Author Topic: General NUFC Thread  (Read 312306 times)

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
Re: General NUFC Thread
« Reply #5050 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
Aaron Hughes wins that title hands down. Should never have been flogged.

Should never have been flogged and replaced with that drunken crock Craig Moore.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5051 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 12:45:59 PM »
Aaron Hughes wins that title hands down. Should never have been flogged.

Should never have been flogged and replaced with that drunken crock Craig Moore.

One of my fave unsung heroes, lovely fella too!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Conjo

• General Member
« Reply #5052 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Yeah, Aaron Hughes is a great shout. Unfortunately he was needed at RB for the most part while playing for us instead of playing in his favored CB position. He did pretty well for Fulham there after he left us.
Toon Army Norway - www.newutd.no

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #5053 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 01:22:23 PM »
Lovenkrands for me

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #5054 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
Can't recall Lovenkrands ever getting insufficient praise?

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #5055 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 01:42:31 PM »
Probably underappreciated rather than underrated I guess, just think he gets a bit forgotten about when talking about that Championship season and scored some vital goals the season before and after

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5056 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:04:33 PM »
Of all our players since I’ve been supporting, again I can’t look past Scott Sellars who wasn’t a winger like Gillespie, but a very very intelligent footballer with a great pass on him, terrific energy and discipline and who could have played infield or off a front two. He was massively underrated by Toon fans and the football world in general.

Not by KK though thankfully and he gave KK’s earlier team so much and had he been 21 when he signed he’d have turned into a top-class player for us no doubt. Today he’d be an England regular I’m sure at the height of his game, he’s another who credits KK with making him realise he was a much better player than he or anyone knew or thought and that he enjoyed his football the most while here.

Unfortunately for him, he was no Ginola and KK wanted such a player in there. He could have easily stayed and picked up a wage, but he wanted to play given his age and as much as I’m sure KK would have preferred him to stay, he was a player’s man and would never have wanted a player to sacrifice his own career like that.

Leeds during that era seemed to have had some very underrated players playing for them, Batty although considered a top defensive midfielder, was actually a very good footballer.

Oh and he did score past the mackems Sellars.

I have very fond memories of him and regard him as a top player for us in the time he was here.

Venison was underrated too in terms of what he give us as a character/personality, huge according to those who shared the dressing room with him at the time. That goalie clearance against Luton on the FA Cup I think... shame they knocked us out :lol: Hartson and Oakes looked real prospects then.

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #5057 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
Acuna was underrated imo

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • The greatest show on Darth
« Reply #5058 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:07:06 PM »
Danny Simpson definitely wasn’t. That throw in. Never forgive. Never forget.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #5059 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:14:22 PM »

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #5060 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
Acuna was underrated imo

I was only 10 or so when we signed him. I can remember him scoring v Leeds (twice, maybe?).

I enjoy reading some of the old match reports on nufc.com from their On This Day in History section - they were never too complimentary on Acuna.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #5061 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:19:11 PM »
nufc.com have a lot of pathetic grudges against ex players.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5062 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:26:51 PM »
Acuna was underrated imo

THIS. Sign him at 23 or something and he’d have been one hell of a player for us.

Domi was another, arguably the most competent LB I’ve seen for us as a footballer and then full-back. Just lacked the right attitude. Under KK or SBR he could have been our Evra. I mean Bernard was turned into a very good attacking FB and he wasn’t half as talented as Domi.

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #5063 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:30:36 PM »

Acuna wasn't an ex-player at the time their match reports were posted online.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5064 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:35:49 PM »
I wasn't around these parts during Milner's time but I remember some fans on other forums slating him every match. He was one of my favorite players his final year here.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5065 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:37:55 PM »

They seem to have grudges against everyone. Constant digs at Rafa even when he was manager, they used to slag Bruce rotten when he was Bag Puss at Birmingham or the mackems, they’ve went easy on him this year.

They look for any fault to have a dig or a snipe at. From KK to whoever. They love a dig at forums and social media fan outlets too.

In their defence though, they are doing no different than you or I, offering an opinion and as a resource in terms of records, stats, info and such, they are second to none. I’d hire them tomorrow if I Owned the club to run the club’s online website.

It’s the sitting on the fence I really hate the most. Have some balls.

Online Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #5066 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:38:12 PM »
Definitely agree about Domi. He was on a par with Bernard & Enrique for me. Class player.
?s=21

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #5067 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:39:33 PM »

They seem to have grudges against everyone. Constant digs at Rafa even when he was manager, they used to slag Bruce rotten when he was Bag Puss at Birmingham or the mackems, they’ve went easy on him this year.

They look for any fault to have a dig or a snipe at. From KK to whoever. They love a dig at forums and social media fan outlets too.

In their defence though, they are doing no different than you or I, offering an opinion and as a resource in terms of records, stats, info and such, they are second to none. I’d hire them tomorrow if I Owned the club to run the club’s online website.

It’s the sitting on the fence I really hate the most. Have some balls.

They're probably just two middle-aged blokes that get p*ssed at the match and whinge about us being s****. Don't see the problem mesel!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5068 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:41:39 PM »
I wasn't around these parts during Milner's time but I remember some fans on other forums slating him every match. He was one of my favorite players his final year here.

Milner was obviously, looking back, wrongly/badly used while here especially given his age and inexperience. He’s aged well in terms of his game though and become a consistent performer who does the simple things well using his work rate, selflessness and experience. When he was with us, he would frustrate because he’d try and beat his man with a trick or a feint but had zero pace or actual flair so it just looked s***. He could actually cross a ball though. Had he been converted to a full-back earlier on right at the start, he’d have been a top-class one IMO.

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #5069 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:43:23 PM »

Milner was obviously, looking back, wrongly/badly used while here especially given his age and inexperience. He’s aged well in terms of his game though and become a consistent performer who does the simple things well using his work rate, selflessness and experience. When he was with us, he would frustrate because he’d try and beat his man with a trick or a feint but had zero pace or actual flair so it just looked s***. He could actually cross a ball though. Had he been converted to a full-back earlier on right at the start, he’d have been a top-class one IMO.

Being managed by Souness and told "you won't win anything with a team full of Milners" wouldn't have helped. We signed him in 2004 and by 2008 he had been managed by Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Keegan. Hardly would have helped - I'm sure Allardyce said he was never a right winger, too.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #5070 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
The only thing I remember about Danny Simpson was his ridiculous backtracking and goal line clearances.

A mere amateur at backing off compared to Warren Barton.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5071 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:53:11 PM »
Definitely agree about Domi. He was on a par with Bernard & Enrique for me. Class player.

He was the best of the two combined for me, Bernard offensively and Enrique defensively. He was like a winger at times going forward as well and super quick when he got going. Such a wasted talent.

I thought Distin was massively underrated too. I was gutted we didn’t sign him permanently after his loan spell. He could play either side of CB and LB and alongside a fit Woodgate would have given us our Rio/Vidic type duo.

Viana was massively underrated too, in a sense he was underused and under valued as what he could give a team. He arrived too early for the kind of league in play back then, fast, touch tackling, direct. Veron similar.

Today they’d be outstanding playmakers of the PL.

I thought Tino’s work-rate was underrated too, he tracked back, tried to tackle and often went looking for the ball rather than just waiting for it. Ginola was the opposite :lol:

After he signed the players were shocked how much he liked to tackle in training. Tino himself said what did they expect, he was from Columbia and had to fight for everything and got kicked far worse in Italy.

Watch how hard he worked in the West Ham (home) match or the Barca match on and off the ball, arguably his two best performances for us.

Online Judge Holden

• General Member
« Reply #5072 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Viana bottled a massive 50/50 in the UEFA semi that led to Drogba's first goal.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5073 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:54:57 PM »

Being managed by Souness and told "you won't win anything with a team full of Milners" wouldn't have helped. We signed him in 2004 and by 2008 he had been managed by Robson, Souness, Roeder, Allardyce and Keegan. Hardly would have helped - I'm sure Allardyce said he was never a right winger, too.

KK practically resigned because they sold Milner, a player he wanted to build a team around by adding quality around. The future of his team and NUFC. Funny how he had this knack of seeing things in players others didn’t... not bad for a tactical no nowt!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #5074 on: Monday 23 March 2020, 02:55:33 PM »
Viana bottled a massive 50/50 in the UEFA semi that led to Drogba's first goal.

Aye. That was unforgettable. He never recovered. A few players bottled that season to be honest, Sir Bobby himself at times too.