Author Topic: The Star Trek Thread  (Read 12256 times)

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: The Star Trek Thread
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:29:17 PM »
DS9 is easily the best in terms of story, it really gets good after Sisko shaves his head. I'm currently struggling through Voyager, it's not on the same level as DS9 or TNG for me, the crew seem like amateurs compared to TNG, and Janeway seems to constantly make poor decisions, they should have thrown her out of an airlock.
The episode where he tricks the romulans into joining the war is pure bad ass.
Bearings Straight!

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:23:34 PM »
DS9 is easily the best in terms of story, it really gets good after Sisko shaves his head. I'm currently struggling through Voyager, it's not on the same level as DS9 or TNG for me, the crew seem like amateurs compared to TNG, and Janeway seems to constantly make poor decisions, they should have thrown her out of an airlock.
The episode where he tricks the romulans into joining the war is pure bad ass.

Yeah that episode was class. In fact Garak is a great character in DS9, in particular that episode. Such a sneaky clever f***.

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:25:49 PM »
Yeah Garak was superb. DS9 was such a great show. Might watch the Dominion stuff again now it's on Netflix.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Pata

• General Member
  • N-O FF Champ 2018
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 August 2016, 12:55:28 AM »
Watched both TNG and DS9 (both for the first time, just seen an episode here and there as a kid) from the US Netflix during the past year or two and enjoyed them both. DS9 the favourite as the overarching story is just a great thing compared to TNG which was 95% just stories that were started and concluded in one episode. IMO DS9 also had a better set of characters.

Was about to start Voyager too but Netflix started to block proxies and none of the series are available on our Netflix. :(

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Baltimore, Maryland, USA
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 August 2016, 02:00:37 AM »
I loved TNG, but that's largely because I was like 12 when it started and space was ace.

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 August 2016, 10:23:19 AM »
Regarding this new series next year, really didn't know it was happening until this thread highlighted it. Happening 10 years before the original series? meh that's already putting me off. It still could be good, but it will have to work hard to impress. Not a fan of the original series and I don't like it when they try to pay tributes to the original style. It's dated as f*** now so it looks stupid trying to compliment it.

There's so many ways a new series could be different and more interesting to Trek fans. A series revolving around the Klingons or Romulans specifically to see more about how they operate would be cool. We always get the Federation perspective and mantra rammed down our throats but the Trek universe has more to offer than just that. Section 31 would be great to base a series on, trying to save the day while keeping hidden in the shadows.

Oh well let's see how it goes I guess, but it's uninspiring based on what I've heard so far.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 12:35:50 AM »
I really wish they'd make a series on the Q, they were always some of the best episodes imo.

andyburn

« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 August 2016, 10:37:40 PM »
Are they finally going to do silence in space?  You know, like in science? Also, why are the ships always the right way up, I mean when two ships meet they never seem to be at 90 degrees to the Enterprise, Voyager etc?

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 September 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
Star Trek Discovery, the upcoming CBS All Access series, will now premiere in May, four months later than previously announced.

Speaking to The Wrap, executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Bryan Fuller said they met with CBS before entering production and decided the extra time was necessary in order to "achieve a vision we can all be proud of."

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 May 2017, 08:01:52 PM »

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 August 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
I've slowly been working my way through all the Star Treks on Netflix in prep for Discovery. Enterprise was way better than I ever give credit for. If they had cut out season 2/3 and had had more seasons like 4, they could have a real hit on their hands. I enjoyed it in the end, but I don't think I could recall too much about what happened in the end. Currently halfway through the TOS, which I've never actually watched in any real order before. It's always been a random episode here or there that I've caught on the TV.

TOS is odd, it skirts the line between trying to be as progressive as a 60s TV show can while being terribly sexist and dated in equal measures. The stories repeat fairly often too, or at least the themes do 'godly creatures' and 'fantasies' are the main hooks of Season 1. I did like the cameo from The Mysterons in the Arena episode.

Are they finally going to do silence in space?  You know, like in science? Also, why are the ships always the right way up, I mean when two ships meet they never seem to be at 90 degrees to the Enterprise, Voyager etc?

At a guess... TV aesthetics. Or perhaps aligned with the galactic plane, I know that's what I tend to align with whenever I'm flying my spacecrafts (if only out of habit of following symmetry).

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 September 2017, 10:27:20 AM »
Discovery gets released tomorrow, will be available on Netflix for those in the UK. It's seemingly getting decent reviews.

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
Looking forward to it. Gonna give it a go in an hour or two.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
First episode was very good, really pleasantly surprised. Just starting episode 2.
Bearings Straight!

Offline hakka

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 12:42:36 PM »
Will be watching this tonight, happy to give it a go. Sounds like it's Klingon wartime which means lots of good battles (I hope).

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 12:50:02 PM »
Really interesting first 2 episodes. Interested to hear others thoughts but it  could be a very interesting and modern  take on Trek.
Bearings Straight!

Offline chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #41 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
What era is it based ?
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #42 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
I was not displeased with this. First two hours were all about setup and introducing us to the main character so it's hard to judge for now,  but it was eminently watchable. They seem to have a good idea of how to maintain the "Star Trek" feel while still bringing production values up to modern standards.

Think it was a terrible decision to have the Klingons speak Klingon though. Makes the acting in those scenes a total drag and it other-izes them to the point that it undoes a lot of the gigantic tapestry of Klingon cultural development and familiarization we had from TNG-DS9.  I guess it's hard to have them be the "big bad" and be too familiar at the same time, but still. 

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #43 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:07:09 PM »
What era is it based ?

9 years before TOS.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
I thought it was class. Not sure about the bit where she had to convince the computer to let her out of the brig like.

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #45 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
I thought it was class. Not sure about the bit where she had to convince the computer to let her out of the brig like.

I think that was a perfect character moment. Vulcan training (out-logic a computer to convince it to release you) + human impulsiveness (shoot yourself into the vacuum of space to save the day).

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Still not convinced. Dumb computer moment, but perhaps I'm giving the AI too much credit in that situation. However, it was only a minor issues for me. In fact, it wasn't as bad as the silly opening where they walked around and made a freaking Starfleet Symbol in the sand. I mean it was nice visually, but just seemed really cheesy and dumb to open with.

I enjoyed pretty much everything else. The setup was neat, the designs were class, I got used to the new strange looking Klingons pretty quickly. I'm sure there's some sort of storytelling element to their appearance. I want to believe it's a hangover from Enterprise giving them all that disease, but I'm not sure.

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:13:52 PM »
It was very measured as a pilot too. Leaves you wanting more and wondering where they go from here. It has bags of potential and really interesting lead character.

Bearings Straight!

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #48 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
It was very measured as a pilot too. Leaves you wanting more and wondering where they go from here. It has bags of potential and really interesting lead character.

I do think it's kind of a problem that the two-hour pilot gives you basically zero information about what the show is going to be like on a day-to-day basis.  Especially when CBS is trying to use this to get people hooked onto their streaming service.

Offline oldtype

• Trailer Wanker
  • General Member
  • Rafa in public
« Reply #49 on: Monday 25 September 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
Still not convinced. Dumb computer moment, but perhaps I'm giving the AI too much credit in that situation. However, it was only a minor issues for me. In fact, it wasn't as bad as the silly opening where they walked around and made a freaking Starfleet Symbol in the sand. I mean it was nice visually, but just seemed really cheesy and dumb to open with.

I feel like JJ Abrams came by just to put that desert cold open in there :lol: It was cheesy but oh well.