Author Topic: Grenfell Tower  (Read 47234 times)

Offline Greg

• General Member
Re: Grenfell Tower
« Reply #1075 on: Friday 29 June 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
There was a block in Camden that caught fire while I lived there, seemed to only affect the one flat though.

That's what should happen if some dickhead doesn't cover it in flammable cladding.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #1076 on: Sunday 1 July 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
So despite the fact we know f***ing why this happened:

Somehow it's the fire service that are being hung out to dry. :nope:

I get what you are saying Bluf the fire should never have happened in the first place. However what the inquiry has learned is that the fire service knew the fire was spreading and did not call an evacuation which cost several lives. Similar happened with the Manchester Arena bomb. Individuals aren’t to blame but both inquiries have found that as a central organisation the fire service is not able to make big decisions where there is a deviation from the norm.

Nethertheless other organisations will still be going up in the inquiry, it’s just the firefighters turn.

There is very much the same 'vibe' to this as there was to the Hillsborough disaster.
Obviously as we've learned to spot the 'danger signs', this clumsy attempt to shift blame toward the fire services is Route 1.
The next will be to ask the tabloids to dig up dirt on the fire fighters, residents. Ask the Sun to run a 'half of them were illegal' story.
Then attempt to push blame away from those truly responsible by controlling the confines and scope of the inquiry.

My hope is that as we're aware of the tactics used by the establishment over Hillsborough, we can monitor and counter-balance the propaganda as it comes.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #1077 on: Sunday 1 July 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Not really. Not at this stage, not yet anyway.

You do know what a public inquiry is? It has to look at every factor in the whole incident at this level of detail and that means difficult and challenging questioning of the many different parties involved.

It has determine exactly what happened, and then to work out what must be done to prevent it from happening again. They can’t just say it was the cladding wot done it. Case closed.

I’d take a bigger issue with the fact it’s a public inquiry not an inquest. Public inquiries do not have the power to say that a particular person is liable for acts they have committed, though the evidence can then be used for criminal proceedings
- that’s where the establishment will need to be held to account over their next move.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #1078 on: Sunday 1 July 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
Not really. Not at this stage, not yet anyway.

You do know what a public inquiry is? It has to look at every factor in the whole incident at this level of detail and that means difficult and challenging questioning of the many different parties involved.

It has determine exactly what happened, and then to work out what must be done to prevent it from happening again. They can’t just say it was the cladding wot done it. Case closed.

I’d take a bigger issue with the fact it’s a public inquiry not an inquest. Public inquiries do not have the power to say that a particular person is liable for acts they have committed, though the evidence can then be used for criminal proceedings
- that’s where the establishment will need to be held to account over their next move.

I don't think it's gonna be easy to apportion blame for Grenfell.
For a start, decades of 'Thatcherite' policies lead to the the general acceptance of 'savings' over 'safety' by the kind of Tory council we have in Kensington.
But obviously we're now finding out that New Labour councils also indulged in this dangerous practice over the years.
Not an easy one.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1079 on: Tuesday 3 July 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
The thing is that by the tome the fire brigade got there calling an evacuation was probably too late or already in progress naturally. The fear is that this inquiry will likely focus highly on the fire service and how somehow it will look like it was them who were in the wrong. Meanwhile the people putting up cheap cladding that isn’t totally fireproof are free to do so and councils and housing agencies will be free to keep tenants in buildings that either need to be torn down or heavily refurbished in order to comply with modern day safety practices.

The trouble is it’s the MP’s and their friends who own the construction companies who install cheap cladding and such to save money and the same MP’s who won’t want to increase the standard of housing health and safety measures as it will mean that somewhere along the line they would have to pay for it. On the flip side though if they can pin this on the fire service, say they are running inefffectively etc then they will soon be on their way to getting public option against the fire service in order make it easy for them to vote for more budget cuts and cutting staff numbers.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1080 on: Tuesday 3 July 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
There was a block in Camden that caught fire while I lived there, seemed to only affect the one flat though.

That's what should happen if some dickhead doesn't cover it in flammable cladding.

Yeap.  That looks contained to the single flat.

Online Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #1081 on: Tuesday 3 July 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
Went to a ted talk where there were justice for Grenfell speakers on Sunday. These people have a real appetite in the way hillsborough activists have had - I just hope something comes of it. Then bizarrely my block of flats sets on fire last night. You never figure it will happen

www.brianstormers.net podcast network

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #1082 on: Tuesday 3 July 2018, 01:17:03 PM »

Yeap.  That looks contained to the single flat.

I'm assuming the windows were closed too.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #1083 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 07:59:40 PM »
Brilliant idea

#WeShallNotRememberThem

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1084 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
:thup:

Completely unacceptable that buildings still have the issues especially around cladding as grenfell. 

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #1085 on: Saturday 16 November 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
There was another fire in Bolton last night after cladding in student accommodation caught fire.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #1086 on: Saturday 16 November 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
State of this comment:

Invalid Tweet ID

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1087 on: Sunday 17 November 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
There was another fire in Bolton last night after cladding in student accommodation caught fire.

It wasn't the same cladding. It was another type of flammable cladding that the government had been warned about.

They've got a f***ing catalogue of flammable cladding.

Offline Hudson

• General Member
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other peoples stuff.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #1090 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 08:13:28 PM »
Isn't data recoverable up to like 7 passes? They didn't make a back up? Nothing. Just one solitary laptop lol
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Online Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Bam Bam.
Soon you will find out the man I'm supposed to be.