Author Topic: Adam Curtis - New Stuff  (Read 4511 times)

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: HyperNormalisation - New film by Adam Curtis
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 25 October 2016, 03:48:47 PM »
He claims, rightly, that they provided logistical support to him and the mujahideen during the Russian intervention of Afghanistan.  And claims, rightly, that al-Qaeda, was an overblown narrative for the reasons in the previous post.  In fairness, he's actually literally right to say we created 'al-qaeda' as bin Laden only ever started to use the term after 9/11 after realising that's what we've decided to call them.  What, nearly 2 decades after his group formed?

I'm not saying he's not right in the things he says, I wonder why HE says them, through the BBC, whilst the BBC itself seems reluctant to say them, that's all.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 25 October 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
The question is, when it comes to conspiracies do you trust an expert on conspiracies?

Offline Lotus

• General Member
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 25 October 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
He claims, rightly, that they provided logistical support to him and the mujahideen during the Russian intervention of Afghanistan.  And claims, rightly, that al-Qaeda, was an overblown narrative for the reasons in the previous post.  In fairness, he's actually literally right to say we created 'al-qaeda' as bin Laden only ever started to use the term after 9/11 after realising that's what we've decided to call them.  What, nearly 2 decades after his group formed? 

Dude, would love to hang out with you. Could talk all night!

Have to meet up one day at one of these NO events. Give each other ear ache :lol:
The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a limit to infinite error.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 25 October 2016, 07:53:05 PM »
Because I can recite Adam Curtis documentaries word for word? :lol: 

But aye, I'd love any chance to get away from home at the moment! You're as good an excuse as any.  :whistle: O0
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 December 2018, 12:53:17 AM »
I've been re watching Pandora's box and it's fascinating how the same old tactics of evoking old fictional narratives have come to play in the Brexit debate we see today. Exactly the same tactics are being used all these years later.

Hopefully his next documentary is on Brexit.
United we stand, divided we fall.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
Re: Adam Curtis - New Stuff
« Reply #55 on: Friday 12 February 2021, 10:46:15 AM »
Some new s*** out. :frantic:
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #56 on: Friday 12 February 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2016-10-19/adam-curtis-another-manager-of-perceptions/

Brilliant blog. In so many ways it smashes it out of the park. The notion of Curtis as modern day prophet is as dangerously deluded as it is ill informed.

Not to be too deep, but in Bitter Lake, I'm sure a lot of people were appraised to the fact that the industrial turmoil of the 70s was caused not so much by Unions, as the tripling of oil prices overnight by the House of Saud.
The right have been using the narrative against unions for 50 years, based on a fallacy.
So, in that respect - as a journalist - he is fulfilling his role.

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday 12 February 2021, 02:17:32 PM »
Great timing, just the tonic for my fatalistic pessimism. :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Friday 12 February 2021, 05:09:17 PM »
http://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2016-10-19/adam-curtis-another-manager-of-perceptions/

Brilliant blog. In so many ways it smashes it out of the park. The notion of Curtis as modern day prophet is as dangerously deluded as it is ill informed.

Not to be too deep, but in Bitter Lake, I'm sure a lot of people were appraised to the fact that the industrial turmoil of the 70s was caused not so much by Unions, as the tripling of oil prices overnight by the House of Saud.
The right have been using the narrative against unions for 50 years, based on a fallacy.

Would have been helpful if he'd reported it 50 years ago, like.

Offline Lotus

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 13 February 2021, 12:23:32 AM »
The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom, but to set a limit to infinite error.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 13 February 2021, 12:07:35 PM »

Would have been helpful if he'd reported it 50 years ago, like.

I presume it was initially reported, but then the UK press saw an opportunity to switch the blame onto unions, and of course, the rest is history...

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 13 February 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
Of course it was, stan just trying to be smart.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 07:14:54 AM »

I was actually trying to draw attention to blatant hypocrisy, without calling him a hypocrite, as I've no other reason to think he is one.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #64 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 10:22:38 AM »

I was actually trying to draw attention to blatant hypocrisy, without calling him a hypocrite, as I've no other reason to think he is one.

Eh?

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 11:41:23 AM »
So. What did everyone think of this?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 11:43:54 AM »
Hard to really get stuck into the now, with it being part 1 of 6. It's more along the lines of Power of Nightmares than Bitter Lake/Hypernormalisation.

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 12:27:19 PM »
Hard to really get stuck into the now, with it being part 1 of 6. It's more along the lines of Power of Nightmares than Bitter Lake/Hypernormalisation.

All the parts are on YouTube. Haven’t they all been released on the BBC?

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
:o :o :o :o :O

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 12:47:19 PM »
See you tomorrow: :bluf:

Offline r0cafella

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 01:12:10 PM »
Haha enjoy my friend :thup:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 01:57:31 PM »
Yeah they're all on iPlayer. I confess I have never watched anything by Adam Curtis despite good intentions for years.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 03:12:10 PM »
Some of the stuff is really good, Wullie. Would start with Power of Nightmares, as relevant today, what with the rise of ISIS, as it was twenty years ago.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #73 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
I've been meaning to check out more of his stuff. I have to admit, I've been put off by the prophetisation of him I see around, it feels a bit unnecessarily heady. He seems more like a (clearly highly intelligent) BBC journalist making stylish films to me. Loves using Burial though, so I've got time for him  :)

I've watched HyperNormalisation, any other must sees? Bitter Lake seems to get a lot of mention?

I've tried watching interviews with him but he's tough to listen to as he reminds me of my old school head teacher. Never a good referential link. A little uptight and holier-than-thou.
Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: Monday 15 February 2021, 03:29:16 PM »
All the old ones basically. The new ones are good, but they're also not quite the format that made his name.