Author Topic: Guitarists  (Read 37044 times)

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
Re: Guitarists
« Reply #775 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
I'm trying to play again but keep losing interest.  I used to play a lot and was in a lot of bands when I was young but I just get frustrated with myself too easily.  I can play most things but just not as easily as I used to.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #776 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
I really regret not getting a guitar when I was like 14, tbh. Would have been just what I needed.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #777 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
I really regret not getting a guitar when I was like 14, tbh. Would have been just what I needed.
Yeah, you might have been laid by now if you had.  Is that why you've taken it up?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #778 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Justin Guitar on youtube is fantastic.

Fender is free for three months atm

Guitar tuna is a pretty handy app as well.

:anguish: Dropped mine off with that guy for a craftsman's going over. Won't have it for a week. Already twitching.
Cheers👍
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #779 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:28:22 PM »
Yeah, you might have been laid by now if you had.  Is that why you've taken it up?

:lol: No, it is not. It's just a fun thing to do.

Offline Lazarus

« Reply #780 on: Friday 15 May 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
[emoji38] I'm not even good. I just like picking it up and strumming nonsense.

People have made careers doing exactly that  :lol:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #781 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:07:45 AM »
Justin Guitar on youtube is fantastic.

Fender is free for three months atm

Guitar tuna is a pretty handy app as well.

:anguish: Dropped mine off with that guy for a craftsman's going over. Won't have it for a week. Already twitching.

Hell yeah dude, so stoked for you.

Has anyone posted videos of themselves in here yet?
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #782 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:17:16 AM »
I did a few years back (maybe different thread) will see if I've still got any

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #783 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:34:52 AM »
From eight years ago, a not entirely successful stab at Julia Florida by Barrios (I have a Country Boy Building Things With His Dad explanation for the army surplus trousers [emoji38] distinctly remember what I was doing later that day, although I don't remember recording this or why I felt such a rough take was worthy of an upload - probably just because I nearly got the difficult harmonic run at the end [emoji38])

..and an early version of my own arrangement of Ashokan Farewell, which I also don't remember recording but which was probably just to share with my cousin as a proof of concept. Not sure if this is the DADGAD or Open C :shifty: version

Never finished tidying up that Ashokan Farewell, maybe I should dust it off :)
« Last Edit: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:46:22 AM by OpenC »

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #784 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:35:51 AM »
You can see the aforementioned twisted right hand at play in Julia Florida. It's ok with the steel string but ruinous for proper nylon string playing.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #785 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
The same cousin also challenged me to transcribe the bit of music in Empire Strikes Back where Yoda lifts the xwing out of the swamp [emoji38] will see if I can find that later [emoji38]

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #786 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 10:35:08 AM »
From eight years ago, a not entirely successful stab at Julia Florida by Barrios (I have a Country Boy Building Things With His Dad explanation for the army surplus trousers [emoji38] distinctly remember what I was doing later that day, although I don't remember recording this or why I felt such a rough take was worthy of an upload - probably just because I nearly got the difficult harmonic run at the end [emoji38])

..and an early version of my own arrangement of Ashokan Farewell, which I also don't remember recording but which was probably just to share with my cousin as a proof of concept. Not sure if this is the DADGAD or Open C :shifty: version

Never finished tidying up that Ashokan Farewell, maybe I should dust it off :)

Bravo! Some very nice playing in there - I've loved Ashokan Farewell since I first heard it in the Ken Burns American Civil War series.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #787 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
I played in punk rock bands back in the 70s and 80s, then indie bands in the late 90s, then stopped.
The wife bought me a Rickenbacker 330 for my birthday 15 years back, but didn't have an amp so eventually got rid.
But when I turned 50, decided to get back on the horse.
Bought a Taylor acoustic and really enjoyed playing a well made and set-up guitar.
Then these last few years I've gone crazy.
Bought a Thunderbird bass.
Then a year later bought a Gibson Les Paul.
Then 6 months later a Fender Telecaster, then another 50s Fender Telecaster.
Then an SG.
I have been recently looking for a decent Jazzmaster for the tremolo sound, but I suddenly realised that I only really need one guitar to regularly play.
I love the 50s style Telecaster, so my plan is to divest of everything else, then buy a small acoustic, and a Fender Bass, then I'm done.
There's no point in having so many guitars, when most modelling amps now allow you to sound like any guitar, any amp, any effects.
I love the excitement of getting a new guitar, but I think focussing on the best guitar you've ever played is the way forward.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #788 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 11:43:21 AM »

Bravo! Some very nice playing in there - I've loved Ashokan Farewell since I first heard it in the Ken Burns American Civil War series.

Thanks man :) yeah, it's a lovely little tune and I remember it suiting whatever tuning I was using there down to the ground. I think it's probably in open C looking at my hand positions, that awkward bass note at the fifth fret with the little finger looks very open c'ish. Has always been my favourite open tuning, so deep and resonant (though I play it a semitone down again so open B).

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #789 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
And be careful KK.. I haven't played electric for decades so things may have moved on but I don't believe any modeling could genuinely make a tele at the bridge sound like a les paul or sg at the neck, or vice versa. You may end up dissatisfied :)

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #790 on: Saturday 16 May 2020, 12:38:21 PM »

Thanks man :) yeah, it's a lovely little tune and I remember it suiting whatever tuning I was using there down to the ground. I think it's probably in open C looking at my hand positions, that awkward bass note at the fifth fret with the little finger looks very open c'ish. Has always been my favourite open tuning, so deep and resonant (though I play it a semitone down again so open B).

Nice one. I went through a Martin Carthy phase years back, but found it beyond me to actually play any of his stuff  :crazy2:
I've got a similar playing background to King Kerouac; played in rock/punk bands in my teens and twenties, was reenergised by the 90s guitar scene (my band played all over for ten years, some pretty decent gigs), finally ended up as a predominantly acoustic player, happily noodling on with my little Taylor.

Offline Lazarus

« Reply #791 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 06:15:29 PM »
Just bought this: Gibsom Les Paul Standard 60's 'Unburst'.

Photo doesnt do it justice.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Amartya Sen, motherfucker
« Reply #792 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 08:28:36 PM »
That's sex.

Offline Lazarus

« Reply #793 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 08:51:05 PM »
That's sex.

Indeed. Have you ever smelled a new Gibson? That creamy vanilla smell is lush.

Ive spent just as much time sniffing it as playing it  :lol:

Online Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #794 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 11:08:49 PM »
Are Gibson as a company ok now? They were in financial trouble the last i heard
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Lazarus

« Reply #795 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 11:17:24 PM »

I think they 'streamlined' a couple of years ago so all is good.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Amartya Sen, motherfucker
« Reply #796 on: Friday 22 May 2020, 11:22:50 PM »

It was in a bad way after buying Onkyo and TEAC, but went though a bankruptcy restructuring and was headed back in a good direction, returning its attention to guitars. No clue how COVID's affecting it, though.