Poll

Would you rather:

Sell
60 (25.8%)
Keep
173 (74.2%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 393476 times)

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
Re: Jonjo Shelvey
« Reply #6250 on: Thursday 3 January 2019, 10:07:50 pm »
We just don’t have the other players to put around him and make him look good. Midfield 3 with a couple of hard workers he’d be free to float around hitting passes.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #6251 on: Thursday 3 January 2019, 10:09:13 pm »
We just don’t have the other players to put around him and make him look good. Midfield 3 with a couple of hard workers he’d be free to float around hitting passes.

A few games last season he looked good. Again, that's only a few, the bloke's not consistent enough and never has been.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #6252 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 01:36:02 pm »
His 'tackle' has been mentioned on every BBc sport report (5) today. Boils my p*ss, if this were Felani on Rondon- would not have been mentioned at all in any media- prem has become a big arse licking parade of the top six and the sooner it eats itself the better.

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #6253 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 05:41:53 pm »
Would he be better off as a number 10?

We don't have a 10 as it stands. Perez is our only candidate, and he shouldn't be anywhere near any PL team.

BTW, I think Shelvey should be moved on ASAP. He's a luxury player who isn't producing the goods - and we certainly haven't got the capacity in our midfield to carry luxury players.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #6254 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 05:53:00 pm »

i maintain having seen Ki over a few games now that he's far better for the team as whole though shelvey is capable of moments of sheer brilliance

there were times the other night he got the ball in our half and hit a snap 40 yard long pass looking for rondon up against 3 defenders...maybe if we had peak drogba or shearer it'd be worth it but it's just not, Ki moves the ball up and the team go with him

we're gonna miss him a lot
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline AsprillasShinPad

• General Member
« Reply #6255 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 06:00:35 pm »

i maintain having seen Ki over a few games now that he's far better for the team as whole though shelvey is capable of moments of sheer brilliance

there were times the other night he got the ball in our half and hit a snap 40 yard long pass looking for rondon up against 3 defenders...maybe if we had peak drogba or shearer it'd be worth it but it's just not, Ki moves the ball up and the team go with him

we're gonna miss him a lot
I agree if we had a Shearer, Crouch or Carroll then Shelvey would be useful.  As it stands, we need our midfield to do the yards, which he just doesn't do.

Offline Jayson

• General Member
« Reply #6256 on: Friday 4 January 2019, 07:37:29 pm »
When Shelveys on his game we're a better side. He and Diame outplayed several central midfield pairings last season and were a big part in us doing well. His ball to Perez was an example of what he can bring.

The laziness in getting back seems to have creeped in again however, which he seemed to have worked on a lot last season aswell as his fitness. He's had injuries and missed quite a few games, which likely leads to things like the Pogba tackle due to wanting to get on the ball more. He's always lacked control to a point.

If we can get the Diame & Shelvey from last season, with KI also we should be able to win games. But you could say similar of Kenedy & Ritchie.

The main thing missing to me is the boost of confidence/feeling of progression we got from actually making some signings last season and bringing new faces in. Rafa can't replicate that feeling of excitement in the fans and players in the same way. As Ritchie said in his interview, most of it is probably about belief.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6259 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 12:27:12 am »
Jesus that is dross.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6260 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:49:22 pm »
just so f***ing deep all the time, and so little movement. relying on 1 in 3 hollywood long passes working.
compare that to Ki.
unfortunately he's our best midfielder at the moment.
john gibson in the chronicle this afternoon;
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #6261 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:54:00 pm »
Annoyed me today, what's the point in dropping between the two CB's to hit 60 yards passes, when those two CB's can hit them with the same ability, near as, just pointless in the extreme.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6263 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 09:59:39 pm »
Annoyed me today, what's the point in dropping between the two CB's to hit 60 yards passes, when those two CB's can hit them with the same ability, near as, just pointless in the extreme.

aye, just no energy or movement from him otherwise.
without Ki, shelvey in undroppable.
"John Carver has talked of playing two up top in an effort to score goals, tactically be more direct to grind out points, and just about every other possibility known to man or beast. They are the ramblings of a drowning desperado."

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #6264 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:01:16 pm »
He played an inch perfect pass to Joselu

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #6265 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:03:44 pm »

A great pass that Joselu f***ed up, again.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6266 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:06:30 pm »

yeah he did, but we need a lot more from him.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #6267 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:09:27 pm »
He played a perfect ball to Ayoze on Wednesday too.

Offline huss9

• General Member
  • heathen
« Reply #6268 on: Saturday 5 January 2019, 10:15:49 pm »
one perfect pass per game to create a goalscoring opportunity isnt enough.

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #6269 on: Sunday 6 January 2019, 12:27:26 am »

Isn't it? It's better than what most of the others are doing.

Offline covmag

• General Member
« Reply #6270 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 12:20:56 pm »
Being reported he’s struggling with injury after the weekend again  :huff:

Off to Spain to try and sort

Ffs
Ashley has killed my club

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #6271 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 12:55:55 pm »

It was one perfect pass in 30 minutes of play, during which time our entire forward line and wingers were doing next to f***ing nowt.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #6272 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 01:22:39 pm »
Our only player who can pass forward other than Ki injured. Superb.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6273 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 01:26:42 pm »
Can we recall Colback.

:yao:

Online ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6274 on: Monday 7 January 2019, 01:31:29 pm »
Well we are literally going to have to sign one.
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"