Author Topic: The Athletics Thread  (Read 18269 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: The Athletics Thread
« Reply #625 on: Saturday 12 October 2019, 10:50:09 PM »
Farah dropping the race card today and won't criticise Salazar still.  Lost almost all respect for him recently.

Online Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #626 on: Saturday 12 October 2019, 10:58:20 PM »
Farah was nothing amazing before working with Salazaar from what I’ve read. His career has always looked odd to me, with massive improvement coming in his late 20s. That could just be me doing a racism though.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #627 on: Saturday 12 October 2019, 11:16:40 PM »
I told you all this years ago tbf
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

« Reply #628 on: Saturday 12 October 2019, 11:33:54 PM »

Mental :lol:

:lol: That's f***ing insane. I can do 10k in 50 minutes, which is 12kmh. He's running twice that speed for 120 minutes.

EDIT: Actually, that guy said Kipchoge had to run 15.1mph, which is 24kph. Which would be 48km in 2 hours, and a marathon is 42.2km. So he ran 21kph, which is 13mph... Still... :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 12 October 2019, 11:48:31 PM by Super Duper Branko Strupar »
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #629 on: Saturday 12 October 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
I do wonder how fast I could possibly run 1 km, 2:51 might be possible but to do that for 42km thats simply insane.

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
« Reply #630 on: Sunday 13 October 2019, 12:07:06 AM »
Farah is an interesting character, I don't think he helps himself by being so pugnacious with the press, and there's no doubt he only became an elite athlete at the world level after he joined Salazar and the Oregon Project. His best times over the 5000 and 10,000 metres both came in 2011, the year he joined Salazar. But the year before he'd already broken the British record over 5000 metres with a time of 12:57.94. By contrast his best time ever over the distance was only four seconds quicker, and every major gold medal he won over the distance came at a slower pace.

By the time he joined Salazar he was already a double European champion over the 5000 and 10,000 metres. He also spent much of his early career focusing on the cross country and 3000 metres as much as the 5000 metres, only making the step up to the 10,000 metres in his late twenties. That sort of progression isn't unusual for long distance runners, nor is it unusual for distance runners to get stronger as they age. The point being that Farah was already making real strides before he joined Salazar, and the times were already there or thereabouts, though no doubt it was under Salazar that he gained that consistency in the finish and that competitive edge.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #631 on: Monday 25 November 2019, 07:31:57 PM »
Russia gonna get done for doping again.