Author Topic: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0  (Read 491493 times)

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
Re: UK Politics: The Tory Years 2.0
« Reply #18975 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:50:12 pm »
Quite liking the sound of Swinson tbh. Everyone sounds better than Boris. :lol:

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #18976 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:50:43 pm »
Loving how utterly f***ing miserable Boris looks.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #18977 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:53:19 pm »
Loving how utterly f***ing miserable Boris looks.

Miserable? He seems to just sit and smirk whenever somebody has a go, doesn't give a f***.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #18978 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:56:04 pm »
I don’t agree with that like, at times he looks sick.

George Howarth, first elected in 1986 FFS, about to go to town on Boris.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #18979 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 11:59:31 pm »
Our boy Kev Hollinrake on the tube. Hadn't realised he was a Remainer.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #18980 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 12:33:19 am »
293 to 46, nee election.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #18981 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 12:48:01 am »
My head hurts now.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #18982 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 01:22:10 am »
Not that anyone else is still awake, but it’s kicking off at prorogation.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #18983 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 07:34:24 am »
Nice to see Ian Austin found some time to focus on the real problems of the UK and its politics last night. :rolleyes:

Along with John Mann, you get the distinct impression they really would rather these Tories were left in power than dare to contemplate letting the left have a bit of a shot.  Absolute scum, the lot of them. 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #18984 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 07:36:08 am »
May making the honours system a complete joke again I see.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #18985 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 08:07:29 am »
May making the honours system a complete joke again I see.

It is a joke.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #18986 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 05:47:24 pm »
Didn't realise she'd given Nick Timmothy a CBE  :lol:

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #18987 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10:04:18 pm »
Gav Barwell loving the boycoutters.

Proud to be pure blue tonight.

« Reply #18988 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10:21:15 pm »
Did they use his chin to construct his head?
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #18989 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10:22:08 pm »

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #18990 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #18991 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 12:59:45 am »

He mentions Laura Pidcock's  upcoming speech, and I was looking forward to it, but can't find it anywhere, not even on Channel 4 news. I did find this (the opening question is quite telling);

« Last Edit: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 01:38:12 am by sadnesstan »

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #18992 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:21:53 am »
As a bystander, I found it a bit strange, verging on bizarre, that they foreshadowed a pretty radical program. It struck me as discordant in a fractious climate. Surely they would have been better off saying Step 1 fix Brexit (by whatever clearly defined option) and Step 2 we spend three years rolling back austerity measures.

I love radical, me, but it seems a fairly daft election strategy. Isn't he ceding a lot of the electorate to the LimDems/Tories/others?
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #18993 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:48:07 am »
Possibly losing ground to centrist voters, aye, but think they're hoping we'll make up the numbers from the disenchanted non-voters.  Whatever the merits of that, it did play a part in the last election, but whether it's enough to tip the balance in our favour is anyone's guess. 

Labour need to talk beyond Brexit because they're never going to please either camp on Brexit at all.  It worked in 2017, pretty hopeful it'll work again. 

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #18994 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:55:48 am »
As a bystander, I found it a bit strange, verging on bizarre, that they foreshadowed a pretty radical program. It struck me as discordant in a fractious climate. Surely they would have been better off saying Step 1 fix Brexit (by whatever clearly defined option) and Step 2 we spend three years rolling back austerity measures.

I love radical, me, but it seems a fairly daft election strategy. Isn't he ceding a lot of the electorate to the LimDems/Tories/others?

Aye but if they took that approach they'd never get past the questions pertaining to Step 1.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #18995 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:58:11 am »
Have they officially made a new referendum their electoral policy? Like, they have to go to an election with a clear Brexit plan.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #18996 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:02:30 am »
I think a second referendum is policy, but I'm not terribly sure.  They're saying if in power, they'll negotiate a deal based on their own red lines, then put it up against remain in a ref.  Dare say there'd be pressure applied to include no deal exit too, but don't think that has any real grounds.

Despite people claiming Labour will support remain in that referendum, more likely it'll be like last time with the party being officially for one or the other option and many MPs going the other way.  I don't think Corbyn wants to confirm this part yet though.  Like, genuinely believe he'd be happy to leave on a Labour deal, if it was along the lines of Norway or something, but admitting that right now would make him a dreaded brexiteer.  This is guesswork on my part. :aww:

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #18997 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:16:50 am »
Have they officially made a new referendum their electoral policy? Like, they have to go to an election with a clear Brexit plan.

Negotiate a new deal, and put it to the people. I'm pretty sure that is made perfectly clear every time another pundit pretends they don't understand.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
« Reply #18998 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:23:56 am »
Forgive my ignorance - I get my UK politics feed from here and The Guardian :lol:

I guess the next question would be "What sort of deal is he going to ask for?" but he's not going to say that now, and might not spell it out before an election.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #18999 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 10:24:14 am »
Scotland just got a lot less popular.