Author Topic: Narcos [Beware Spoilers]  (Read 8659 times)

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: Narcos [Beware Spoilers]
« Reply #175 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 08:06:17 am »
Trying to avoid spoilers but has the guy who plays Chepe been in anything else I'd have seen? Seems very familiar.

I thought he was pretty Titus Pullo-ish (from HBO Rome fame), but definitely not the same dude. 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Flip

• General Member
  • Brazil v Belgium: No penalty for my son
« Reply #176 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 08:19:58 am »
:lol: Arturo Castro is a f***ing actor, man. Took me ages to realize he's the dude from Broad City.

f***ing hated his guts throughout the season.
2016/17 N-O Pick Em Champ & N-O NBA Fantasy Champ

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #177 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 08:25:49 am »
[emoji38] Arturo Castro is a f***ing actor, man. Took me ages to realize he's the dude from Broad City.

Plays the part perfectly.

What happened to Broad City btw
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Ryan

• General Member
  • Rafa #1
« Reply #178 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
:lol: Arturo Castro is a f***ing actor, man. Took me ages to realize he's the dude from Broad City.

Aye, what a cock.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
« Reply #179 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 05:19:29 pm »
[emoji38] Arturo Castro is a f***ing actor, man. Took me ages to realize he's the dude from Broad City.

Season 3 soon, I think. :thup:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #180 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 05:28:04 pm »

Season 3 soon, I think. :thup:
Class

EDIT: just checked and it's next week

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
« Reply #181 on: Friday 8 September 2017, 06:35:11 pm »
EDIT: just checked and it's next week

:lol: No s***? GTFI.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #182 on: Sunday 10 September 2017, 10:42:51 am »
S3 felt like a denouement. I hope they're aiming to invest a lot of time and effort into exploring the Mexican cartels in coming seasons.
Yeah I enjoyed the season overall and it made sense to make it given the characters involvement in the Pablo stuff but I'm firmly looking forward to the Mexico s***, that's surely going to be mental.

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Toondave

• General Member
  • There's a little bit of Toondave in all of us
« Reply #183 on: Sunday 10 September 2017, 12:53:07 pm »
Pallomari was great at the end  :lol:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #184 on: Sunday 10 September 2017, 01:27:03 pm »
True [emoji38]

Sleep now in the fire

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday 12 September 2017, 07:31:42 am »

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #186 on: Friday 15 September 2017, 01:57:27 pm »
Pallomari was great at the end  :lol:

"If it's just a technicality."

Laughed my tits off.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #187 on: Saturday 16 September 2017, 11:38:06 pm »
A location scout for the show was found shot dead in Mexico.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: Sunday 17 September 2017, 11:12:29 am »
Bloody hell.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #189 on: Sunday 17 September 2017, 11:37:11 am »
Good news for the producers. You can't buy that kind of marketing.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #190 on: Sunday 17 September 2017, 03:06:24 pm »

Offline Eddy Chibas

• General Member
  • Rent-A-Schmuck
« Reply #191 on: Monday 18 September 2017, 06:51:41 pm »
S3 felt like a denouement. I hope they're aiming to invest a lot of time and effort into exploring the Mexican cartels in coming seasons.
Yeah I enjoyed the season overall and it made sense to make it given the characters involvement in the Pablo stuff but I'm firmly looking forward to the Mexico s***, that's surely going to be mental.

They'll have to hold back when diving into Los Zetas' involvement & antics.

Will be interesting to see how they depict the death of the DEA bloke who was captured, tortured for a couple of days and ultimately killed (if the story is the told). I imagine this would be covered because it was a pivotal moment in the US governments war against the cartels.
"That's where we step in," Alexander says. "We make sure there's order, that people aren't taking off on top of each other. On a wave like Pipe, doing something stupid isn't just not having surfing etiquette. It's attempted murder. Getting dropped in on at Pipe is like someone pointing a gun at your head. And you know, if you point a gun at one of us, well, there are gonna be consequences."

What would happen if someone dropped in on Alexander?

"I wouldn't say much," he says. "Maybe I'd paddle up to you, tell you to go in, or take off your leash. But later I'd find you, or a few of the other guys would, and you'd be taught a lesson."

Well-played Kala, well-played!

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: Monday 18 September 2017, 06:53:14 pm »

Will be interesting to see how they depict the death of the DEA bloke who was captured, tortured for a couple of days and ultimately killed (if the story is the told). I imagine this would be covered because it was a pivotal moment in the US governments war against the cartels.

Kiki?  Was he not mentioned in season one? 

Offline Eddy Chibas

• General Member
  • Rent-A-Schmuck
« Reply #193 on: Monday 18 September 2017, 07:18:20 pm »

Yeah, that's the guy. Interested to see if the show jumps back into that particular timeline. I'll have to rewatch parts of S:1 and catch the reference.

Haven't started watching season 2. Partly due to a lack of time, and I read the book "Killing Pablo" years ago, and that offered quite a comprehensive rundown of the hunt for, Cali's involvement, and ultimately his death.

Unrelated to Narcos, and fictional of course, but a prequel to Sicario is in the works. It might cover Benicio del Toro's character's origins, which the CIA spook touched on. Looking forward to it. 
"That's where we step in," Alexander says. "We make sure there's order, that people aren't taking off on top of each other. On a wave like Pipe, doing something stupid isn't just not having surfing etiquette. It's attempted murder. Getting dropped in on at Pipe is like someone pointing a gun at your head. And you know, if you point a gun at one of us, well, there are gonna be consequences."

"I wouldn't say much," he says. "Maybe I'd paddle up to you, tell you to go in, or take off your leash. But later I'd find you, or a few of the other guys would, and you'd be taught a lesson."

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: Monday 18 September 2017, 07:23:22 pm »

Yeah, that's the guy. Interested to see if the show jumps back into that particular timeline. I'll have to rewatch parts of S:1 and catch the reference.

Haven't started watching season 2. Partly due to a lack of time, and I read the book "Killing Pablo" years ago, and that offered quite a comprehensive rundown of the hunt for, Cali's involvement, and ultimately his death.

Unrelated to Narcos, and fictional of course, but a prequel to Sicario is in the works. It might cover Benicio del Toro's character's origins, which the CIA spook touched on. Looking forward to it. 
Sicario was great. 

Regarding Kiki, it was just a mention after Murphy's cat gets strung up.  Pena says to him, he's safe 'since Kiki' then it runs through a cutscene of all that happened to him and the response from the US.  It was certainly mentioned in a way that suggests it was an event that had happened by then, which would have put it around the mid 80s.  I'd have thought that might not be picked up on at all in season 3?  :dontknow:
« Last Edit: Monday 18 September 2017, 07:36:00 pm by BlufPurdi »

Offline Eddy Chibas

• General Member
  • Rent-A-Schmuck
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 19 September 2017, 08:00:57 pm »

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #196 on: Thursday 28 September 2017, 11:58:05 am »
Finished watching S3 last night after reading reviews. Wasn't going to bother initially, so glad I did though. Really, really good; probably the best of the 3 for me even if the characters maybe weren't as strong as the Medellin lot.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: Thursday 28 September 2017, 12:08:18 pm »
I can't pick a favourite, but I'd say the third was the worst of the lot.  And that isn't meant as a dig at all.  It felt rushed, almost like a one-season spin off from Pablo et all.  Was still great and enjoyable, but lacked depth and far too frenetic, that could be said of the whole thing mind.  They wasted the Pablo years.

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #198 on: Thursday 28 September 2017, 12:55:16 pm »
I can't pick a favourite, but I'd say the third was the worst of the lot.  And that isn't meant as a dig at all.  It felt rushed, almost like a one-season spin off from Pablo et all.  Was still great and enjoyable, but lacked depth and far too frenetic, that could be said of the whole thing mind.  They wasted the Pablo years.

I've really enjoyed all three seasons but I'd agree that they wasted the Pablo opportunity. I guess they never imagined it would be the success it was.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #199 on: Thursday 28 September 2017, 02:21:18 pm »
I dunno how they could've "wasted" the Pablo story, they devoted two full seasons to it. If anything, the Cali story, about a cartel that dwarfed Pablo's, felt rushed in comparison.