Author Topic: Things You Miss In Newcastle (or the North East)  (Read 5796 times)

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
Re: Things You Miss In Newcastle (or the North East)
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:12:30 pm »
Worswick Street bus station.

"Stand cleeeaa ov tha doors pleez" on the Metro, rather than a posh woman saying "Doors closing".
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Foluwashola

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:20:13 pm »
Worswick Street bus station.

"Stand cleeeaa ov tha doors pleez" on the Metro, rather than a posh woman saying "Doors closing".

Second one is good. Used to love imitating that to me grandma when a bairn.

Offline RodneyCisse

• General Member
  • <3
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:23:23 pm »
Wimpy and woolworthes in the new gate centre.
LGM

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
McGurk Sports.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:29:56 pm »
The all-night garage at Gallowgate.
The Tyneside Cinema Cafe.
The Egypt Cottage on a Friday night when The Tube was on.
Quayside Market.
The Grainger Market.
The World Famous Trent House.
Getting the newest issue of Viz comic before the rest of the UK.
Hearing the roar from St James Park all the way over the Tyne in Bensham.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:37:05 pm »
Quayside Market.
The Grainger Market.

Some of these things are still in place / still happen.

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 02:24:03 pm »
An all-night garage is scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit, no?

Offline Runner

« Reply #57 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 02:46:57 pm »
Jesmond before the students took over. The mixture of middle class families with half-way houses occupied by local 'characters' like Mad Malcolm, Moondancer, Mister and the man who picked up litter.
Moondancer !
Going back nearly 40 years now, an old mate of mine lived a few doors from him and knew him pretty well, inasmuch as anyone could be said to. For reasons that now escape me, me and mate went to see him in the little watch repair or whatever-it-was place in Handyside Arcade that he used to work in . One of the strangest afternoons I've ever spent...

Football Pink. Mad scrambles in Millers on the Two Ball Lonnen when the van driver chucked the bundle of papers in.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 03:03:31 pm »
Odeon, Metro Land, the Pink, pop bottle van or eggs and tatties van (also did sweets) coming around, Old Eldon Square with the pencil and somoene metioned one of my fave shops... Beatties!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 03:07:24 pm »
When the third floor in Fenwick was almost all toys.

Also Subs Bench
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 03:10:10 pm »
When the third floor in Fenwick was almost all toys.

Also Subs Bench

They used to basically have a big f*** off table with lots of toys on show to play with them, kind of like try before you buy. I used to steal a few Transformers for my collection back in the day and was once stopped and said it was my own from home. OK then son :D

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 03:14:20 pm »
The thing I most miss about Newcastle is its character, its losing it massively with an ever increasing influx of students, hotels, student accommodation and new buildings.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 04:03:30 pm »
It was a life saver when I lived there.
The house I rented was so cold, I would go and buy bags of coal from the garage in the middle of the night.

So, not scraping the barrel. No.  :p

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 04:04:22 pm »
Quayside Market.
The Grainger Market.

Some of these things are still in place / still happen.

I moved away 18 years ago.
I misread the thread title...

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 05:29:05 pm »
Jesmond before the students took over. The mixture of middle class families with half-way houses occupied by local 'characters' like Mad Malcolm, Moondancer, Mister and the man who picked up litter.
Moondancer !
Going back nearly 40 years now, an old mate of mine lived a few doors from him and knew him pretty well, inasmuch as anyone could be said to. For reasons that now escape me, me and mate went to see him in the little watch repair or whatever-it-was place in Handyside Arcade that he used to work in . One of the strangest afternoons I've ever spent...

Football Pink. Mad scrambles in Millers on the Two Ball Lonnen when the van driver chucked the bundle of papers in.

Kinnell, Moondancer! I mean, harmless, but mad. I remember thinking as a teenager "that is what I do not want to happen to me. No acid."

The Pink as well, used to pick it up on the way home after every home game. Man, there are people on here as old as me, who knew? :lol: :mick:
:) As you were.

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 05:37:40 pm »

Back when everywhere was shut by 2am they provided a vital service selling duty free booze. 5am Saturday and Sunday it was kids loading cans into taxis.

Offline Jackie Broon

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 05:52:56 pm »
Moondancer !

Kinnell, Moondancer! I mean, harmless, but mad. I remember thinking as a teenager "that is what I do not want to happen to me. No acid."

The Pink as well, used to pick it up on the way home after every home game. Man, there are people on here as old as me, who knew? :lol: :mick:

I don't think he was that harmless, my Mum saw him kick the s*** out of someone outside the Launderette next to Noonan's newsagent, which is now Daniella's.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 06:01:38 pm »
Moondancer !

I don't think he was that harmless, my Mum saw him kick the s*** out of someone outside the Launderette next to Noonan's newsagent, which is now Daniella's.

Oh. Teenage me may have misread the mad f***er. Carry on.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 07:12:38 pm »
Wow. Memories. I used to hang out in the arcade and it reeked of patchouli. Every now and then the skinheads used to storm in, only to find out the hairies weren't all peace-loving hippies. I'd be long gone leaving only a cloud of dust where I used to be. :lol: Played whatever games machine was in Kard Bar too.

And, Jesus, The Man In The Moon. We always called it The Moon even when it was renamed the Jubilee in 77, you know, because Queenie. Christ, I was 15 then. I blame the parents. :lol: The lasses were unreal. Me and me mate would just sit there drooling at the skin-tight clothes - he was gonna be on bass, I would be lead and vox, drummers are ten a penny, we'd be beating the girls away with a shitty stick.

:okay:

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 07:24:43 pm »
The shout of "Ronnnnniiiiiieeeegil" from the city centre paper stands in the evenings. Not heard it for years so am assuming they've all gone.

Was telling my kids about it the other week, teaching them how to shout words that sounded slightly like Chronicle.

Offline Numbers

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
I just read Miss Newcastle and thought it was a Lush Lasses type of thread. Meh.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 07:39:25 pm »
The shout of "Ronnnnniiiiiieeeegil" from the city centre paper stands in the evenings. Not heard it for years so am assuming they've all gone.

Was telling my kids about it the other week, teaching them how to shout words that sounded slightly like Chronicle.
[emoji38] great shout (literally). Hadn't even noticed that one disappearing but you're right :(

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 07:55:24 pm »
quayside Market when it was big, and the only thing open on a sunday.

blind accordion player.

The Riverside

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 08:02:11 pm »
The original Riverside on Melbourne Street for gigs along with Egypt Cottage for pre gig drinks.

Wilders (starting point on a Thursday) and Dobsons (starting point on a Saturday).

Mayfair but even more so Diva's nightclub.

The Stage Door (midweek only for Nurses night though can't recall the night. Think it was a Tuesday :lol: )

Odeon & Queens cinemas.

Ronnnieeee Gillll as mentioned previously along with the old fella sat at Fenwick's door.

Binns (the sweet section).

The Computer Shop and later on and a few generations of video technology later Charlie's Games.