Author Topic: The Apple Thread  (Read 106648 times)

Offline Anderson

• General Member
Re: The Apple Thread
« Reply #6375 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
then made the mistake of not getting the Rose Gold version.

Wot

Offline Shadow Puppets

• General Member
« Reply #6376 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
I'm still on the 8 plus. In need of an upgrade, but truthfully I f***ing hate FaceID... the function of it and the ickiness of it. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Might get a 12 and just leave it unlocked 😁... barely leave the house anyway 😁

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6377 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
I'm still on the 8 plus. In need of an upgrade, but truthfully I f***ing hate FaceID... the function of it and the ickiness of it. It just doesn't sit right with me.

It's also useless with a mask on. :lol:

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #6378 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 12:28:19 PM »

It's also useless with a mask on. :lol:
Add an extra face where you are wearing a mask.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6379 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 01:19:40 PM »
You can just use a pin like

Offline Shadow Puppets

• General Member
« Reply #6380 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 02:23:50 PM »
I tell you what mind, if I get an iPhone 12 and then immediately get Covid... f***ing 5G TOWERSZZZ M8!!!  :lol:

Offline MiggysFirstGoal

• General Member
« Reply #6381 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 03:47:04 PM »
Anybody had any experience with Apple’s trade in deal? Looking at trading in my iPhone 11 for one of the new ones. Just want to know if you need to send your old phone off before you receive your new one. Can’t really be without a phone for a long period of time.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6382 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 05:10:14 PM »
Anybody had any experience with Apple’s trade in deal? Looking at trading in my iPhone 11 for one of the new ones. Just want to know if you need to send your old phone off before you receive your new one. Can’t really be without a phone for a long period of time.
If you collect in store you have to trade in there and then. If you get it delivered then you get 2 weeks to send your phone off with prepaid packaging provided. Their trade in prices are about the same as you’d get with the likes of CEX, I think the likes of CEX use the trade in prices from Apple as their marker.
Apparently with Apple you don’t need to send in your cable or charger. You are also much pretty certain that it’s going to be destroyed.

Offline InspectorCoarse

• " What i don't understand is this " ...
« Reply #6383 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 05:14:21 PM »
Sell on ebay get yr £££ worth

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6384 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 05:35:07 PM »
Sell on ebay get yr £££ worth
Heard far too many horror stories of people being scammed by PayPal via eBay when selling phones.
The same with Facebook marketplace. Far too many dickheads out to buy a cheap 2nd hand phone and trying to rip you off. I couldn’t be arsed with dealing with those people, especially when they inevitably break the phone or have an phone that is broken and try to say you’re the one who scammed them. In my opinion it’s far easier to just sell it to CEX and let them deal with it, or if buying through Apple, let them take it and dismantle it.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #6385 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 08:27:10 PM »
I upgrade every year because I'm one of those people. Then when I got my new one I let my nephews and nieces fight over who gets my old one.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline Shadow Puppets

• General Member
« Reply #6386 on: Tuesday 20 October 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
Any of you guys got the iPhone 11 or 11 Pro? Any thoughts on each of them? Looking to upgrade from my 8plus, but don’t fancy the 12 (don’t have any need for 5g or fancy magnet cases). So thinking to go from one of last years models.

Online CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #6387 on: Tuesday 20 October 2020, 11:35:39 PM »
I got the 11 last month after my X was knackered and I’m impressed with the difference it made. Probably should’ve held out for the 12 but I had no option.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #6388 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
Hello-

I was thinking to upgrade to the 12 ive just reduced my contract down to 18 pound a month for everything on three and know someone who works for apple so will get 17% off the outright price

I never have had a max size phone before is it worth getting this? I watch a lot of movies on trains etc but worried it might be too big

Do you need a case with the 12s with the non breakable glass ?

Can someone explain mag safe and why it’s good? I have a wireless charger already

Thanks
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6389 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
Looks like my 10 year old iMac has just died ffs.

Tried holding CMD ALT P R down and it gets stuck in the boot up loop.

Hoping I can maybe replace just the drive and from my iPhone restore my 7000 songs which is all I use it for apart from some casual browsing and Zoom chats.

Did you get this fixed? :shifty:

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #6390 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
Looks like my 10 year old iMac has just died ffs.

Tried holding CMD ALT P R down and it gets stuck in the boot up loop.

Hoping I can maybe replace just the drive and from my iPhone restore my 7000 songs which is all I use it for apart from some casual browsing and Zoom chats.

Did you get this fixed? :shifty:

So far so good :thup: Prove in the pudding when I buy my next CD :lol:

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6391 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 02:19:17 PM »
Hello-

I was thinking to upgrade to the 12 ive just reduced my contract down to 18 pound a month for everything on three and know someone who works for apple so will get 17% off the outright price

I never have had a max size phone before is it worth getting this? I watch a lot of movies on trains etc but worried it might be too big

Can someone explain mag safe and why it’s good? I have a wireless charger already

Thanks
Are you going for the 12Pro Max?
It will be quite a size, and offers only slight camera improvements on the 12Pro.
To put into perspective, the upcoming 12 mini will be roughly the same size as the 6, 7, and 8 models.
Myself I think the 12Pro Max would be too big for myself, you would certainly need deep pockets.

As for a case. That is up to you. Most people prefer cases and there are plenty of different options out there from heavy duty cases, to basic back and side protection, to flip cases.
I don’t use a case, I have tried too, but I just don’t like them really.

As for MagSafe, it serves multiple purposes. One of which is wireless charging which can charge at double the rate of QI chargers. Another is for attaching accessories. You can get MagSafe covers which will have more attachment security (less likely to come loose) and means you can charge your phone up whilst using a cover. Apple are also dealing a credit card wallet which attaches to the back of the phone via the MagSafe connection. Belkin are releasing an in car cradle which uses just the MagSafe instead of clamps, as well as multipurpose stands.
MagSafe is pretty much how iPhones in future will charge and how things will connect to it.

« Last Edit: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 02:36:35 PM by Stifleaay »

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #6392 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
Hello-

Thanks
It will be quite a size, and offers only slight camera improvements on the 12Pro.
To put into perspective, the upcoming 12 mini will be roughly the same size as the 6,7, and 8 models.
Myself I think the 12Pro Max would be too big for myself, you would certainly need deep pockets.

As for a case. That is up to you. Most people prefer cases and there are plenty of different options out there from heavy duty cases, to basic back and side protection, to flip cases.

As for MagSafe, it serves multiple purposes. One of which is wireless charging which can charge at double the rate of QI chargers. Another is for attaching accessories. You can get MagSafe covers which will have more attachment security (less likely to come loose) and means you can charge your phone up whilst using a cover. Apple are also dealing a credit card wallet which attaches to the back of the phone via the MagSafe connection. Belkin are releasing an in car cradle which uses just the MagSafe instead of clamps, as well as multipurpose stands.
MagSafe is pretty much how iPhones in future will charge and how things will connect to it.

Super thanks for the reply-
If it really is that big maybe the 12 pro will be good enough then ( or even the 12 ) will look into it

That MagSafe sounds good- though maybe not worth it then for the meantime to get something that works with it if I have a wireless charger already

Might risk going no cover but May regret it 😂😂

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6393 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Hello-

Thanks
To put into perspective, the upcoming 12 mini will be roughly the same size as the 6, 7, and 8 models.

If it really is that big maybe the 12 pro will be good enough then ( or even the 12 ) will look into it

That MagSafe sounds good- though maybe not worth it then for the meantime to get something that works with it if I have a wireless charger already

One thing I forgot to mention with MagSafe is that it helps align the charger to the correct location for the iPhone to charge, where as traditional wireless chargers can often miss the charging point, or so I’m told.

The 12 comes with half the storage space as the 12Pro, and once you upgrade the storage space to match the 12Pro you may as well just buy the 12Pro as there is little price difference.

With you getting a 17% discount and contemplating not using a case, I’d recommend looking into AppleCare or getting insurance from a 3rd party company with the saving you will get.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #6394 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
Hello-

Thanks

One thing I forgot to mention with MagSafe is that it helps align the charger to the correct location for the iPhone to charge, where as traditional wireless chargers can often miss the charging point, or so I’m told.

The 12 comes with half the storage space as the 12Pro, and once you upgrade the storage space to match the 12Pro you may as well just buy the 12Pro as there is little price difference.

With you getting a 17% discount and contemplating not using a case, I’d recommend looking into AppleCare or getting insurance from a 3rd party company with the saving you will get.

Hmm yes thanks for the advice I will think-

Definitely will get apple care without a case- can get for 10 pound a month now which ain’t too bad rather than a full year bill

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6395 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
I ordered some Beats Flex for s***s & giggles. I'll let you all know if they make sound in a good way.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #6396 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 04:33:03 PM »
I ordered some Beats Flex for s***s & giggles. I'll let you all know if they make sound in a good way.
They look like they might be a great buy at the £50 price point. My stepdad was after some wireless in ear headphones and I think these will be a great product for him.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6397 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 04:34:47 PM »
Aye, I'm basically going for them because I hate the normo bluetooth experience, so hoping the pairing/device switching experience is the same as my airpods. Which I will then pass on to the wife, so I no longer live in fear of losing them. The stress was too great.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6398 on: Thursday 22 October 2020, 12:12:32 PM »
Jonny Ives is apparently now working as a designer with Airbnb.
Apart from their logo and website, I can't think of anything they need designed.

Online Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6399 on: Thursday 22 October 2020, 12:41:34 PM »
Jonny Ives is apparently now working as a designer with Airbnb.
Apart from their logo and website, I can't think of anything they need designed.

They need a decent f***ing UI designer.

Just let me search with a min and a max bedrooms filter, man!