Author Topic: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0  (Read 491491 times)

Offline Klaus

• General Member
Re: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0
« Reply #19000 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:26:01 am »
Scottish parliament have ruled that the suspension of Westminster is 'unlawful' :lol:

Apparently this means parliament technically isn't suspended any more.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #19001 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:26:55 am »
Holy s***. :lol:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19002 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:28:48 am »
Forgive my ignorance - I get my UK politics feed from here and The Guardian :lol:

I guess the next question would be "What sort of deal is he going to ask for?" but he's not going to say that now, and might not spell it out before an election.

One that facilitates his plans for government. In his speech he prioritises employment rights. He has always prioritised that in any deal he would be prepared to accept.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #19003 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:28:59 am »
BBC say it doesn't affect the suspension yet, supreme court hearing next week could order Parliament to restart.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19004 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:30:24 am »
Does this mean Nicola Sturgeon is going to kick down the doors of Westminster?

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #19005 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:30:59 am »
Sickening. Despite our decision to turn into a Banana Republic, thanks to the unelected Eurocrats on £m per week in the EU we're not even allowed to dictate what shape our republic is.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19006 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:33:47 am »

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #19007 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:41:40 am »
Wouldn't things be much easier if it wasn't for all these laws and red tape.

Offline JH

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #19008 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:49:21 am »
Scottish parliament have ruled that the suspension of Westminster is 'unlawful' :lol:

It’s an incredible ruling. Some of the highest judges in the UK are basically saying that Johnson lied to, and misled, the Queen.

If the Supreme Court allow this to stand (which they won’t), it makes all the precious constitutional crises look like child’s play.

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #19009 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:08:50 am »
Hoping Supreme Court upholds this ruling and Johnson gets a whammy for it all.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19010 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:27:14 am »
I think a second referendum is policy, but I'm not terribly sure.  They're saying if in power, they'll negotiate a deal based on their own red lines, then put it up against remain in a ref.  Dare say there'd be pressure applied to include no deal exit too, but don't think that has any real grounds.

Despite people claiming Labour will support remain in that referendum, more likely it'll be like last time with the party being officially for one or the other option and many MPs going the other way.  I don't think Corbyn wants to confirm this part yet though.  Like, genuinely believe he'd be happy to leave on a Labour deal, if it was along the lines of Norway or something, but admitting that right now would make him a dreaded brexiteer.  This is guesswork on my part. :aww:

:thup:

Who do you suppose would apply the pressure for no deal to be added, and what would they have to gain by splitting the leave option?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19011 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:38:10 am »

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #19012 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:42:28 am »
If the Supreme Court allow this to stand (which they won’t), 
Hoping Supreme Court upholds this ruling and Johnson gets a whammy for it all.
I know nothing about British Justice except how it worked in the colonies - any early predictions from informed commentators?
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #19013 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:45:15 am »
Wouldn't things be much easier if it wasn't for all these laws and red tape.

Of course they would. Just look at how much better the NHS is without the needless red tape.
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #19014 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:47:16 am »
If the ruling is upheld next Tuesday, I don't see how Boris could remain in power. Surely he would need to step down.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #19015 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:50:53 am »
If the ruling is upheld next Tuesday, I don't see how Boris could remain in power. Surely he would need to step down.

I’d prefer he stayed in and the yellowhammer stuff was released
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19016 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:51:46 am »

It’s an incredible ruling. Some of the highest judges in the UK are basically saying that Johnson lied to, and misled, the Queen.

If the Supreme Court allow this to stand (which they won’t), it makes all the precious constitutional crises look like child’s play.

Surely the Queen has a personal responsibility to not get scammed? If the decision is illegal, she is an accessory.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #19017 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:55:34 am »
She does what her executive asks, I don't think she's expected to form a legal judgement on it.

Anything to do with the Queen is basically ceremonial, has very little actual importance.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19018 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:58:25 am »
The queen can only get involved when it's a big constitutional crisis.  The last 1 she got involved in was in Australia.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19019 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:58:32 am »
She does what her executive asks, I don't think she's expected to form a legal judgement on it.

Anything to do with the Queen is basically ceremonial, has very little actual importance.

So she can get away with facilitating a crime by saying she thought it was just a parlour game.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #19020 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:58:43 am »

Yeah, if she turned something down there’d be hell on.

It’s all around Johnson’s neck this, seems like he’s made a few enemies and it’s coming home to roost.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #19021 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:00:32 pm »

So she can get away with facilitating a crime by saying she thought it was just a parlour game.

It your heroes fault, no-one else’s.

The queen can only get involved when it's a big constitutional crisis.  The last 1 she got involved in was in Australia.

That was disgraceful. Shouldn’t have that power

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19022 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:01:52 pm »

What the f*** has it got to do with Jeremy Corbyn?

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #19023 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:02:59 pm »

What the f*** has it got to do with Jeremy Corbyn?

:lol:

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #19024 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:08:41 pm »

I see you have failed note that we have ceased being a proper country, he'll do what he wants. This stuff is nectar to the Brexit voters they're trying to win.