Author Topic: The wonderful work of David Squires  (Read 185198 times)

Offline Stottie

• General Member
  • Aal these sheep and you've got nae bacon!
Re: The wonderful work of David Squires
« Reply #2000 on: Thursday 23 April 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
I suppose it is anti-Semitic to point out that despite all of the things mentioned in the cartoon, Israel is increasingly cosying up to Saudi Arabia.

Should the things mentioned in the cartoon change the way we look upon Israel, or only the way we look upon Newcastle United Football Club?

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • I'm just here to dunk on my country
« Reply #2001 on: Thursday 23 April 2020, 05:27:44 PM »
I don't take my geopolitical cues from a cartoon tbh

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2003 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 01:23:12 PM »
The sarcastic ballboy on Zoom :lol: :lol:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline HawK

• General Member
« Reply #2004 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert.

Switched off from these, made the mistake of clicking the link for the latest one. '...forget that Christian Pulisic even existed'. Really? The most talented American kid of the past 20 years, possibly of all time, who signed for Chelsea. Closed tab at that point. Who does he think his audience is, exactly?

Maybe Squires forgot he existed whilst trying to balance the political direction of the newspaper with football whilst dealing with the inconvenient truth that the wealth that built the company that pays him was largely generated from the backs of cotton pickers. I'm sure some of the frames are comedic in isolation, but after he burst onto the scene with a very authentic, purely football-driven approach (which was pretty much universally heralded), it quickly seemed to become yet another propaganda vehicle for the newspaper's larger agenda with football being the setting, rather than the subject.

Offline bhoywhonder

• General Member
« Reply #2005 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, it's a fact. David Squires has forgot to be funny. It happened a long time ago.
Newcastle é conhecido por ser o paraíso das skanks no UK

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #2006 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:06:10 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert.

Switched off from these, made the mistake of clicking the link for the latest one. '...forget that Christian Pulisic even existed'. Really? The most talented American kid of the past 20 years, possibly of all time, who signed for Chelsea. Closed tab at that point. Who does he think his audience is, exactly?

Maybe Squires forgot he existed whilst trying to balance the political direction of the newspaper with football whilst dealing with the inconvenient truth that the wealth that built the company that pays him was largely generated from the backs of cotton pickers. I'm sure some of the frames are comedic in isolation, but after he burst onto the scene with a very authentic, purely football-driven approach (which was pretty much universally heralded), it quickly seemed to become yet another propaganda vehicle for the newspaper's larger agenda with football being the setting, rather than the subject.

Thank you for taking on the outrage among us forum Yanks

Online bowlingcrofty

• General Member
  • "Croft - steaming in once more"
« Reply #2007 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:07:40 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert.

Tbh I'd completely forgotten he existed like
The View from the ShiteSeats: http://www.shiteseats.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/shiteseats
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/shiteseats

It's where we were when we were s***...

Offline HawK

• General Member
« Reply #2008 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:19:50 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert.

@Ameritoon , tbh I never even thought of it that way, though now you point it out, it does seem like an angry American has written it :lol:. I had just found it hard to fathom that most people who follow the Premier League would forget about him, then @bowlingcrofty turns up and disproves my entire rant-driven point :lol:

Offline kisearch

• General Member
« Reply #2009 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:41:13 PM »
I think I said this last time, but David Squires has always been political like. Just off the top of my head, the Dead Flag Blues and Poppygate ones came right at the start of his time at the Guardian. I've no idea why he's viewed as having become more political, but it could be because he's (imo) been a bit more inconsistent with how funny his comics are because he nearly always leans on the same sort of jokes and cultural references every time. 

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #2010 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert.

EaglE more like.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #2012 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Jewell's face from his photo  :lol:

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #2013 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 05:57:46 PM »
Rafa's face as a beachball :lol:

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #2014 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 06:01:56 PM »
Jewell's face from his photo  :lol:
That's that shagging picture isn't it ? :lol:
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #2015 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 06:04:13 PM »
Yep  :lol:

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • CAROL!
« Reply #2016 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Rafa as Charlie Kelly? Perfect!

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2017 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 06:11:25 PM »
"Ye Gods, when will this foul jinx end?" :lol:
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Disco

• Newcastle
« Reply #2018 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
Best for a while that.

Rafa as Charlie Kelly? Perfect!

Tempted as new avi.

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • CAROL!
« Reply #2019 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 07:46:33 PM »