Author Topic: Things You Miss In Newcastle (or the North East)  (Read 5760 times)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
Things You Miss In Newcastle (or the North East)
« on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
I know there is/was a nostalgia thread but couldn't find it with Tapatalk and I wanted to keep this NE specific :)

What do you miss from Newcastle and around that isn't there/doesn't happen any more?  Was wandering around town today and had two specific memories of things I miss seeing/being there:

First, when that house in Cowgate was the only ridiculous Christmas lights house for miles and miles around. 

And second, the Farmer's Rest and the arcades at the Haymarket while waiting for a bus :) remember being a student in the mid 90s getting interviewed in the Farmer's by the Chronicle when they announced they were redeveloping Haymarket with M&S in mind.

Offline cp40

• General Member
Re: Things You Miss In Newcastle (or the North East)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 06:53:11 pm »
ah, walking up handyside arcade to the match, the shop that sold the ZX spectrum games.

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 10:13:31 pm »
Yellow buses.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 10:36:12 pm »
The old Eldon Square market area where the new part is now.

I can still remember the escalators up to Argos and the fitness shop

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:17:46 pm »
1980's Bigg Market.
Carricks bakers
Sunday on Armstrongs Bridge.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:30:24 pm »
The round cafe in Eldon Square was cool.

The Saltwell Park plane.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:33:55 pm »
Charlie's Games,
The zip line at the Bee Hive,
The massive slide in Heaton Park,
The Saltwell Park plane, even though I was terrified that it was going to take off and traumatised my mam when I told her that when I was on it it flew up to heaven and I saw my great grandma out the window.
Way before my time, but the Royal Arcade being removed and Pearl House being built instead of the beautiful architecture that was there beforehand is a disgrace.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:35:05 pm »
Watching games on beamback in the Odeon.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
Sunday on Armstrongs Bridge.

Had no idea it was no longer running. There's a food market there once a month though I think, on a Saturday.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:37:49 pm »
Pretty sure it's still on like. Every Sunday I've been it's been on. I remember it being mainly art, whereas now it's always food.
Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled some middle men who didn't do diddely.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:39:30 pm »
The Saltwell Park plane, even though I was terrified that it was going to take off

I did this exact thing :lol:

Probably scarred a generation of kids.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:40:54 pm »
Spud-u-like at the bottom of Percy St.
Callers Pegasus (for a department store it had a very niche record section)
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:42:06 pm »
Pretty sure it's still on like. Every Sunday I've been it's been on. I remember it being mainly art, whereas now it's always food.
Last time we went there were two stalls. One food at one end and one craft at the other.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:42:15 pm »
I thought callers pegasus was a travel agent? [emoji38]

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
Is and was but was also a department store. They used to put decent records on their Hi-Fi's for you to play. Loved the place.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:45:07 pm »
:lol: Likewise.

Bring back Lunn Poly, too.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:46:26 pm »
Bimbi's fish and chips, both Eldon Sq one and the one downstairs under the Odeon.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:47:08 pm »
Bimbi's fish and chips, both Eldon Sq one and the one downstairs under the Odeon.
Oh good call!

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:47:12 pm »

Is and was but was also a department store. They used to put decent records on their Hi-Fi's for you to play. Loved the place.

I didn't know that like.

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 June 2017, 11:51:38 pm »

I didn't know that like.
It was half way down Northumberland St, If I remember right where JD sports is.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=982536

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 12:01:43 am »
Earliest I remember that being was Hamley's, then Mark One, then HMV, then JD

{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 12:06:15 am »
Earliest I remember that being was Hamley's, then Mark One, then HMV, then JD
Might not be the exact location but in that area, but would only be a matter of yards out. I may be stretching it with "department store" but they done furniture, toys, electrics, had, as I said, a niche record department. Not sure if the travel agent was in there aswell or if it was always on Saville Row.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 12:24:28 am »
Anyone remember Beattie's in Eldon Square? It was where TGI' Friday's is now. I'm sure it was a national chain, but as a kid it was always special going into a model shop with a train set running above you on the ceiling.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 12:57:25 am »
Definitely a chain, there was one in Leeds. Yellow and black sign.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 June 2017, 01:06:55 am »
Definitely a chain, there was one in Leeds. Yellow and black sign.
Aye.