Poll

Would you rather:

Sell
83 (31.8%)
Keep
178 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 255

Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey signs new 3 year contract  (Read 434090 times)

Offline ChrisMcQuillan

• General Member
Re: Jonjo Shelvey signs new 3 year contract
« Reply #6825 on: Monday 6 July 2020, 10:34:52 AM »
I think the current setup opens up a lot more room and time for him as ASM and Almiron are afforded more room in forward areas and have to be accounted for. ASM consistently takes multiple defenders out of the game on his runs and Shelvey can get up the pitch and receive the ball with room further up.

The change in formation has really suited everyone really well. No idea why it took the manager so long to try it out.

He did, we got massacred.

Yeah, as a manager you don't just change it for 5 mins and then switch back again.

He's supposed to actually commit to it and you know, maybe coach the team? Afterall it's working now isn't it?

Ridiculous comment.

:lol:

Rough Monday morning?

I agree - he should commit to it and coach it. Which he seemingly has done now, and it's working.

You asked why it took him so long to try it out. He did try it out. And it fell flat on its arse.

He tried it before, badly, and it didn't work. He's now tried it properly, and it's worked.

Not sure what's "ridiculous" about that.

I'm fine :lol:

Changing it one game is not trying it is my point.

Whatever he has supposedly done now could and should have been done previously.

Absolutely.

That's why he's not a very good coach.

Glad he's got it working, though.
"It is difficult to accept such a person is no longer with us - but he is immortal because he leaves in everybody who knows him a mark of his personality - a great coach but, more than that, a great person." Jose Mourinho on Bobby Robson
@UtdForNewcastle #Time4Change

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #6826 on: Monday 6 July 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
I think the current setup opens up a lot more room and time for him as ASM and Almiron are afforded more room in forward areas and have to be accounted for. ASM consistently takes multiple defenders out of the game on his runs and Shelvey can get up the pitch and receive the ball with room further up.

The change in formation has really suited everyone really well. No idea why it took the manager so long to try it out.

He did, we got massacred.

Yeah, as a manager you don't just change it for 5 mins and then switch back again.

He's supposed to actually commit to it and you know, maybe coach the team? Afterall it's working now isn't it?

Ridiculous comment.

:lol:

Rough Monday morning?

I agree - he should commit to it and coach it. Which he seemingly has done now, and it's working.

You asked why it took him so long to try it out. He did try it out. And it fell flat on its arse.

He tried it before, badly, and it didn't work. He's now tried it properly, and it's worked.

Not sure what's "ridiculous" about that.

I'm fine :lol:

Changing it one game is not trying it is my point.

Whatever he has supposedly done now could and should have been done previously.

He did, and as was pointed out. We got massacred.

He then went back to what was left to him and he didn't have to work with i.e. Rafa's system which got us safe and over the line, now he's decided to open up a bit when there is no pressure in the form of relegation threat and also no toxic atmosphere.

We're playing well, but let's remember we've won against a Shef Utd team that were knackered and down to 10 men after their second game of the restart in 3(or 4) days, Bournemouth who are f***ing dreadful and drawn against West Ham United and Aston Villa.

Bruce is hardly some mastermind of attacking football so stop trying to big him up as something he isn't.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #6827 on: Monday 6 July 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
Your response does not follow any logic whatsoever, and completely disregards all the points made earlier on.

If you think changing the formation for one game and over reacting to the result is acceptable then good for you.

If you think it was fine to persist with the football we played earlier this season and not making any changes whatsoever was acceptable then good for you.

I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #6828 on: Monday 6 July 2020, 11:31:32 AM »
My response follows plenty of logic which seemingly you're incapable of grasping.

We played to Rafa/the players system and were doing OK (by our standards), Bruce continuously put down the style of play and said he wanted to attack more - a very typical statement from English managers. Tried it and got utterly f***ing destroyed.

He (or rather the players) played the way would get us safe for the rest of the season and it worked. Now under a zero pressure environment he has tried more expansive football and it has yielded 2 wins and 2 draws of which 3 teams we got these results against were sitting in the relegation zone. Good, but hardly something to w*** over and claim we should have played that way all season.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
« Reply #6829 on: Monday 6 July 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
Well your logic stinks.

As previously mentioned, the so called destruction came against one of the best teams in the league, where we also had Hayden sent off. On the day we were also missing both Shelvey and ASM and Almiron was being played on the right side, his most ineffective position. After this result it was ditched. Without giving it another go with all 11 men and ASM and Shelvey in the team. Brilliant decision according to you. Um ... no!

Meanwhile in the holy grail formation that you claim was so good and got us safe, we still got tonked 3 goals to nil by the same Leicester team at home, but this time with all 11 men on the pitch for the whole game. Not to mention the bottom team in the league battered us previously in this same formation, as did Villa who are also in the relegation zone currently. Yet, according to you that was still fine to remain with that setup despite those results.

None of your points make any sense.
« Last Edit: Monday 6 July 2020, 12:19:47 PM by KaKa »
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #6830 on: Tuesday 7 July 2020, 06:12:20 PM »

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #6831 on: Tuesday 7 July 2020, 09:27:58 PM »
Some highlights reel tbf.

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #6832 on: Tuesday 7 July 2020, 10:39:24 PM »
He's had a wonderful preseason tbf to him.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6833 on: Thursday 9 July 2020, 02:04:16 PM »
passing isnt the problem, its the lack of energy/mobilty.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #6834 on: Thursday 9 July 2020, 02:06:14 PM »
Which made it even more bizarre that we played him behind the striker last night

Offline Rafalove

• General Member
  • Was summerof69
« Reply #6835 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 01:21:30 AM »
Finished the season as top goal scorer with 6 goals. Our lowest top scorer in the clubs history.

Offline Wallsendmag

• General Member
« Reply #6836 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 01:34:46 AM »
Well your logic stinks.

As previously mentioned, the so called destruction came against one of the best teams in the league, where we also had Hayden sent off. On the day we were also missing both Shelvey and ASM and Almiron was being played on the right side, his most ineffective position. After this result it was ditched. Without giving it another go with all 11 men and ASM and Shelvey in the team. Brilliant decision according to you. Um ... no!

Meanwhile in the holy grail formation that you claim was so good and got us safe, we still got tonked 3 goals to nil by the same Leicester team at home, but this time with all 11 men on the pitch for the whole game. Not to mention the bottom team in the league battered us previously in this same formation, as did Villa who are also in the relegation zone currently. Yet, according to you that was still fine to remain with that setup despite those results.

We played with only 10 men from the 47th minute onwards against Leicester at home.
Sunderland AFC - The club that knowingly played a paedophile

Offline toontownman

• General Member
« Reply #6837 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 01:50:48 AM »
Finished the season as top goal scorer with 6 goals. Our lowest top scorer in the clubs history.
Another amazing stat. How do we fare on overall goals scored though. Can see it being spun that Bruce has created a much better contributing team..how amazing we have stayed up and Bruce has done the job he has with his strikers letting him down. Or is that the wrong way round too?
Chris Hughton, simply the best manager we had from 2009-2010.

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
« Reply #6838 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 01:55:48 AM »
Well your logic stinks.

We played with only 10 men from the 47th minute onwards against Leicester at home.

No we did not.

Offline Wallsendmag

• General Member
« Reply #6839 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 02:48:47 AM »
Well your logic stinks.

No we did not.

I was there (admittedly I left at half time) but I'm fairly certain we'd used all 3 subs by half time and then Schar got injured right at the start of the 2nd half and had to go off.
Sunderland AFC - The club that knowingly played a paedophile

Offline KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
« Reply #6840 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 02:58:03 AM »
Well your logic stinks.

No we did not.

I was there (admittedly I left at half time) but I'm fairly certain we'd used all 3 subs by half time and then Schar got injured right at the start of the 2nd half and had to go off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50908725

Seems you are indeed correct. My mistake.

However, my point in the original post still stands. In this game we were already down by two and were not looking a threat to score as usual. Besides, we had already been dealt with by far lesser teams in that formation as I mentioned.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #6841 on: Monday 27 July 2020, 03:42:57 AM »

Jesus.