Poll

Would you rather:

Sell
93 (34.3%)
Keep
178 (65.7%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 447770 times)

Offline Newcastle Fan

• General Member
  • NUFC forever
Re: Jonjo Shelvey
« Reply #6925 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 09:57:50 PM »
Jonjo at least tries to pass the ball forward and create something, Jeff Hendrick next to him absolutely does nothing week in week out.

Offline Aiston

• General Member
« Reply #6926 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 09:58:51 PM »
Jonjo at least tries to pass the ball forward and create something, Jeff Hendrick next to him absolutely does nothing week in week out.

Shelvey is meant to be creative and he does a pathetic job of it, Hendrick isn't the same kind of player, Hendrick isn't in a team to create anything.

Shelvey is the one that gifted Man United the game (with Bruce), not Hendrick as well.

Offline Mr Logic

• Lord of the pikeys
  • General Member
« Reply #6927 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
If Shelvey had anything better than a 50cc engine he'd be pretty good.
A life spent in fear is a life half lived.

Online NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #6928 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:04:28 PM »
He's terrible, man. If we were a proper football club he'd have been peddled years ago.

Offline Segun Oluwaniyi

• babatunde
  • General Member
  • Place where the number one cause of death is money
« Reply #6929 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:08:50 PM »
The most annoying part of watching this player is hearing the commentator every week talk about what he "has in his locker" the "ability he has" when he plays his 50th long pass directly to the keeper, has an unnecessarily difficult pass blocked, or plays a long diagonal that does not progress the team. You would think he was some version of Pirlo, and it was NUFC that was holding him back. Jonjo has attributes; his goal record from midfield is good and he is fairly progressive with the ball, but the negatives outweigh the positives, imo. You will never build a serious team with him as one the two midfielders. Defensively, he is lazy and has the dynamism of Anita and Colback. Going forward, he is slow on and off the ball. Shelvey will never be anything more than an decent player for a poor team or a bench player for a decent one. He'd have no place in a serious side.

Online huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6930 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:09:19 PM »
cannit cross a ball or take a set piece for s***.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline andyc35i

« Reply #6931 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:24:00 PM »
His inability to run cost us the goal for 2-1.

A midfielder in a two needs to be able to run back as much as he does going forward. Watching him run is like watching someone try and move in slow motion. It makes no sense that he hasn’t been replaced. I guess he’s ones of Bruce’s good characters so an automatic starter 

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #6932 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:28:40 PM »
His inability to run cost us the goal for 2-1.

A midfielder in a two needs to be able to run back as much as he does going forward. Watching him run is like watching someone try and move in slow motion. It makes no sense that he hasn’t been replaced. I guess he’s ones of Bruce’s good characters so an automatic starter 

It's a combination of not being a great runner combined with a complete lack of self awareness of how hopeless he is at it.

The number of times he will try and close in instances he is better off staying in position because he's never getting there is astonishing.

Someone like Mark Noble is just as poor an athlete, but he never manages to look this useless I don't think.
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline TRon

• General Member
« Reply #6933 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:30:57 PM »
If Shelvey had anything better than a 50cc engine he'd be pretty good.

Pretty much. Watching that slide tackle in the first half where he missed it by 5 yards despite starting it early sums him up.

He'd be a great player if the opposition would agree to play the game at walking pace as well.

Offline black_n_white

• General Member
  • Welsh nufc fan
« Reply #6934 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:33:10 PM »
To think we nearly got rid of this time waster a couple years ago

Offline Rompe

• General Member
« Reply #6935 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 10:58:33 PM »
Our midfield was never gonna work after Schär replaced Hayden, hardly Shelveys fault.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #6936 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
Our midfield was never gonna work after Schär replaced Hayden, hardly Shelveys fault.

He was poor before Hayden went off

Offline Rompe

• General Member
« Reply #6937 on: Saturday 17 October 2020, 11:09:22 PM »

Don't think he was particularly worse than anyone else, but thats not my point either. A midfield three of Shelvey, Hendrik and Schar is just stupid, and we were much worse after Hayden went off.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
  • pls die DT
« Reply #6938 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 12:48:11 AM »
You can't carry a player who has zero clue/desire to get the back unless it's messi. Stephen Hawkin could have ran through our midfield today
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #6939 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
He has neither pace nor a change of pace. With the game getting faster and standards in the Premiership improving every year, he looks less and less effective.
People generalise too much.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #6940 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:01:19 AM »

Don't think he was particularly worse than anyone else, but thats not my point either. A midfield three of Shelvey, Hendrik and Schar is just stupid, and we were much worse after Hayden went off.

Really? Schar looks uncomfortable in midfield. But I noticed him doing more good work (a lot of lazy stuff, as well) than Hayden and we were equally as s**** and clueless before the change.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #6941 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:03:46 AM »
Thread title change to 'Jogslow Tossface'.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
« Reply #6942 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:06:11 AM »
Jonjowl Shellfish

Online Cheesy Beans

• General Member
« Reply #6943 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
He’s just not good enough to justify playing him for the one worldie pass he makes every 3 games.

Sadly Bruce builds his entire team around him.

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
« Reply #6944 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 09:56:45 AM »
If we were any good, averaged more than about 30% possession or at least coached properly. Then I think Shelvey would have a place in the team for a lot of games. As it is, he is good for about 5 a season. Usually the games where the opposition don’t bother pressing him and he can operate at his own leisurely pace.

Just utterly pointless for a struggling team like us and has been for a while now.

Online Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #6945 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 10:06:07 AM »
Might as well have a cone in the centre instead of him playing.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #6946 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
He got a new contract right :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #6947 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Rafa had this t***’s number.
Yep.
No wonder he loves Bruce. Gets a completely free ride.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6948 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
He got a new contract right :lol:

3 years.  3 MORE YEARS

Offline andyc35i

« Reply #6949 on: Sunday 18 October 2020, 01:19:56 PM »
He will be removed from the team when a new manager comes in, hopefully that’s sooner rather than later