Author Topic: Sex, Gender and Identity  (Read 38888 times)

Offline Mike

• General Member
Re: Sex, Gender and Identity
« Reply #1450 on: Sunday 2 December 2018, 09:38:50 pm »
:lol:

e: f*** off.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1451 on: Sunday 2 December 2018, 09:44:32 pm »
:lol: Faulkner and Ulysses are like the middle planets in those scale gifs you see that seem gigantic until it pans out and HTT reduces them to atoms.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #1452 on: Sunday 2 December 2018, 11:18:16 pm »
:spit: Magnificent!
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #1453 on: Sunday 2 December 2018, 11:38:03 pm »
And that’s 7 different volumes of Proust.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1454 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 01:50:18 am »

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #1455 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 08:47:38 am »

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #1456 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 01:46:42 pm »

Very good.
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1457 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
Easy way to answer the question, would anybody want to defend themselves against a rape charge with that as evidence?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #1458 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:31:00 pm »
Regarding the song in general, there are clearly bigger fish to fry and it's mental in my opinion.  That said, it was a sole radio station's choice, and not some nationwide ban, so storm in a teacup really.  Can't be arsed thinking about it anymore. 
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1459 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:39:41 pm »
Regarding the song in general, there are clearly bigger fish to fry and it's mental in my opinion.  That said, it was a sole radio station's choice, and not some nationwide ban, so storm in a teacup really.  Can't be arsed thinking about it anymore.

Let's be honest. Everybody on here has now heard the song more times than they would have if it hadn't been pulled. If the debate prevents one young, misguided fella from putting himself in a position where he could be convicted of rape, it has all been worth it.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #1460 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:43:45 pm »
:lol: Is that satire?
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • some kind of genetically engineered super jerk
« Reply #1461 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:47:20 pm »
it should be banned because it's a garbage song tbh

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #1462 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:48:34 pm »
Indeed. 

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1463 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 02:57:55 pm »
:lol: Is that satire?

No. Take away the obvious roofie rape reference.  Then imagine you behave like that on a date, and the next morning the police arrest you for (I should have said) attempted rape. You see nothing wrong in your behaviour and you give your evidence which correlates with the lyrics of the song.

You going down.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #1464 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 03:33:40 pm »
I'm just laughing at the idea of someone being inspired specifically by that song to date rape and its banning stopping that happening. Obviously not because the subject matter's funny, but because the circumstances are absurd.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1465 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 03:37:47 pm »
I'm just laughing at the idea of someone being inspired specifically by that song to date rape and its banning stopping that happening. Obviously not because the subject matter's funny, but because the circumstances are absurd.

Then you've misunderstood. I'm saying quite the opposite, that maybe one person has heard the song, and realised that his plan for the evening might not be as foolproof as he first thought.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #1466 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 03:44:42 pm »
'If the debate prevents one young, misguided fella from putting himself in a position where he could be convicted of rape, it has all been worth it.' seems pretty straightforward to me.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1467 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 03:45:10 pm »
i'd never heard that song before today, thank f***
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1468 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 03:51:39 pm »
'If the debate prevents one young, misguided fella from putting himself in a position where he could be convicted of rape, it has all been worth it.' seems pretty straightforward to me.

"If a guy goes out and rapes" would be straightforward.

Also, I thought I was quite clear that I was speaking of the debate, surrounding the song.
And what does prevent mean?

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #1469 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 04:10:23 pm »
Either way it's funny. I don't have the energy to carry on. :lol:
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1470 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 04:15:48 pm »
I haven't watched that video above but the original song is really sleazy :lol:

You could find a load of things from the last few decades that are unacceptable today TBF.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1471 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 04:21:40 pm »
I haven't watched that video above but the original song is really sleazy :lol:

You could find a load of things from the last few decades that are unacceptable today TBF.

I find it fascinating that it was never considered as sleazy in the first place. The attitudes back then must have been f***ing weird. We could be 60-70 years ahead of where we are now, if somebody had just said "Hang on?" all those years ago. They probably did, but were ridiculed.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1472 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 04:28:33 pm »
Everything was from the perspective of men's needs I guess, and women were much more to be used. Films and TV from that era are full of that stuff too.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #1473 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 08:19:08 pm »
Everything was from the perspective of men's needs I guess, and women were much more to be used. Films and TV from that era are full of that stuff too.

Really? I never knew this, you've opened my eyes. What have I been missing all these years?

Where do you recommend I start? So many to choose from. 'Some Like it Hot' sounds risqué.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1474 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 11:39:45 pm »
Man you are weird sometimes.