Author Topic: The Star Trek Thread  (Read 14541 times)

Online 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
The Star Trek Thread
« on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 12:45:03 AM »
With there being a new TV series coming out in January, and the current film series going strong. I think now is the perfect time to start this thread. Besides if Star Wars gets a thread, this deserves one.

So what would people say is there favourite series of the lot?

Offline Tiotes Witch Doctor

• General Member
Re: The Star Trek Thread
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
Voyager is my all time favourite, so much character in the crew and the storylines were the best with them being on a nigh on impossible voyage home, got them all on DVD.

Next Generation is good also and Picard is by far the best captain, such a great actor and character, loads of filler episodes in TNG though.

Never bothered with deep space nine or the newest series that was on a few years back, loved all the old movies (Picard era onwards, insurrection etc...)

Couldn't get away with the original series though, was born in the late 80's though so you can excuse me that.

Overall I f***ing love star trek, think the new movies are decent but they don't have the same magic as the Janeway/Picard days.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 01:43:10 AM »
Deep Space Nine is easily my favourite, strong characters and an actual ongoing story for the most part.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 04:11:41 AM »
Deep Space Nine by a distance for me too, started out a bit rough but got better and better with each series.  Had some very dark episodes for Trek too.
Bearings Straight!

Online Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
NG.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
Now this thread will surely make N-O move away from its reputation as spotty virgin town.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
TNG by a country mile for me. Peak Borg and Q, basically.

Seven of Nine did Voyager no harm though. ;)

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
Deep Space Nine is easily my favourite, strong characters and an actual ongoing story for the most part.

:scared:

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:40:50 AM »
It's TNG and Voyager for me, whichever one I happen to be watching of the two becomes my favourite.

As said above though, TNG has a lot more filler episodes than Voyager.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:45:30 AM »
Historically, the Star Trek series seems to me to have been very inclusive and barrier-breaking - but I vaguely recall reading an article the other day which seemed like it was veering towards tokenism. I'm not saying including different types of people headlining these shows automatically just happens and should be entirely organic, but it seemed like they were trying to get an ethnic minority transgender disabled asexual captain and a cousin-loving, non-swimming, dog-bowl eating, Bills fan as No. 1 etc and leaning quite hard on it. :dontknow:

Online Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:52:45 AM »

DS9 is basically Eastenders in space.  :lol: :lol:

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 09:59:09 AM »
DS9
TNG
Enterprise
Voyager

That's the order for me.

DS9 was dark as f*** later on in the series. Ever since they introduced the Defiant so it wasn't bound to the station so much it was very good.
TNG is a classic, plenty of gash episodes usually involving Deanna Troi's mum but majority of the rest were decent and some very clever. Patrick Stewart's injection of Shakespearean style acting worked very well making him a strong lead character.
Enterprise from season 2 onwards was good. Think it was the attack from Xindi where it got really good. Season 4 was a bit hit and miss though. T'Pol is also hot as f***. Was quite difficult to accept Scott Bakula in this. Just felt I was always waiting for Al to walk in explain that Ziggy says he has an 87% chance of Quantum leaping if he does this or that. He's just Sam Beckett to me and nothing else. :lol:
Voyager I struggled with the most. There was some good episodes, probably the Borg ones, but it had a lot of dross for me. Seven of Nine obviously made it better. Ridiculous set of chesticles.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:05:11 AM »
Sam Beckett :lol: So true. :thup: Wondering each time, if this 'Engage' would be the Warp 9... home.

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:21:54 AM »
I didn't mind Enterprise. Found Scott Bakula really s**** in it though; I could never work out whether I didn't like his character or his acting, or both.

Borg episodes are generally the best for me, regardless of what series they're in.

Online hakka

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:37:18 AM »

DS9 is basically Eastenders in space.  :lol: :lol:

s*** man, maybe you're right...

Online Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 10:40:36 AM »
 :lol: :lol:

Online 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 11:39:54 AM »
For me its TNG, yes it has filler, but in my eyes filler helps develop character, and the show had that in spades. Also the show has Picard. It would be Voyager, if they'd cast another actor as Janeway, my god that women can't act, and has the personality of a broom stick :lol:

Online Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 12:50:29 PM »
The episodes with Wharf and his son :facepalm:

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 01:13:50 PM »
Anything involving any Crusher :facepalm:

mrainey

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 01:26:27 PM »
Voyager was my first ST show and looking back at it now, I think it's my least favorite generation. All that springs to mind is Tom Paris and Harry Kim and that stupid black & white hologram show they were into. And Janeway turning into a croc after warp 10 or something. No. TNG and TOS all the way.

dabe

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 02:10:24 PM »
Anything involving any Crusher :facepalm:

That one season where some awld blonde bint was the Doctor instead...

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
the entirety of season 1 of tng is unbearable

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • arf
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 06:06:30 PM »
If riker didn't have a beard it wasn't a real season. S1 was a mulligan.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 06:27:54 PM »
DS9 is easily the best in terms of story, it really gets good after Sisko shaves his head. I'm currently struggling through Voyager, it's not on the same level as DS9 or TNG for me, the crew seem like amateurs compared to TNG, and Janeway seems to constantly make poor decisions, they should have thrown her out of an airlock.

Offline Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 August 2016, 06:40:43 PM »
I just read the new series will be set 10 years before the original series.  :undecided:  whyyyyyyyy