Author Topic: The Star Trek Thread  (Read 11213 times)

Online Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: The Star Trek Thread
« Reply #50 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:18:44 PM »
It was brave though, bags of respect for introducing the characters rather the show.  In the age we live in the Trek story has tons of potential for self examination and providing hope.
Bearings Straight!

Offline mouldy_uk

• General Member
  • Forever NUFC
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
Pretty decent opening episodes, though sending the captain across to the Klingon ship was just pure dumb. Interested to see where they take it.

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #52 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 09:20:45 PM »
Pretty decent opening episodes, though sending the captain across to the Klingon ship was just pure dumb. Interested to see where they take it.

To be fair it's perfectly in keeping with 50 years of Star Trek tradition. of course your two most senior officers are the ones you send to the enemy ship on a desperation suicide mission.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 11:20:07 PM »
Seen the first episode. Enjoyed it, some bits are class. Modern CGI on Star Trek makes space and star ships look nuts. Getting to grip with new look Klingon's. Story and interactions seems positive so far.

The little token noises/visuals dug out of TOS sort of makes my skincrawl. Anything TOS is just massively old and irksome to my geeky side. Happy for new takes to move away from TOS concepts to allow this series to stand on its own feet, avoid cliche and just give it a go at being fresh.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 01:33:51 AM »
I liked it but god damn did the opening credits telegraph the captains fate with the special guest star thing.

Offline AfroP

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
watched the 2 episodes available.
really enjoyed it! I like the new look klingons, they actually look like Aliens rather than just African people with bumpy heeds
looking forward to see'ing more

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Imagine having to have those teeth prosthetics shoved into your mouth for hours on end. No wonder Klingons are f***ing p*ssed.

Offline mouldy_uk

• General Member
  • Forever NUFC
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 11:20:59 AM »
Seen the first episode. Enjoyed it, some bits are class. Modern CGI on Star Trek makes space and star ships look nuts. Getting to grip with new look Klingon's. Story and interactions seems positive so far.

The little token noises/visuals dug out of TOS sort of makes my skincrawl. Anything TOS is just massively old and irksome to my geeky side. Happy for new takes to move away from TOS concepts to allow this series to stand on its own feet, avoid cliche and just give it a go at being fresh.

Though I'm not a massive Star Trek fan, I also found some of these references distracting.

It may happen later in the series, but it would be good to introduce some new races rather than just having the tired old existing ones. I feel like there is potentially a really good show here, but it could be hampered too much by looking back at what's been done many times before. I guess time will tell.

Offline AfroP

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 12:06:10 PM »

Though I'm not a massive Star Trek fan, I also found some of these references distracting.

It may happen later in the series, but it would be good to introduce some new races rather than just having the tired old existing ones. I feel like there is potentially a really good show here, but it could be hampered too much by looking back at what's been done many times before. I guess time will tell.

I think the main premise of this show is the Klingon war with the federation which is a period that has yet to be covered in film and television.
which means we are likely to see a more aggressive federation than what we are used to 

Offline Elric

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 26 September 2017, 09:52:17 PM »
This was really well done, looking forward to episode 3 :thup:
Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 07:22:59 AM »
Horrible pilot that did little to introduce the characters properly, with the exception of the lanky alien dude and the initial bad Klingon dude. Telegraphed their plotline miles ahead. This is what happens when your showrunner leaves mid-pilot and the new showunner decides to change everything the previous one had planned, even though you’ve already shot half an episode.

CGI, set and costume designe were spot on though. Credit to those departments.
If you're bored when you're alone, you're in bad company.

Online Si

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 07:37:04 AM »
The whole point of the pilot was to properly establish Michael hence no Discovery etc till next week presumably. Thought it did a solid job of doing that and showing her faults and strengths.
Bearings Straight!

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 10:37:08 AM »
That was an excellent pilot imo, and pretty much disagree with everything Kaiz said.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 11:28:55 AM »
Kaiz is a TV Arsehole now. He works the industry and is too knowledgeable to like anything that isn't art house.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
My biggest problem is I got sick of the Klingons and their warrior culture s*** a long time ago, and this seems like it will be packed full of it. I'll still give it a go though.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 12:47:46 PM »
I actually really liked the way the did them in this, I found it really fascinating every-time it went back to them, it also didn't make them to be completely evil, they were a shade of grey, so you could understand what they we're thinking, and there motives, that just made them more compelling.

Offline mattypnufc

• Resident shirt designer extraordinaire
  • General Member
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 01:23:35 PM »
Pilot was a bit meh.  Has potential based on the second episode.  Still can't get my head around the main lass being called Michael.  Doesn't sit right.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 05:14:52 PM »
Horrible pilot that did little to introduce the characters properly, with the exception of the lanky alien dude and the initial bad Klingon dude. Telegraphed their plotline miles ahead. This is what happens when your showrunner leaves mid-pilot and the new showunner decides to change everything the previous one had planned, even though you’ve already shot half an episode.

CGI, set and costume designe were spot on though. Credit to those departments.

The main battle scene looked like it was cgi'd 20 years ago.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
That was an excellent pilot imo, and pretty much disagree with everything Kaiz said.

Absolutely horrible as a pilot. Doesn’t equate to it being horrible as a general episode. If that was a few more episodes in, it would’ve been more than alright.

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
I agree that it's a very odd choice as a pilot. More like an extended prologue.

Then again, I guess you can do this sort of thing in the modern era since everyone expects everything to be serialized anyway.

Online Si

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:04:18 PM »
That's why I liked it, because it avoided alot of the pilot clichés, it was refreshing. Can see why people think differently though. I'm really looking forward to see where it goes next.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Buttguy for prez
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
I agree that it's a very odd choice as a pilot. More like an extended prologue.

Then again, I guess you can do this sort of thing in the modern era since everyone expects everything to be serialized anyway.

The main issue was that there was no weight to anything, because we did not kow any of the characters - yet we’re thrown straight into a life or death scenario, which in turn ends up just being «look at the shiny TV Star Trek» as there’s no stakes for us - the viewers. Did we care if anyone lived or died at this point? No, we didn’t. In fact, the Klingon death gave me more emotions than the human because at least we’ve been told something about him. He’d risen against all odds and united an empire, yet he does not get to see the empire uited. His dream realized, but not for him to experience. Emotion and depth. There was a character there.

Now compare that to «I made a starfleet symbol in the sand, now I’m dead - LOL!»

If we knew and cared about any of the characters before the events of the episodes, they would’ve not been as «meh».

It works as a prologue, but it should have been five-ten minutes at most as it gave us nothing extra with the additional 70 minutes ahead of the status reset coming in the third episode. The info we needed about Michael and the Klingons could have, and should have, been condensed. All in it was nothing but a waste of time because it was basically just ten minutes plot information and seventy minutes filler, but at least it was shiny filler.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:47:19 PM »
The pilot was about describing the events that unfolded at the start of the Klingon war, and they did that really well, you don't have to know everything about all the characters straight away, thats what the series is for. That said they mainly focused on the main characters and the main villain thats going to be carrying the series, and they did that well, while also giving you tasters of the other crew members. I think they did what they set out to do, it intrigued me, gave me hope for show and for Star Trek in general.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
Don't bring your text books into this TV thread, dammit.

Online Si

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 27 September 2017, 08:58:22 PM »
The Starfleet symbol scene was great as it told you about the two characters straight away. Michael's first response to what if we're stuck here was to adapt and blend in with the natives, reinvent herself.  Which is exactly what she did after her parents death. The captain on the other hand never considered anything but Starfleet and her means of  escape was literally it's symbol.

In the mutiny scene this is paid off when Michael wants to give the Vulcan hello whereas the Captain won't betray the founding principle of Starfleet. It'll be interesting go as how much of the future episodes are built on the fact that Michael isn't conventionally Starfleet and if she becomes a true believer.

Bearings Straight!