Poll

Is Ponztex® an obvious ponzi scheme?

Yes
21 (91.3%)
No
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Still not worthy of a thread - General Chat edition  (Read 591206 times)

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
Re: Still not worthy of a thread - General Chat edition
« Reply #16750 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:39:16 pm »
:lol: Actually drums are a minefield aye, I layer them now which seems to work quite well but that's not even the half of it as I definitely need to devote more time to studying drum patterns and stuff.  Also getting a bit more variety in there over the course of a track.  Like I say it's the best and the worst thing about it, feeling like you've got lots to learn in a million different areas :thup:

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #16751 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:47:35 pm »
f***ing hell, you really are THE npw like. :lol:
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #16752 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:49:24 pm »
Tellin' yer man, it's a f***ing joke.  Not been on the forum for ages but the c*** never forgets.

Online POOT

• General Member
  • Don't do yersel. It's a dig.
« Reply #16753 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:49:33 pm »
*snip long post that nobody want to read* :lol:

Edit: f*** it...it's back in. Waffling with like minded electronic music makers is good for the soul.

Ah, no no no..."wrong" is not the word to think of.  To put it bluntly..."write a tune that makes you feel content". The rest is just technique. Sort of..."I like this, but that sound could be a bit bigger"...go off and chase that technique.

To be honest...f*** music theory (structure, not EQ). If it sounds good it is good. If it flows like intended...f*** the theory :lol: Rules are what makes music bland and writing from your heart makes for a diary entry at worst.

Unless you really want more of a guarantee others will love your stuff...then theory away :)

I still battle with a lot of EQ techniques in the final mix. Can't decide on one bass tone or another, if I like that frequency or the other etc. Hence finally building up my place to be acoustically sound. And I'm only doing it for a bit of a break these days (currently writing a drumstep/rap with my little girls :lol: :aww: ). Will never be heard outside of our fam :lol: but it's cool. Getting some tight-assed basses now thanks to the various things I've bought, recently.
*end unsnip*

By narrow I just meant in one place in the stereo field. Your tunes need some dynamic/organic movement (IMHO)...it would suit the style. Be that reverb, delays, stereo positioning etc. I personally wouldn't use a plugin for that until you grasp the basics of mixing it using the basic effects and pans.

Bottom line is...you're awesome for publishing your stuff. Massive hats off for that alone. And I like it. Keep just making tunes and learning techniques. f*** music theory...music's a personal thing that comes from the musician.
« Last Edit: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:09:18 pm by POOT »
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16754 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:50:51 pm »
It's a never ending journey like. There are some EDM producers that spend years just working on perfecting kick drums and kick drums alone. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :snod: :lol: :lol:

Over 20 years, mate. I think I've finally got it :lol: Bit late :lol:

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #16755 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:52:51 pm »
Aha OK cheers, I'll stick that on me list then :lol:

And on putting the tracks out it's just the best way to complete something and move on, and sometimes handy for feedback as well.  Also it's class for me to track how I've improved really, the first couple of tracks sound terrible to me now but some of the recent ones are decent.  Will plug away with it like, it's a great solo hobby which suits me down to the ground these days :lol:

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #16756 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:54:28 pm »
How much does it cost to get into? I’ve tried a couple times when younger but gave in but it’s a great hobby like.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16757 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 05:56:27 pm »
I guess it can be free if you already have a pc, monitors or headphones.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16758 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:06:34 pm »
When I get this place sorted and finally mix down some stuff (inc old stuff), I might upload stuff to Soundcloud. Just for the lolz.

IP inspired :thup:

I can always delete if I get too much s*** :lol:

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #16759 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:07:00 pm »
How much does it cost to get into? I’ve tried a couple times when younger but gave in but it’s a great hobby like.

It's free if you're willing to be a filthy pirate.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #16760 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:09:09 pm »

And on putting the tracks out it's just the best way to complete something and move on, and sometimes handy for feedback as well.  Also it's class for me to track how I've improved really, the first couple of tracks sound terrible to me now but some of the recent ones are decent.  Will plug away with it like, it's a great solo hobby which suits me down to the ground these days :lol:

You've definitely got the right idea with just getting stuff out and moving onto something else like. I've still got unfinished stuff from 2005 because I got too precious about it, it's pointless.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #16761 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:12:01 pm »

Due to having absolutely no morals I am willing.

Going to bookmark this page for when I get a new laptop. I’m inspired.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16762 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:12:26 pm »

You've definitely got the right idea with just getting stuff out and moving onto something else like. I've still got unfinished stuff from 2005 because I got too precious about it, it's pointless.

Yup, because as great as solo stuff is...it becomes a personal diary, IMHO. I suffer the precious thing massively, too :thup: I'm gonna do what IP has and upload some stuff early next year. Even stuff from the late 90s :lol: You should, too.

Maybe we'll have a track swap and do some remixes of each others stuff, later down the line. Remixing other's work is so so refreshing and relaxing. 

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #16763 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:33:44 pm »

Due to having absolutely no morals I am willing.

Going to bookmark this page for when I get a new laptop. I’m inspired.

Make sure you get a decent laptop with an SSD hard drive etc.  Look into that properly as it'll need to be fast enough to run stuff.

You can get a free licence for Ableton Live Lite with some midi controllers / sound cards, I think I actually have a spare key somewhere so if you want it then gimme a shout and I'll try to dig it out from wherever it is. 

Other than that you'll need headphones/speakers like POOT says.  And a sound card as well.  That's it really, you can buy as much or as little as you like beyond that in terms of both hardware and software.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #16764 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:34:51 pm »
Its legs!!! :spit:

:lol: like he’s just been waiting for them to come home all these years

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16765 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
That's it really, you can buy as much or as little as you like beyond that in terms of both hardware and software.

I used to have a room full of analogue synths that were classics then and now fetch unreal money. So lush and beat anything digitised*...but...not enough to justify getting on that drug again. More than happy in the virtual world. Endless possibilities.

*To quantify...the waveforms have soul. It's a thing of beauty.

But like I say...not enough to justify the price anymore. Virtual stuff is still lush, and a good loop is a good loop...whatever the synth.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16766 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 06:51:37 pm »
Also, do we really need a soundcard these days? A good DAC from a modern motherboard is unbeatable, really. Onboard sound these days has all but put to bed the soundcards of old. Really high quality. Unless you're after inputs. Then a Focusrite Scarlett (or something) is an affordable way.

Suppose if your motherboard hasn't got decent onboard as stock then, yeh...it's a must.

I'm currently just running an optical out to my DAC, then off to my nearfields. Simple chain. But I no longer need midi etc as I'm all virtual...so that might explain no need for an io/soundcard. But even usb can do midi :dontknow:

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #16767 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 07:05:07 pm »

About to crack open the can of Red Stripe in his left hand

Consider winning

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #16768 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 07:10:48 pm »
Also, do we really need a soundcard these days? A good DAC from a modern motherboard is unbeatable, really. Onboard sound these days has all but put to bed the soundcards of old. Really high quality. Unless you're after inputs. Then a Focusrite Scarlett (or something) is an affordable way.

Suppose if your motherboard hasn't got decent onboard as stock then, yeh...it's a must.

I'm currently just running an optical out to my DAC, then off to my nearfields. Simple chain. But I no longer need midi etc as I'm all virtual...so that might explain no need for an io/soundcard. But even usb can do midi :dontknow:

Absolutely nee idea what most of that means like :lol:

I've got a Scarlet Solo, does the job and wasn't too dear. Some other things I've bought have made the experience much better - speakers, second screen, external ssd - but I was fine before that just doing it on my laptop with some decent headphones and a soundcard. So that's all that's felt properly necessary for me anyway. Well I guess you'd maybe need/want a desk of some sort as well.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16769 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 07:35:24 pm »
Sorry :lol:

But you have the Scarlett (I mentioned) so you kinda do ;)

DAC is a Digital Audio Convertor. Very important part of the chain. But most decent motherboards (in your PC or Laptop) have really good DACs. Plus your Scarlett is technically a DAC as it's a good quality interface.

IO is Inputs/Outputs.

I smashed my second monitor when moving my brand new nearfield monitors (a month or so ago) :weep: :weep: :weep: On one hand I had joy of decent speakers...on the other the loss of a screen.

Still gutted :lol: But I'm mostly doing video editing so I'm about to plunge into the new monitor world anyways...but it sucks being on 1 monitor at the moment. Particularly as I've had 2 for as long as I can remember.

BTW...Skrillex (love him or hate him) does a load of his stuff on just his lappy and headphones. Not always does he master in a studio, either. I mention him as, whatever you think of his tunes, his EQ/Mastering is insanely good.

Online wormy

• General Member
« Reply #16770 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 07:58:51 pm »

About to crack open the can of Red Stripe in his left hand

:lol: Holding a can of lager FFS.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #16771 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 08:16:29 pm »

Oh cool now I can't stop coughing.

Probably all that Monster you're drinking now.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #16772 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:01:32 pm »
Sorry :lol:

But you have the Scarlett (I mentioned) so you kinda do ;)

DAC is a Digital Audio Convertor. Very important part of the chain. But most decent motherboards (in your PC or Laptop) have really good DACs. Plus your Scarlett is technically a DAC as it's a good quality interface.

IO is Inputs/Outputs.

I smashed my second monitor when moving my brand new nearfield monitors (a month or so ago) :weep: :weep: :weep: On one hand I had joy of decent speakers...on the other the loss of a screen.

Still gutted :lol: But I'm mostly doing video editing so I'm about to plunge into the new monitor world anyways...but it sucks being on 1 monitor at the moment. Particularly as I've had 2 for as long as I can remember.

BTW...Skrillex (love him or hate him) does a load of his stuff on just his lappy and headphones. Not always does he master in a studio, either. I mention him as, whatever you think of his tunes, his EQ/Mastering is insanely good.

Ah right I see. I don't think the soundcard on my laptop is much cop like so I initially bought a DAC (a Fiio e10k) but I had nowt but problems with it and bought the Scarlet instead. Still have that DAC in the cupboard somewhere.

Having a big-ish screen makes a big difference on Ableton like, far less minimising and f***ing on. Only cost about 90 quid as well and it's canny.

Re the headphones thing, it was mainly ear fatigue that got me to buy speakers in the end as I found I could only really do an hour or 2 at a time before my ears were knacking, so speakers are better in that respect.

I'm considering moving to Asia some time next year so f*** knows how much of this gear I'll end up actually sending over there like :lol:

Next purchase is probably an Ableton Push like but they're canny dear so will wait a bit first.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16773 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 09:09:09 pm »
Second hand market seems good value, though (for that Push) :thup:

As for s*** DACs...yep. My SMSL M3 is in the cupboard as it was s***, despite respected reviewers giving it the thumbs up. It's ok as an exclusive headphone amp...but not good enough for line outs as the whole thing hummed.

Now got Schiit Audio stuff and I'm in a good place.

I create on headphones (to spare the world the pain of hearing several hours of a 4 bar loop :lol: ) but mix and play on speakers. Pretty much for fatigue reasons, also.

Online POOT

• General Member
« Reply #16774 on: Saturday 8 December 2018, 12:22:56 am »
f***ing Google have removed the choice of using the old UI now. Stuck with the new 2005 lozenge style s**** :huff: