Author Topic: The Wrestling Thread - TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  (Read 169351 times)

Offline Anderson

• General Member
Re: The Wrestling Thread - TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5600 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 03:00:52 AM »
Goldie in danger of being the first man to have bladed himself to death here. :lol:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline KDT

• General Member
« Reply #5601 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 03:12:01 AM »
That was a lot of blood, a lot.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #5602 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 03:16:44 AM »
f***'s Jack Whitehall doing there? :lol:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #5603 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 03:59:28 AM »
Did CM Punk show up?

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #5604 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 04:53:04 AM »
No, but Jon Moxley/Dean Ambrose going full Stone Cold instead which is the next best thing.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #5605 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
Enjoyable show, well worth the £15.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5606 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 01:29:01 PM »
AEW sounds like it might be legit.

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #5607 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
I have only seen highlights on Youtube but i found the show very promising considering it's their first show and they haven't started weekly TV yet.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #5608 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
... I'll watch this tonight, me thinks.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #5609 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
It was very good in parts. Cody Vs Dustin was the unexpected highlight. Great finish too.

There was a lot of filler mind. Think they need to attract a few more big names to be able to sustain it.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #5610 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 02:16:42 PM »
It was very good in parts. Cody Vs Dustin was the unexpected highlight. Great finish too.

There was a lot of filler mind. Think they need to attract a few more big names to be able to sustain it.

Cody/Dustin was shockingly good. The crowd were absolutely loving that match.

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #5611 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 02:22:07 PM »
Only saw the buy in show which was massively meh. Basically the same thing TNA tried. Bring in a few small technical unknowns to carry some old washed up WWE mid-carders and wrap it in a bit more edgy wrapping (some cursing, some flipping off).

Hope the PPV was miles miles better but it doesnt sound like it with all the "considering it's their first show" comments I see on here and on YT.
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #5612 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 03:27:05 PM »
First show comments are not supposed to be taken as a negative lol.

Just meant as in they haven't even had weekly TV to set up storylines etc etc, the 3 main matches were fantastic based on the highlights video i watched. Dustin vs Cody was brilliant storytelling and had blood  :kasper: Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros seemed really entertaining if not a little ridiculous with some of the false finishes and Jericho vs Omega seemed predictably great.

Then it was ended great with Jon Moxley ( Ambrose) DDTing everyone that moved after the main event. :lol:  It was a very promising start and we'll see where they go once they do weekly TV.

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #5613 on: Sunday 26 May 2019, 08:21:41 PM »
I really enjoyed that.

I saw a spoiler about Moxley unfortunately but still loved the 2019 Stone Cold re-incarnation ending. I thought Ambrose was the most interesting of The Shield, back when they debuted, but WWE quickly made me bored of him. Hopefully he can become what I thought he could.

For me, the Young Bucks match was the best match of the night. Maybe due to the fact that I only watch WWE [notoriously negligent of tag team wrestling], but some of the spots were unbelievably entertaining. I agree there was probably a few too many false finishes, but I felt like they wanted to show tag wrestling to be an equal to singles wrestling, and it went a fair way to making you believe that.

I obviously also really enjoyed the Cody/Dustin match, too. It was the best story of the night and was wrapped up nicely with the tear jerking speech at the end.

Raw and the proceeding few shows will be interesting. WWE need to react because I can't see AEW being a flop; at least not immediately.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #5614 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 01:58:17 AM »
Enjoyed that a lot personally. I think the negative of it being a ppv with no weekly TV build up is countered by everyone's desperation for an alternative.

I like the criticism of "washed up stars" while simultaneously saying they need to sign bigger names. They dont. They need to build their own names. Can't wait for the weekly show.

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #5615 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 09:00:04 AM »
The term was "washed up mid-carder". I know it sounds awfully negative but it just reeks of the TNA approach, who did the same and had similar digs at WWE for a cheap pop when they started the Monday night "war" again. I really hope they use these old names to get their own names over and start building their own stars immediately and stop acknowledging WWE. Just do your own thing.

That being said what I've seen of the PPV was a whole lot better than the buy in show so it does look more promising than what I initially thought.

I'm a bit of a sucker for big monsters with power moves. Hope they get someone in so it's not all small lean "normal" guys dancing around in the ring. I want to see some devastation that isn't exclusively done from the top rope.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #5616 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 11:50:14 AM »
When do the weekly shows start?
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #5617 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 11:53:29 AM »
When do the weekly shows start?

October apparently.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #5618 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 12:00:04 PM »
The term was "washed up mid-carder". I know it sounds awfully negative but it just reeks of the TNA approach, who did the same and had similar digs at WWE for a cheap pop when they started the Monday night "war" again. I really hope they use these old names to get their own names over and start building their own stars immediately and stop acknowledging WWE. Just do your own thing.

That being said what I've seen of the PPV was a whole lot better than the buy in show so it does look more promising than what I initially thought.

I'm a bit of a sucker for big monsters with power moves. Hope they get someone in so it's not all small lean "normal" guys dancing around in the ring. I want to see some devastation that isn't exclusively done from the top rope.

Oh noes. I was getting back on board until that last paragraph. Honestly I'd love it if they never have anyone over 250lbs. Vince's obsession with giants has killed hundreds of careers before they get off the ground.

I'm fine with bruisers, but I really don't want some 7ft slow c*** coming in and playing the standard beast/monster role.

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #5619 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 12:03:29 PM »
I want to see talented people, couldn't care less if they are 300 lbs or 150 lbs tbh.

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #5620 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
A lot of the big guys in the WWE are apparently way more agile and technical than they're shown to be, but are held back to play a certain role the WWE wants. I'd love to see what AEW could do with f.ex a Lars Sullivan. In WWE he'll no doubt continue to crush some jobbers for a few more weeks, then start a feud with Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins/John Cena and get squashed in the first PPV and end up as a glorified jobber until the next time their super heroes needs to defy the odds where he'll get a little push to legitimize him again before being squashed.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #5621 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:24:42 PM »
Can't imagine a well documented racist/homophobe/mess is the type of talent they're after while promoting themselves as the most inclusive brand in the business. :lol:

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #5622 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
Do think there's a middle ground in attracting bigger names, before you arrive at the washed-up stars like Dreamer & Gunn. Any more WWE contracts due up soon other than The Revival and Luke Harper? Could see a lot of the ex-NXT talent who've struggled to make an impact on the main card prosper there. Hopefully they can get PAC on-board again sooner rather than later. Can imagine we'll see other big name, non-WWE talent before too long as well - the likes of Ospreay etc.

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #5623 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:40:40 PM »
Was more thinking type of wrestler than the person himself :lol: Saw him live a few weeks back. Absolute unit, and athletic/rapid af.

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
« Reply #5624 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 04:21:29 PM »
I think if they could get three or four underutilised WWE upper-midcarders it could go a long way towards giving them real name recognition while rounding out their own main event. You can have too many slight athletic guys with heavily choreographed movesets. Rusev and Luke Harper would be ideal, and while he seems more comfortable Nakamura would really pop in AEW.