Author Topic: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0  (Read 491492 times)

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
Re: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0
« Reply #19025 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:51:02 pm »
At last some logic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49655719

This is good news and eminently sensible, but it is a bit depressing to think back on all the furore over immigration which led up to the Brexit vote, to think on the 'hostile environment' and the illicit deportation of thousands of students not to mention Windrush and so on, and to see the government now belatedly taking steps once the political landscape has been coloured. It's right to make the visa system easier for top-tier academics, and right to allow foreign students, who contribute so much financially, to build their careers in the place that they've studied, but these steps should have already been in place and now in the short term at least they won't make up for the loss of students and faculty and collaborative opportunities at the hands of Brexit.

In general Britain needs immigration, and migrants from the EU tend to be well educated, adaptable, and of working age, beyond their cultural value adding a net contribution to the economy. I worry that with freedom of movement out of the way the immigration system will become two-tiered, with easy access for the rich and experienced and very highly educated, with a sort of chattel class whose movement is necessary but heavily regulated. Of course countries will also leverage immigration for the trade deals we'll be desperate to implement.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19026 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:56:45 pm »
I wonder if when May said she intended to create an hostile environment, she intended to keep it contained within the home office.

Offline JH

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #19027 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
Scottish parliament have ruled that the suspension of Westminster is 'unlawful' :lol:

Apparently this means parliament technically isn't suspended any more.

It’s an incredible ruling. Some of the highest judges in the UK are basically saying that Johnson lied to, and misled, the Queen.

If the Supreme Court allow this to stand (which they won’t), it makes all the precious constitutional crises look like child’s play.

Surely the Queen has a personal responsibility to not get scammed? If the decision is illegal, she is an accessory.

There is no mechanism in our country to remove him from power if the Supreme Court uphold this ruling.

The only way out would be resignation, VoNC or if enough Tories found their balls and actually stood up to him pissing all over our constitution. 

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19028 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 01:01:15 pm »
We don't have a constitution to p*ss on.

He's pissing in the wind.

Online The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #19029 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 01:52:00 pm »
Am I right in thinking they've overturned it on  separation of powers argument, that he's trying to prevent parliamentary scrutiny of the executive?

Really could go either way in the Supreme Court, but if I was betting I'd say given how reluctant judges are to interfere in political affairs, they'll probably overturn it.
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #19030 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 01:53:42 pm »
At last some logic:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49655719

This is good news and eminently sensible, but it is a bit depressing to think back on all the furore over immigration which led up to the Brexit vote, to think on the 'hostile environment' and the illicit deportation of thousands of students not to mention Windrush and so on, and to see the government now belatedly taking steps once the political landscape has been coloured. It's right to make the visa system easier for top-tier academics, and right to allow foreign students, who contribute so much financially, to build their careers in the place that they've studied, but these steps should have already been in place and now in the short term at least they won't make up for the loss of students and faculty and collaborative opportunities at the hands of Brexit.

In general Britain needs immigration, and migrants from the EU tend to be well educated, adaptable, and of working age, beyond their cultural value adding a net contribution to the economy. I worry that with freedom of movement out of the way the immigration system will become two-tiered, with easy access for the rich and experienced and very highly educated, with a sort of chattel class whose movement is necessary but heavily regulated. Of course countries will also leverage immigration for the trade deals we'll be desperate to implement.

I'm most amused by the Tory ministers coming out with "Good on us for dumping this retarded policy... that we instigated five minutes ago..."
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #19031 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 02:13:54 pm »

Strong words but I don't believe it at all.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #19032 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 02:17:59 pm »
Imagine it depends which Tories you ask.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #19033 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 04:24:08 pm »
If push comes to shove and they need a Brexit coalition/support, they will take it. I don't trust a word they say.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #19034 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 05:06:33 pm »
Have these judges been labelled enemies of the people yet?

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19035 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 06:31:13 pm »
Have these judges been labelled enemies of the people yet?

They have now.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #19036 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 08:35:24 pm »
?s=20

So obvious man, absolutely shameless  :lol:

PEOPLE ARE SAYING, ABSOLUTELY NOT ME THOUGH 100%

« Reply #19037 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:12:01 pm »
Grace Blakeley is glorious.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19038 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:13:04 pm »

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19039 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 09:05:32 am »
If push comes to shove and they need a Brexit coalition/support, they will take it. I don't trust a word they say.

Except for the words they use to state they will leave te EU.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #19040 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:01:45 pm »

Johnson is a bigger c*** than the two of them...
Also a quote from the editor of the S*n with his double-barrelled private education...

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
« Reply #19041 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 02:31:58 pm »
I don't think Johnson is a bigger c*** or even as underhand as Farage or Banks, although obviously he's under closer scrutiny. Everybody can be embarrassed but sometimes you see Johnson wince or visibly uncomfortable with the things he's said or the steps he has taken. Unlike Trump, Farage, etc., I think he knows to some degree that he's being an arsehole.

Anyway it's very difficult for him to forge a pact or coalition with the Brexit Party given the outcry that would follow from 'one-nation' Conservatives and the fact that his leadership campaign was predicated on him being strong and charismatic enough to quash Farage's appeal. It would surely lead to a few more defections, and there must be some middle Englanders who it would turn off, even if that group has grossly diminished in number. Perhaps a backdoor deal with Farage is more likely. But I suppose if an election were to take place before Brexit, we could see any number of explicitly temporary pacts or coalitions.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #19042 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 05:41:09 pm »

Johnson is a bigger c*** than the two of them...
Also a quote from the editor of the S*n with his double-barrelled private education...

Farage is perfectly acceptable dinner company for Borris.
Bearings Straight!

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #19043 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 11:36:53 pm »
Lib Dems take Middleton.  Bad night for labour.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #19044 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 07:41:50 am »

If it's not the Tories, I think that's  good day for humanity.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19045 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 11:00:36 am »

If it's not the Tories, I think that's  good day for humanity.

Very little online news about this. Who was the candidate?

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #19046 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 11:08:39 am »
'twas only local elections.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19047 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 11:26:17 am »
'twas only local elections.

Aye, I found it. Tories and LDs had over 300 votes each, Labour 59. Dunno the previous results, but it can't have been a massive swing.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #19048 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 11:45:17 am »
Britain Elects on Twitter has all the results on with the swings, there were a few more.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19049 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 11:52:33 am »
Britain Elects on Twitter has all the results on with the swings, there were a few more.

South Northamptonshire Council have the results on their website. No need for Twitter. I'm sure if it was any kind of disaster for Labour, they would have dragged Andrew Neill out of Josephine's.