Poll

What would be the best option?

Theresa May's deal
Walk away with no deal
Forget it and stay in

Author Topic: why is it so hard to do a Brexit  (Read 600143 times)

Raconteur and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
Re: why is it so hard to do a Brexit
« Reply #23475 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 01:52:18 pm »
Now December makes me shiver
With each address that May delivers
Bad news on the brexit
We're incompetent, what, no s***.
I do believe we had the chance
to break the stranglehold of banks.
But something deep inside it stank
The day, the UK died.

:clap:

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #23476 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:10:29 pm »

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #23477 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:41:43 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/world/europe/brexit-sunderland-nissan-may.html

Sunderland featured in the NY Times

I get the 'Hitting back at a government who - they feel - has ignored them during the austerity years.'
But I don't get 'So let's decide to leave the only body that actually tries to reverse this damage.'

The tabloids and their foreign owners bare most of the responsibility for this.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #23478 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:44:23 pm »
I get the 'Hitting back at a government who - they feel - has ignored them during the austerity years.'
But I don't get 'So let's decide to leave the only body that actually tries to reverse this damage.'

and so we come full circle, nees & hans incoming in 1,2,3....
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #23479 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:54:10 pm »

:lol:

Offline summerof69

• General Member
« Reply #23480 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 01:23:23 pm »
Regional assembly would have been the answer. Instead the north east likes to p*ss and moan, we don’t feel represented and end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #23481 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 01:29:16 pm »
Regional assembly would have been the answer. Instead the north east likes to p*ss and moan, we don’t feel represented and end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

:thup:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #23482 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 02:22:11 pm »
That was a missed opportunity, but it still wouldn't matter too much if central government is an austerity charged Tory party.  Scottish Government would have twice the powers of the regional assembly, but it still can't protect us from the damage London is doing. 
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #23483 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 03:37:55 pm »

Maybe they’re not just all talk when it comes to their hatred of neo-liberal capitalism?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/22/austerity-corbyn-eu-brexit-peoples-vote

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #23484 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 03:42:17 pm »

Maybe they’re not just all talk when it comes to their hatred of neo-liberal capitalism?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/22/austerity-corbyn-eu-brexit-peoples-vote

as the saying goes, there is only one way to skin a cat
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #23485 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 04:21:40 pm »

I thought you'd moved on from this? By that logic where was the EU protection for the Greeks who had their money flow switched off and forced to take on a debt burden they can barely afford.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #23486 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 06:24:47 pm »

But... Bananas.

Only kidding, brilliant article.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #23487 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 03:07:33 pm »

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #23488 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 04:53:37 pm »
About two minutes too long.  Has May's hunch perfectly though, top marks. :thup:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #23489 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:18:38 pm »

But... Bananas.

It's yet another attempt to frame the referendum result to fit a particular political viewpoint. It wasn't a vote on Tory austerity or rejection of the neo-liberal economic policies of the EU- I don't remember seeing those on the ballot paper.

But even then, should Labour be that concerned? As the article stated, many of these people don't generally vote anyway or had never voted before, whereas 65% of those declaring as Labour voters voted Remain. Why should the votes of those one-timers be worth more, either morally or politically, than those who are more active at the ballot box?

It glosses over those who voted Leave for total de-regulation free markets aboard the HMS Empire, but the author does not see their views as worthy, presumably due them being Tory scum.

And there is that persistent confidence that Labour would win a GE, but despite the Tories' implosion, they are still only neck and neck in the polling and if there was a GE, May would be long gone with a potential new-leader bounce.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #23490 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:24:13 pm »

But... Bananas.

It's yet another attempt to frame the referendum result to fit a particular political viewpoint. It wasn't a vote on Tory austerity or rejection of the neo-liberal economic policies of the EU- I don't remember seeing those on the ballot paper.

I don't remember seeing the word "brexit" on the ballot paper, but many voted against it.

But even then, should Labour be that concerned? As the article stated, many of these people don't generally vote anyway or had never voted before, whereas 65% of those declaring as Labour voters voted Remain. Why should the votes of those one-timers be worth more, either morally or politically, than those who are more active at the ballot box?

Why should they be worth less?

It glosses over those who voted Leave for total de-regulation free markets aboard the HMS Empire, but the author does not see their views as worthy, presumably due them being Tory scum.

Maybe it's because the author recognises tat those views were deliberately highlighted in order to frame the "brexit" argument.

And there is that persistent confidence that Labour would win a GE, but despite the Tories' implosion, they are still only neck and neck in the polling and if there was a GE, May would be long gone with a potential new-leader bounce.

No the persistent argument that we need a Labour government. At this rate,the tories could win the next election, simply by calling the whole thing off.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #23491 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:29:34 pm »
Boris is a pathological liar. Do you suppose the Tory party were unaware of this when they gave him free license to ruin the campaign.

Rees Mogg is a freak who was raised, by freaks, to believe his typical British aristocracy entitled him to powers that the EU denies him. And he's crying to nanny.

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #23492 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 09:47:55 pm »

I don't remember seeing the word "brexit" on the ballot paper, but many voted against it.

To clarify- Voted against Brexit or the concept of neo-liberal economics? Brexit was on the paper, as that is parlance for the Leave vote. Of course at that stage no-one bothered to define how it could really play out.

Labour are continuing to follow a Leave footing even though its voters didn't support it and still don't. We saw that at the conference. Brexit isn't over- it remains subject to further parliamentary action. Why are those views still not taken into consideration when formulating party policy? Just because a couple at the top are hardened Brexiters?

Boris is a pathological liar. Do you suppose the Tory party were unaware of this when they gave him free license to ruin the campaign.

Rees Mogg is a freak who was raised, by freaks, to believe his typical British aristocracy entitled him to powers that the EU denies him. And he's crying to nanny.

Don't forget Gove.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #23493 on: Sunday 9 December 2018, 11:10:41 pm »

To clarify- Voted against Brexit or the concept of neo-liberal economics? Brexit was on the paper, as that is parlance for the Leave vote. Of course at that stage no-one bothered to define how it could really play out.

Voted against "brexit". If you voted in favour of remaining I'd like to hear your reasons that are not purely driven by your perceptions of leaving

Labour are continuing to follow a Leave footing even though its voters didn't support it and still don't. We saw that at the conference. Brexit isn't over- it remains subject to further parliamentary action. Why are those views still not taken into consideration when formulating party policy? Just because a couple at the top are hardened Brexiters?

That shouldn't devalue anybody's vote.

Don't forget Gove.

Sadly I won't live to see a time when they're all forgotten.

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #23494 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 04:26:06 am »
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:lol::lol:
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline BottledDog

• General Member
« Reply #23495 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:27:08 am »
Though Europe sought our leadership, our recent leaders failed them. And us. Urging Cameron to assume Churchill's mantle, I showed him our polling which revealed that 61% of Brits craved their country to lead in Europe.

They wanted a PM with vision, playing beautiful, attacking continental football rather than always cowering defensively in the penalty box. Cameron shrugged.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexits-my-fault-how-the-word-i-invented-could-be-an-epitaph-for-the-nations-decline-11576816
"Newcastle is a strange club and I don't know what else you can say about them" - Ferguson.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #23496 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:48:59 am »
?s=20

Absolute farce if so.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #23497 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 11:58:51 am »
No deal

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #23498 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 12:05:48 pm »
The deal is being pulled off the table and now wont be put to parliament to vote on?

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #23499 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 12:06:21 pm »
"We want to leave the EU, but with a deal."

"Here's the deal, that's the best we're going to be offered."

"Don't like it."

Well you didn't actually want Brexit then, did you.