Author Topic: The England Thread  (Read 417947 times)

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
Re: The England Thread
« Reply #14850 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 11:42:31 AM »
When he came to everyone’s attention (MK Dons v Man Utd) didn’t he play as a box to box midfielder?

I think so. In League 1 or whatever his passing is fine. It's mostly going over his head anyway. Coming deeper would allow for his runs to not get picked up more. But as he's stepped up, his movement is still brilliant but some of the other aspects of CM play has been exposed imo. But he's young.

FWIW I don't think Gerrard was a brilliant CM (in a 2) either. Sure he could influence the game more from deep but he was at his best under Rafa. In a 4, or in what was close to a free role. When he was deep later he wasn't as good as what was made out imo

Offline mozy

• General Member
« Reply #14851 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 12:15:50 PM »
Asking anyone to 'do a job' is the kind of backwards logic that ended up with Paul Scholes playing on the left wing. Pick players in roles they are suited to in a system that's design to get the best out of the collective group. Not bloody shoehorning. Thankfully Southgate seems to adopt the former approach.

Offline Boo Boy

• General Member
  • Boom!
« Reply #14852 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
Asking anyone to 'do a job' is the kind of backwards logic that ended up with Paul Scholes playing on the left wing. Pick players in roles they are suited to in a system that's design to get the best out of the collective group. Not bloody shoehorning. Thankfully Southgate seems to adopt the former approach.

I agree with that. Southgate is doing a much better job than I thought he would do.
follow my patter on Twitter @BooBoy_1

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #14853 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 02:06:50 PM »

Yep.

No idea why some English fans are obsessed with cramming our all 'best' players together without any rhyme or thought put into it. I'm glad Southgate doesn't see it that way, if Alli can't improve to the point ( likelihood says no) where he can play deeper to a quality standard there's no point forcing him in.

What we have right now is fine, we just need to develop better midfield talents who can actually play there. Easier said than done of course but we don't need to be forcing players who are better elsewhere just because he's supposedly more talented.

Offline Cookie1892

• General Member
« Reply #14854 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
that foden lad who plays for Man City is going to be a cracking midfielder

Offline Mole_Toonfan

• General Member
« Reply #14855 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 02:15:41 PM »

Agree, he needs to play though. Would like him to follow Sancho's lead and get some game time.

Offline Cookie1892

• General Member
« Reply #14856 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 02:20:34 PM »

Agree, he needs to play though. Would like him to follow Sancho's lead and get some game time.

needs to come here on loan... hahaha ;D ;D ;D

firetotheworks

« Reply #14857 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 02:25:51 PM »

More excited about him than any of the others, he could be seriously special like. It's mad how the landscape of English football has changed overnight purely because Southgate's showing them a route through, he deserves so much credit for that.

• General Member
« Reply #14858 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 04:15:43 PM »

More excited about him than any of the others, he could be seriously special like. It's mad how the landscape of English football has changed overnight purely because Southgate's showing them a route through, he deserves so much credit for that.

Mostly the work done at grassroots though no? What's Southgate got to do with Sancho and Foden?

These lads need first-team football though. Lookman needs to leave Everton imo.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #14859 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 04:18:26 PM »

Now I get this. Totally get it but I just think even as the deepest of a midfield three, Alli would offer more than Eric Dier. It's not completely shoehorning. It'll be a test for him. Unless he's willing to adapt to the team and learn the position, I wouldn't want him in the team. Even coming off the bench, what would he offer? Where would he play? We'd have to set the entire team around him even then. Would rather he learn the DM position rather than be used as a number 10 in a team where we have Kane, Rashford and Sterling who can play it better. Also Foden in the future.

In the summer, he played at the top of the midfield three and tbh, I barely saw him. We all kept saying he looked unfit. Aside from his goal vs Sweeden, he barely did a thing. He just ran around trying to get involved.

• General Member
« Reply #14860 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
So you're saying as the deepest in a midfield 3...... he's better than Dier? Maybe Poch should try that out.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #14861 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
No because in the Spurs team, he has the ability to score and assist in advanced areas. They also play different. I'm not even sure Dier plays every game in that team. Honestly not sure Dier's a first team player. Thought he was more of a utility player like Phil Jones tbh. He plays as a CB, DM, anywhere in the back four or deep midfield. If Spurs signed a better advanced player than Alli, it'd make for an interesting experiment. Honestly don't think they should yet. He's got a special place in that Spurs team and it works for him.

Also I think Dier's good. He surprises me. But I have him down as the clogger type. Would like to see us have a more expansive style. If it's Dier's in that deep role, I can't see him having the same reaction time Alli would.

Spurs fans will know better. Hopefully @leffe186 can weigh in on this. Has Alli played deeper for Spurs? Do you think he could cut it there? What is Dier's place in the squad?

firetotheworks

« Reply #14862 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 05:16:13 PM »

Mostly the work done at grassroots though no? What's Southgate got to do with Sancho and Foden?

These lads need first-team football though. Lookman needs to leave Everton imo.

The bit in bold already explained.

• General Member
« Reply #14863 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
Foden has decided to sit on City’s bench cos Southgate has shown him the route into the team. 

Eric dier has played has started 13 out of 16 league games.  All in midfield. I’ll say he’s never convinced me Dier. On their best days, I’d have Diame.

firetotheworks

« Reply #14864 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 06:07:03 PM »
Foden has decided to sit on City’s bench cos Southgate has shown him the route into the team. 

?

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #14865 on: Wednesday 12 December 2018, 09:33:30 PM »

Online 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #14866 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:45:21 PM »

Offline Disco

« Reply #14867 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:47:00 PM »
Be class if he never played a la Grealish.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #14868 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
c***
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #14869 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:52:09 PM »
not in the slightest bit surprised and just wished it hadn't dragged out for 6 months

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #14870 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
Get the pitchforks.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #14871 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
Great choice
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #14872 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 05:01:10 PM »
O’Neil being a spikey prick probably cost us Grealish and now Rice. They should’ve been tied up ages ago.

Offline Tribesman

• General Member
« Reply #14873 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 05:35:36 PM »
He should have made his mind years ago instead of stealing caps from other players especially when playing for the under 21s.

Enjoy Brexit you c***.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #14874 on: Wednesday 13 February 2019, 07:38:35 PM »
Grealish and Rice would have been a cool Irish midfield
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez