Poll

How would you vote now?

LEAVE
REMAIN

Author Topic: why is it so hard to do a Brexit  (Read 555988 times)

mrmojorisin75 (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
Re: EU Referendum - the Aftermath
« Reply #20175 on: Saturday 5 May 2018, 04:18:46 pm »
I know, doubt remainers would.  It's the leavers that'll be in a pickle, I'd imagine, though. 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #20176 on: Sunday 6 May 2018, 10:04:39 pm »
Tories still at one another's throats about all this. :thup: :thup: :thup:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #20177 on: Wednesday 9 May 2018, 10:20:55 am »

Sounds like a great idea this, the kind of thing that could make a few private companies a fortune.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20178 on: Wednesday 9 May 2018, 10:24:57 am »

Sounds like a great idea this, the kind of thing that could make a few private companies a fortune.
Nailed it. It never stops with them, crush and destroy everything so private companies can swoop in and save us all. Was amazed to hear yesterday about the £200 per month private police force that's being rolled out.

But Corbyn I suppose.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #20179 on: Wednesday 9 May 2018, 01:53:11 pm »

Nailed it. It never stops with them, crush and destroy everything so private companies can swoop in and save us all. Was amazed to hear yesterday about the £200 per month private police force that's being rolled out.

But Corbyn I suppose.

Williamson was selling fireplaces 2 years ago.
Imoral, lowlife c***...no offence.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #20180 on: Wednesday 9 May 2018, 05:24:15 pm »
Think it was The Sun that spun it as a '£3bn boost to the economy'  :lol:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #20181 on: Friday 11 May 2018, 08:41:01 am »
Almost 2 years since the vote and we are just looking at this now?  :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44077847

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #20182 on: Friday 11 May 2018, 02:04:59 pm »
It’ll take a decade at least, strap yourself in.

Online Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #20183 on: Friday 11 May 2018, 02:06:24 pm »
Its a strap-on when you're in the EU.

Just kidding before the EU blue shirts come after me.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #20185 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 07:41:08 am »
May appointing 10 new Tory peers to get around the Lords' insistence on amending the EU Withdrawal Bill.

Isn't democracy wonderful?

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • You might still see them in the desert
« Reply #20186 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 07:52:45 am »
Not saying I agree with it but that's just what happens with the Lords like :dontknow:

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20187 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 08:48:10 am »
Not saying I agree with it but that's just what happens with the Lords like :dontknow:

wait, what, is it?  has that happened before, a government specifically appointing a set number of peers in order to push through a specific piece of shitty legislation?

that's genuine..i mean i know they appoint whoever they like in order to rebalance it for themselves but was not aware it could just be done on a whim like this

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Darth Crooks

• General Member
  • Han Colo's dark side
« Reply #20188 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 09:09:31 am »
It's alright those unelected bureaucrats will step in and quash the whole thing.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #20189 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 09:37:24 am »
https://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/whos-in-the-house-of-lords/members-and-their-roles/how-members-are-appointed/

Members can be appointed, on a party basis on political lists to ‘top up’ each of the three main party groups’ strengths, on the expectation that they will attend regularly and perhaps take on frontbench work as spokespersons or business managers (whips).

They just cram them in there whenever they want and it can be done in weeks as long as they can think of a title; that's why it's such a bullshit chamber and why I was so dubious about people cheering on their dashed good sense when it came to brexit.  I have nowt against the principle of a second chamber and I have no idea how I'd like it to work, but it's always the same - when the Lords are on the right side of the argument for people, they're a valuable buffer against the worst excesses of government, and when they're on the wrong side of the argument they're a bunch of old unelected blowhards who know absolutely nothing :lol:

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20190 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 10:17:17 am »
yeah i get that, but assuming the post below was correct and that she's going to appoint 10 of them to specifically try and pass a piece of legislation has that ever been done before in such a deliberate and transparent way?

i seem to recall blair redressed the balance pretty dramatically at one point in his tenure but i don't recall it being something specific like to stop them blocking his shitty policies

Sleep now in the fire

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #20191 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 11:00:15 am »
Know what you're saying but why else would they do it, other than to get their legislation through?  It reached the stage where there were hundreds of billions (TM) of them wedged in there because the ones they couldn't rely on for votes weren't dying quickly enough.  I think perhaps people are just more interested than usual in this particular legislation's progress through parliament, I don't think it changes the fact that the Lords is a poorly administered institution and needs reformed somehow and I don't think it's necessarily any more shameless than when this has been done before.  Tony's Cronies and Dave's Faves, all just there to help bundle through legislation like a bunch of feudal medieval forelock-tuggers :lol:

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20192 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 11:19:24 am »
yeah i see what you're saying like but let's be honest with ourselves, like everything related to brexit this really is a different kettle of fish

the tories have bribed their way to be able to push things through in the commons with the DUP and the only place holding them to reasonable account atm is the lords and they're evidently going to try and stop that now as well

system is a bag of s*** i agree, but this is really poor imo and if blair or whoever else was appointing peers just to get something specific through then i'd be saying the same

Sleep now in the fire

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #20193 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 11:31:38 am »
:dontknow: as I say, this is the way the lords has always worked for me, it's bollocks.  It's the brexit factor which is getting people agitated, of course, but at the end of the day it's the same old gerrymandering the makeup of the lords to get a legislative agenda through just like they've been doing for decades and centuries.  The content of legislation is neither here nor there, it's how it's always been done (and that's all I'm saying, really).  No doubt the true-blue dyed in the wool tories of the country were every bit as aghast when Blair did the same thing to push through his programme. 

One specific bill, a whole legislative agenda containing 20 bills, what's the difference really?  They can't get something through, they can fix it.  It's s****.  I know what you're saying but it's like tax evasion; it's the fact that they can do it at all that's the real issue.

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20194 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 11:39:11 am »
everything you say is correct, i agree, but you're talking about doing it in order to push through the most important piece of legislation in a number of generations at a time when the country has never been so clearly divided over a single issue (imo)

as usual the extraordinary nature of brexity actions is massively played down by one side and treated with absolute balance by the other :whistle:

Sleep now in the fire

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #20195 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 11:51:14 am »
I'm not playing anything down man, I've said quite clearly that it's bullshit, I'm obviously just not as surprised as you are that six months of Lords Threaten Brexit headlines have led to this being considered

The shame for me is that specific sections of the public only get angry about the way the Lords works when it affects something they're passionate about.

It literally could not be any more ridiculous.  Months of Sun and Daily Mail reporting about those terrible Lords threatening their Brexit with remainers cheering the Other Place, to be potentially replaced with an entirely legitimate stroke of the PM and Queen's pens with the Sun and Daily Mail reporting about the Lords finally coming to order and remainers bemoaning the Other Place.  It's the system that's s*** here.
« Last Edit: Friday 18 May 2018, 12:30:33 pm by OpenC »

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #20196 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 12:14:32 pm »
‘So it’s happening. Italy’s 5 Star and Lega to form EU’s first populist, eurosceptic government.’

Wew

Online mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #20197 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 01:06:25 pm »
I'm not playing anything down man, I've said quite clearly that it's bullshit, I'm obviously just not as surprised as you are that six months of Lords Threaten Brexit headlines have led to this being considered

The shame for me is that specific sections of the public only get angry about the way the Lords works when it affects something they're passionate about.

It literally could not be any more ridiculous.  Months of Sun and Daily Mail reporting about those terrible Lords threatening their Brexit with remainers cheering the Other Place, to be potentially replaced with an entirely legitimate stroke of the PM and Queen's pens with the Sun and Daily Mail reporting about the Lords finally coming to order and remainers bemoaning the Other Place.  It's the system that's s*** here.

whistle smiley dude

Sleep now in the fire

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #20198 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 01:22:24 pm »
I've never been sure what the whistle smiley is supposed to convey, is the truth of it :lol:  I think we need to convene a smiley council and subsequent Smiley Dictionary

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #20199 on: Friday 18 May 2018, 01:36:58 pm »
f***ing hell, C, get your forum game together man.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.