Author Topic: The England Thread  (Read 344410 times)

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
Re: Croatia 2-1 England - 11/07/18 (AET)
« Reply #13975 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:14:02 pm »
:lol: aye I remember that

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #13976 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:18:22 pm »
"Consider winning" is so funny man :lol:

It's up there with "Down with this sort of thing" IMO :lol:
That's the way it is.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #13977 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:19:09 pm »
Jotenko was alright man, played him on PES once. He was sound
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #13978 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:20:19 pm »
Loved Jotenko. Bit OTT at times, but when he was on point, he was on point :lol:
That's the way it is.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #13979 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:21:31 pm »
Can't stop sniggering over consider winning. :lol:
You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
We ourselves are responsible for our own happiness and misery. We create our own Heaven. We create our own Hell. We are the architects of our own fate.
Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others."
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others.
This is what should be done. By one who is skilled in goodness, and who knows the path of peace: Let them be able and upright, straightforward and gentle in speech. Humble and not conceited, contented and easily satisfied. Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways. Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful, not proud and demanding in nature. Let them not do the slightest thing that the wise would later reprove.

Online Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #13980 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:25:32 pm »
It's one of the few things from on here that I've brought up irl like. It's proper funny.
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline Carlito

• General Member
« Reply #13981 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 10:58:28 pm »
Even if it wasn't sung tongue in cheek... Did I miss the meeting that decided football songs have to be based in 100% fact? ???

What has pleased me with our own fans and media has been the lack of hyperbole one way or another. My mate the other day said he was disappointed by the reaction after beating Sweden, he thought a bigger song and dance should have been made about it. I was quite happy it was kind of low key. The manager and players especially have been very professional and humble which I think the nation and media have fed off.

When the dust has settled though, I do fear the media stoking the flames of expectations to heights that are simply not compatible with the New England if you like and hope it doesn’t derail any progress. That said, if you want to be champions, you have to deal with pressure, criticism and expectations.

We can all accept thought that England teams, managers and players of the past leading up to a major tournament have been unfairly compromised by outside expectations, pressure and criticism which like penalty shoot outs and the Germans weighted us down massively.

Hopefully what seems like a fresh start and a common understanding and bond can continue. I think for fans, everyone has had enough of the old England and really taken to Southgate and the players like NUFC fans have with Rafa and our lot, accepting that it’s more about having a team that tries and that we can be proud of.

I think there are mistakes we absolutely have to acknowledge and learn from if we want to become serious contenders, in spite of us exceeding all expectations this year. This tournament could be a valuable learning experience for this team. We still need to develop that winning mentality and learn how to be ruthless and put games to bed. It's the same problem that has haunted us for decades.

We can definitely be proud of a young England side reaching the World Cup semi-final as they've given us a few gems that we'll never forget. The record win, the penalty shoot-out win, Kane potentially taking the Golden Boot are all things we can look back on with pride. As it has been said there's a renewed passion and enthusiasm towards international football again that I think has been missing for a long time, definitely for me personally. There's a sense of pride in the England team again, and maybe from this point on there will be less of a collective groan when an international break rolls around. However this World Cup will ultimately go down as a major opportunity missed because Croatia were absolutely there for the taking in that first half.

One of the alarming factors of our run in the tournament has been wasting priceless chances in the first half before sitting back, inviting pressure in the second, and allowing the opposition back into the game. Strike 1 was Tunisia, and strike 2 was Colombia. Strike 3 has sent us packing with a bit of a whimper. Croatia had winners in their squad, they had more experience and were able to put us under pressure by implementing more width and not being afraid to press forward, but they could and should have been out of the running by this point. This is where Southgate has to also take a few things on board in my opinion, because we had no reply when we were under heavy pressure. No plan B, right down to the substitutions. It was 3-5-2, Sterling and Lingard starting, Dier comes on at 80 minutes, or bust. It felt a little formulaic at times and started to feel like places weren't being awarded on merit. Maybe it sounds harsh of me to say but I don't think Lingard and Sterling offered enough to justify starting every single game. The high-pressure games were crying out for the likes of Vardy and Loftus-Cheek to be introduced (Vardy sooner than he was as he made a big difference against Colombia with his work rate and ability to create chances). Loftus-Cheek offered a good physical presence in the time he was given and it could have worked in our favor when the going got tough.

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #13982 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 11:07:53 pm »
Was Perisic's goal a shot or a finish, btw?

Either way it should have been disallowed. Far too casual of a finish for me.

t***s like you are thinking that you're embarrassing me with this 'casual' s***. (and it truly is a s*** joke perpetuated by sados .)

But you're not embarrassing me in the least :lol:. I actually take pleasure from it because it reminds me that weak s***s like you wouldn't actually dare to do that to someone's face constantly.

Yeah, Perez's touch was casual, it was bit lucky that it went in. (But you stick to your comfort and conformity zone and I'll post what I like)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll be reporting this to the police tomorrow morning.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • This house is bitchin.
« Reply #13983 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 11:35:20 pm »

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #13984 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 11:49:11 pm »
Pickford shouting at Mandzukic "get up you f***ing t***" while he was on the ground clearly actually hurt a few minutes before Mandzukic scored the winner is hilarious
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #13985 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 11:51:31 pm »
Not really.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #13986 on: Thursday 12 July 2018, 11:55:11 pm »

:aww:

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #13987 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 12:02:07 am »
Rewatched those clips of Southgate coming back out to the fans well after the final whistle too many times. :aww:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #13988 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 01:20:49 am »
The ITV coverage of the Croatia - Russia game spoke a lot about Croats being tired.

Bilic was there and he probably felt an air of arrogance. Knowing the Croatian players attitudes it would motivate them.

And then In the other Semi the Beeb presenters spoke a lot about fading France and had to remind themselves they had a game against Croatia to play. 

That speaks to our weakness as a nation. Thinking about wining a final rather than the next game. It’s no wonder it seems like the England players played the occasion.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • get f***ing set
« Reply #13989 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 01:26:09 am »
"the opponents might be tired"
ARROGANT f***s

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • get f***ing set
« Reply #13990 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 01:26:28 am »
ps if it wasnt clear your post is utter f***ing s***

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #13991 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 01:27:40 am »
:lol:

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #13992 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 07:28:29 am »
Was posted at 20 past 1 tbf. Might have been a bit tired.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #13993 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 08:11:38 am »
Can't wait to see Mbappe rip Croatia to shreds on Sunday.

hopefully sets griezemann up for a hattrick
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Cronky

• General Member
« Reply #13994 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 08:39:45 am »
Him and that rat at right back were absolutely rank. I f***ing hate Lovren, he's a slapstick defender.

He’s been chipping in too.

Painful but true. We reverted to type.

Not exactly gracious in victory though.
People generalise too much.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13995 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 08:46:10 am »
Despite speaking utter s**** (I assumed purposefully) for like 90% of his posts Jotenko would come out with some gold every so often. Is the gif still around?
The gif of him celebrating to the camera was amazing. Tried a search for it but couldn't find it.  Found this though

• General Member
« Reply #13996 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 10:00:22 am »
"the opponents might be tired"
ARROGANT f***s

It wasn't just that. First it was Croatians will be tired, then they even started talking about where the open top bus parades will be.

Yes, it's mostly a joke but it tells you something about where our minds are.

I don't think the Croatians would be doing that.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #13997 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 10:14:51 am »
Based on absolutely nothing.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

• General Member
« Reply #13998 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 11:22:37 am »
Based on absolutely nothing.

Based on them taking what was said, to heart.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #13999 on: Friday 13 July 2018, 11:24:07 am »
Croatian dressing room glued to ITV.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.