Author Topic: European Elections and the Rise of the (far) Right  (Read 12478 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
European Elections and the Rise of the (far) Right
« on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:11:51 PM »
Going to be a few elections over the next few years, some worrying trends.  France, Holland, already Denmark, Hungary... Austria?  Might as well catch it all here and keep the Brexit s*** for the Brex-s***s thread.  STRICTLY NO BREXIT TALK.  BORED STIFF OF IT MATES.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/marine-le-pen-national-front-france-far-right-lebanon-not-found-a7595131.html

Love a Fisk takedown. 
« Last Edit: Friday 24 February 2017, 01:30:11 PM by BlufPurdi »
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
Re: European Elections and the Rise of the Right
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
Good luck with that.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Good luck with that.

I got the power. :knuppel2:

I suspect this thread will die a bit until election days in France, but there we go.  Toondave might humour me. :thup:
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:25:25 PM »
Countdown to Frexit.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • GET THE F*CK OFF THE STAGE!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
:lol: Bluf loves an election.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:27:44 PM »
Not forgetting the mess that's in Italy at the moment either.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:31:08 PM »

Politics consumes me.  Probably why I've made nothing of my life. :lol: 

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:33:07 PM »

go and be a politician?

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • hog health status: exemplary
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:41:28 PM »

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:43:37 PM »

go and be a politician?

:lol: He already said he'd made nothing of his life.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 01:45:50 PM »
:lol:

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
But what about brexit and all that eh

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
  • Up the rail!
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
Been talking to my missus about this for ages. We watch Euronews and the trend is clear . Trump re-enforces this rise of nationalism and growth of the right. Its gonna lead to war.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 February 2017, 06:58:03 PM »
On the other hand, we've had a right wing government for the past four years here in Norway and nothing is more certain than the fact they're about to be kicked the f*** out in November. Approval has never been as low and they're tanking in all the polls (then again polls seem to mean nothing anymore :anguish:).

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 07:37:38 AM »
The French election is huge - if Le Pen wins there it's a disaster for the EU and continuation of the global slide to the right.

It seems the opposing parties are prepared to do pretty much whatever it takes to stop her in terms of forming alliances, but it only takes 1 terrorist incident between now and the election to flip the whole thing on it's head. With rumours of Russian involvement again don't rule out some massive breaking scandal about Macron (fake or otherwise) some time in the next couple of months.

I actually know a couple of people whose world view has become so distorted by the whole Brexit/anti-EU furore that they're genuinely rooting for a Le Pen win. Really worrying times.

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 08:42:46 AM »
On the other hand, we've had a right wing government for the past four years here in Norway and nothing is more certain than the fact they're about to be kicked the f*** out in November. Approval has never been as low and they're tanking in all the polls (then again polls seem to mean nothing anymore :anguish:).

Same here, "Perussuomalaiset" got into government after last elections with over 20% of the votes, now they are at below 10% (polls :lol:)and close to becoming irrelevant again.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
Been talking to my missus about this for ages. We watch Euronews and the trend is clear . Trump re-enforces this rise of nationalism and growth of the right. Its gonna lead to war.

:sadnod:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 09:10:37 AM »

War between who?

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:15:14 AM »

War between who?

Does it matter? A rise of nationalism has manifested itself in increased hatred of muslims; moderate and those in the extremes who follow it. The world hangs in the balance at the minute of which despots to fund to contain the worst element, how to deal with the legacies of intervention in the middle east and Russia flexing their geo-political muscles. There has already been developments with this in the Ukraine which in Jan 2016 (its government anyway) also happened to cosy up to membership of DCFTA. War is inevitable; international and/or civil. The degree to which it extrapolates is the thing you can debate.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:35:38 AM »

War between who?

Does it matter? A rise of nationalism has manifested itself in increased hatred of muslims; moderate and those in the extremes who follow it. The world hangs in the balance at the minute of which despots to fund to contain the worst element, how to deal with the legacies of intervention in the middle east and Russia flexing their geo-political muscles. There has already been developments with this in the Ukraine which in Jan 2016 (its government anyway) also happened to cosy up to membership of DCFTA. War is inevitable; international and/or civil. The degree to which it extrapolates is the thing you can debate.

It matters quite a bit who actually goes to war with each other.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:40:05 AM »

War between who?

how could you expect anyone to predict that at this stage though, it's the 'rise of the right' in the sense that it's ongoing...if you get right-wing leaders/policies in a few governments across europe it'll lead to war (no i can not guarantee this)

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Toondave

• General Member
  • There's a little bit of Toondave in all of us
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:43:16 AM »
For all the talk of Russia fuelling this march to war, what do they benefit? I'm not convinced they have any territorial aims beyond retaining access to the Mediterranean. Theres someone else who would benefit greatly from a war between Europe and Russia though, make a bit of money before their coming war with China.

(parky pls come back)

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:43:38 AM »

War between who?

how could you expect anyone to predict that at this stage though, it's the 'rise of the right' in the sense that it's ongoing...if you get right-wing leaders/policies in a few governments across europe it'll lead to war (no i can not guarantee this)

So you are predicting war but have no idea who the combatant nations would be???

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:44:14 AM »

War between who?

There are already proxy wars between the US/'coalition' and Russia in the middle East. There are huge racial tensions in France on a civil level and we're at war with an extreme but wholly prevalent ideology in radical Islam. The rise of extreme right wing in terms of realpolitik will only increase these tensions that lead to proxy/civil or open war. We're in the age of proxy/ideological/digitial/covert warfare that's a lot harder to pinpoint than say the days of the triple entente and Austro-Germany.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 February 2017, 10:48:12 AM »

War between who?

So you are predicting war but have no idea who the combatant nations would be???

it would depend on who is elected where and what type of protectionism/nationalist policies they implement obviously, why is that hard?

it's what i believe the 'rise of the right' will lead to but i can neither predict things exactly any better than you can provide evidence it won't happen

Sleep now in the fire