be the team the team he and his parents supported. 50k demanding fans in a massive stadium. often having to come on late as a sub and only minutes to show what he could do.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #1955 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 11:42:15 pm »

Fair point - it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst our other transfer dealings.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #1956 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:34:36 am »

Fair point - it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst our other transfer dealings.

I genuinely don't know who sanctioned the signing, but someone saw enough to drop 12.5m on him which wouldn't be done lightly.  I very much doubt it was done on his current ability, which appears to be League 1 standard, but perhaps someone thought he had lots of potential (little bit of pace, terrible footballing brain - can be developed).  I suspect that someone needs handing their P45 for wasting 12.5m...

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #1957 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:43:53 am »
How do you come to the conclusion he's League 1 standard?

Offline steve_69

• General Member
« Reply #1958 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 10:02:51 am »
His general game doesn't seem great but he does have an end product, which is arguably the most important part and the bit that's hardest to coach into a player.
TBH i'd rather have a player who looks a bit crap but creates and scores when he does play, than one who has loads of touches and looks busy/neat but does f*** all (Colback springs to mind).

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #1959 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 10:22:46 am »

His crib had lead paint.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #1960 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 12:04:09 pm »

Because he's pump.

Offline jackyboy

• General Member
« Reply #1961 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 12:09:43 pm »
The way he took his goal at Man City tells me there's some class in this lad
I went out with a girl once and she asked me to kiss her where it was wet and smelly...........So I took her to Middlesbrough

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #1962 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 12:25:11 pm »
League 1 standard.  Up there with some of the worst s**** ever posted on this forum.

He's got talent but clearly he needs more games and more belief in himself.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #1963 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 12:38:46 pm »

Because he's pump.

He's proved himself in the Championship though

Offline Fenham Mag

• General Member
« Reply #1964 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 01:00:02 pm »
Murphy will prove he is PL quality given a few years.

I'm quite excited to see how he develops.
I really like Fenham Mag. Great guy and a very good poster.

Offline Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #1965 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:34:52 pm »
:lol: players can't just be a bit s*** these days. They have to either be Premier League quality or be not good enough an arbitrary league several echelons below where they'd quite blatantly be the best player in the division by light years.

League 1 is the current favourite, a division where the likes of Ivan Toney and Marcus Maddison are pissing it but 12m Jacob Murphy who was class in the Championship would struggle.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #1966 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 08:07:42 pm »
Jacob Reese Murphy

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #1967 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:27:19 pm »
Now the m*ckems are in league 1, it's the new go to term for a player who is s***.

Murphy is s***, ergo League 1 standard.

Rock solid logic.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #1968 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 03:15:20 am »
I like him, and I think he needs a run in the side. He's always needed an extended run in the side. Seems to me like a confidence player.
League 1 standard.  Up there with some of the worst s**** ever posted on this forum.

He's got talent but clearly he needs more games and more belief in himself.

Bang on from both. If he were to play every game from now on I reckon in time he would give us more going forward than Ritchie would and has or rather hasnt. He has certain attributes we would benefit much more from in attack, the team in general and certain individuals.

But Rafa obviously values what Ritchie guarantees every game off the ball tactically and defensively more than anything else, things Rafa doesn’t need to keep at him to extract or work on him to get out of, which he will have to do with Murphy at this stage.

I can see the dilemma he faces, especially as that side of Ritchie’s game does help us a great deal off the ball, but it’s something Rafa prioritises over on the ball and attacking stuff which Ritchie is capable of on his day, but those days are few and far between.

I honestly feel Murphy has more to his game on the ball than Ritchie does, but we aren’t going to see that all too often if he’s coming on off the bench or gets a start here and there.

Off it, he can do what Ritchie does in time with the help of Rafa, but even then the priority should be what he can do going forward and the more he does and the better he does the less he will be required or depended on off the ball defensively.

We will only find out if he gets a run in the team and again I think he’s the one player we have who doesn’t start many games worth giving a try. I fear that will only happen due to an injury to Ritchie, however.

You can’t just write him off though and put him down as a League One player, not when he hasn’t had a chance to show what he can do which he can only do with a run of games. It’s unfair to expect he does something great or plays a blinder coming off the bench or when he gets a rare start, least of all write him off when that doesn’t materialise unsurprisingly.

Let’s be honest, even some of those that start every game haven’t exactly showed any class or are performing well going forward, not our attacking players away. If the best thing you can say about Ritchie after a game is how hard he works, how much he does off the ball, and how passionate he is, then Murphy just needs to match that.

Nah, sorry but we need a bit more on the ball and in that respect I’d wager Murphy over Ritchie would score more, create more, be more of an outlet and more of a general threat to the opposition if he had the kind of run in the side he has had.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #1969 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:31:16 pm »
Ritchies been crap this season too. I would be tempted to forget about wingers all together and pack the centre of midfield.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #1970 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:37:48 pm »
Aye that will really help Rondon

Offline ujpest doza

• Thick as f*ck
  • General Member
« Reply #1971 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 09:07:01 pm »
Needs to play and be told to go and express himself and enjoy it and not worry as he;ll be playing the next few games as well with no fear of being dropped.

Needs to be praised and boosted by his manager and he'll gain confidence and prove he's a decent player with a lot of pace.

Offline Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #1972 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 09:25:54 pm »
Ritchies been crap this season too. I would be tempted to forget about wingers all together and pack the centre of midfield.

:lol: making a late concerted play for forum divvy of the year I see.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Tiotes Witch Doctor

• General Member
  • Rafa judges you.
« Reply #1973 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 03:46:30 pm »
Don't rate him but hes been managed awfully by Rafa IMO, the rare times he does contribute something like a goal or assist hes almost always immediately dropped, how will he ever progress? If there is more in there we'll never see it unless we have a huge injury crisis.

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #1974 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 03:48:30 pm »
I think once he starts performing over 90 mins he will earn more starts.