Poll

Access to other half's phone?

Yay
21 (25.9%)
Nay
60 (74.1%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Author Topic: Still not worthy of a thread - General Chat edition  (Read 1023657 times)

Super Duper Branko Strupar, Papavasiliou, Rocker, loki679 (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
Re: Still not worthy of a thread - General Chat edition
« Reply #23875 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:32:39 PM »
It's not necessarily even him donating. It's a charitable foundation which could have been anybody giving money to the Foundation who then gave the donations.

Obviously, its good that money was given to those who needed it. That does not mean it is a particularly virtuous or noteworthy act worthy of a high level of state recognition.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23876 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
Not sure why I'm sticking up for him, but he was knighted well before he was a billionaire.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #23877 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:48:16 PM »
worth 7bn, but have only donated 15m in 31 years.

But he donated £15m when he didn't have to donate anything. We've had this debate on here before I think. You cannot turn your nose up at someone donating £15m just because of how much they're actually worth. He didn't have to give anything at all.

A quick rough calculation compared to someone earning that UK average of approximately £31,000 per year, that's the equivalent of that individual donating £215 to charity, in total, over 31 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55643249

"The pair were knighted in 2000 for services to charity. By this point their foundation was thought to have donated about £40m to charity and medical research."

So the foundation gave £40m, not £15m. This was also by the year 2000, not 2020.

Not to be sniffed at.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #23878 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:50:43 PM »
Also, knighthoods are a load of s****
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Jackie Broon

• General Member
« Reply #23879 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 12:58:34 PM »
worth 7bn, but have only donated 15m in 31 years.

But he donated £15m when he didn't have to donate anything. We've had this debate on here before I think. You cannot turn your nose up at someone donating £15m just because of how much they're actually worth. He didn't have to give anything at all.

A quick rough calculation compared to someone earning that UK average of approximately £31,000 per year, that's the equivalent of that individual donating £215 to charity, in total, over 31 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55643249

"The pair were knighted in 2000 for services to charity. By this point their foundation was thought to have donated about £40m to charity and medical research."

So the foundation gave £40m, not £15m. This was also by the year 2000, not 2020.

Not to be sniffed at.

It is in comparison to their £7,000,000,000 wealth.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #23880 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
Their wealth. Exactly.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23881 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
That £40m was a much more significant part of their wealth back in 2000, probably close to 10% of their fortune. 

Of course, as soon as they'd been knighted, they stopped all charitable donations, became tax cheats and got filthy rich.

• General Member
« Reply #23882 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:42:25 PM »
Just used the figures from the Guardian article. Again their foundation is not the same as their pockets/accounts. Hate this Country's attitude towards the rich, massive amounts of cap doffing and hangover from the Class System.

Offline DMC

• General Member
« Reply #23883 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 01:42:30 PM »
That £40m was a much more significant part of their wealth back in 2000, probably close to 10% of their fortune. 

Of course, as soon as they'd been knighted, they stopped all charitable donations, became tax cheats and got filthy rich.
Living on a small Channel Island like feudal Lords suing anyone who annoyed them.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #23884 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:06:56 PM »
BBC News - Investigation after 'Nazi monkey' appears in Russian circus
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55646608

Offline Lazarus

• General Member
« Reply #23885 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:16:23 PM »
Also, knighthoods are a load of s****

Tell that to David Beckham  :lol:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #23886 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 02:20:34 PM »
The Barclay brothers are very dodgy characters especially when it comes to tax.

Offline Inferior Acuña

• General Member
« Reply #23887 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 03:11:52 PM »
It is to be sniffed at like.

The Barclay brothers are very dodgy characters especially when it comes to tax.

Aye.

Online Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #23888 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 03:24:55 PM »
Froggy with a Thatcher like view on wealth and personal property.
Articles, articles, articles, rather you remain unremarkable.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23889 on: Wednesday 13 January 2021, 03:43:45 PM »
I give a larger percentage of my wealth to charity than they do, and I make in a year what these people do in the blink of an eye.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #23890 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:47:59 AM »
:lol: Had a dream I was working at a club for ultra wealthy gentlemen, like old money hapsburg nosed f***ers. I went there to visit a friend who works at the place, but he was like "Cover for me." and f***ed off, so I just put on my best Jeeves face and tried to stall while he did whatever he was doing, the slow c***. Having to interact with these people...I swear this dream was five hours.

Old white guy was like "I've never seen you before... what's your name?" so I'm like, this is my friend's job, he's got a family, play the game. I clasped my white gloved hands, pasted on a submissive smile and said "Michael, sir."

"....Michael?" "Michael." :lol: Dude is like, while idly fiddling with some baccarat chips "I didn't know we let Negroes have real names. I thought your name would be Juniper or whatever your job was for the day. Richmond!" he called to some other dude "Did you know they're letting negroes have real names?" And I'm just f***ing standing there taking this like "This is my friend's gig. I can't murder anyone. Just be cool."

:lol: Genuinely slept worked a shift of s*** like that just now. I don't even feel like I've been to f***ing sleep.

:lol: edit: They didn't say negro.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23891 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:54:17 AM »
:lol:  Someone change Mike's username to Juniper.

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #23892 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:54:32 AM »
:lol: If real life America isn't enough for you, you decide to dream this s*** too.

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #23893 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
:lol:  Someone change Mike's username to Juniper.

:lol::lol:

• General Member
« Reply #23894 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:01:48 PM »
 :lol:

Like if Sam leaped into the same scenario in consecutive episodes.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #23895 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
:lol: c***s. I'm genuinely exhausted. All the brothers in every black and white photo are five seconds off your ass. That's what I learned last night. I could have planted my flag at the very peak of "I wish a motherfucker would" mountain.

Online Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #23896 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:05:45 PM »
so I just put on my best Jeeves face and tried to stall while he did whatever he was doing, the slow c***.

Mike's best Jeeves face:
https://youtu.be/DH75E3HE1I4?t=9

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #23897 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
:lol: c***s. I'm genuinely exhausted. All the brothers in every black and white photo are five seconds off your ass. That's what I learned last night. I could have planted my flag at the very peak of "I wish a motherfucker would" mountain.
It would make you sound like a local though. Juniper is a tiny village just outside Corbridge, very close to the site of the battle of Heaven field.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #23898 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:08:11 PM »
so I just put on my best Jeeves face and tried to stall while he did whatever he was doing, the slow c***.

Mike's best Jeeves face:
https://youtu.be/DH75E3HE1I4?t=9

:lol: :lol: :lol:

f*** you, I knocked the Jonathan Cecil voice out the park.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #23899 on: Thursday 14 January 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
Froggy with a Thatcher like view on wealth and personal property.

Not really. I think if people legitimately build their own fortune they can do with it as they please. I think it's mad that people are giving off that they only gave away £40m of their fortune to charitable causes. Just because you get to a certain amount of wealth doesn't mean you have to give it away.

Obviously if a billionaire gives nothing to charity it can say a lot about them a person, but to chastise someone for giving away forty million pounds of their own money in the year 2000? That's ridiculously entitled and quite incredible in my eyes.