Author Topic: The Apple Thread  (Read 103334 times)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
Re: The Apple Thread
« Reply #6275 on: Monday 17 August 2020, 04:39:51 PM »
I bought the wife a cheap color laser printer that she uses, mostly for written proposals, although they've reduced given Covid. But she does find it handy in a pinch, it's not like she ever prints actual sell-able products with it, but she can use it for concepts/demos.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6276 on: Monday 17 August 2020, 04:55:45 PM »
I've got a printer but I'm not a designer. Very handy be able to print stuff I'm working on and write on it. Pain to have a massive printer taking up space mind, in future I might look at one of the very compact ones.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6277 on: Tuesday 18 August 2020, 08:23:07 AM »
I've got a printer but I'm not a designer. Very handy be able to print stuff I'm working on and write on it. Pain to have a massive printer taking up space mind, in future I might look at one of the very compact ones.

There seems to be 2 options. Either buy a Laser printer - usually expensive but toner is cheaper to buy.
Or a far cheaper Inkjet printer where to replace the inks costs more than the cost of the hardware.
The wife and I discussed it last night and we may wait until such time as we actually need printouts.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6278 on: Tuesday 18 August 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
You can get non-official toner as well on amazon, brings the price down a bit. But again, I don't need to worry about quality.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6279 on: Wednesday 19 August 2020, 05:01:37 PM »
You can get non-official toner as well on amazon, brings the price down a bit. But again, I don't need to worry about quality.

I've decide to forego a printer and add another monitor.
Thanks guys.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6280 on: Thursday 20 August 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
Anyone got any experience of working with a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet?
I've just acquired one, and I'm attempting to forego the mouse and use it all the time.
Damn, it's got a bit of a hair-trigger hasn't it?

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #6281 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 10:14:08 PM »
iOS 14 is to be officially released tomorrow.

Apple announced new watches and iPads today.
The new watch has a blood oxygen sensor, apart from that there is nothing really new about it. Although the blue version such will almost certainly mean we will have the same coloured iPhone looks great.

Apple have announced the Apple One subscription service which combines their subscription services into bundles.
I would be interested myself, however there is no annual option.

They have also announced the Fitness+ subscription which will ultimately challenge Peloton.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6282 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 11:26:17 PM »
I was hoping for a new MacBook :/

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6283 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:45:26 AM »

The new watch has a blood oxygen sensor, apart from that there is nothing really new about it. Although the blue version such will almost certainly mean we will have the same coloured iPhone looks great.

Apple have announced the Apple One subscription service which combines their subscription services into bundles.

They have also announced the Fitness+ subscription which will ultimately challenge Peloton.

The fact that this was quite a 'dry' presentation worries me.
With Jobs gone, Cook is a safe pair of hands but lacks Jobs' drive and focus.
Also with Johnny Ives no longer at the helm, there have been no new design innovations - which was always what they were about. They made stuff, everyone else copied.
The iMac design goes back almost 10 years, they're rehashing the iPhone 4 'angled-edges' for new products and they're pushing subscription packages.
I wonder if this is the peak for them?

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #6284 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:55:42 AM »

Also with Johnny Ives no longer at the helm, there have been no new design innovations - which was always what they were about. They made stuff, everyone else copied.
The iMac design goes back almost 10 years, they're rehashing the iPhone 4 'angled-edges' for new products and they're pushing subscription packages.

They seem to be more concentrated on services now.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #6285 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 10:56:10 AM »

I'd wait until the new ARM CPU Macs are out.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6286 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 11:14:57 AM »

Yeah, I was hoping they’d announce one.

Online sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #6287 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 12:08:03 PM »

Blood oxygen sensor? They're definitely running out of ideas. I mean, what more can you put on your phone?

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6288 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 01:18:00 PM »

I've just splashed out on a 2020 27inch iMac...for work (If I ever get any again)

Online Shadow Puppets

• General Member
« Reply #6289 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 02:19:01 PM »

Blood oxygen sensor? They're definitely running out of ideas. I mean, what more can you put on your phone?

To be fair, a blood oxygen sensor is a really good idea in the age of Covid  :lol:. Your oxygenated blood levels are a sure fire indicator of whether your cold / flu is in fact turning into pneumonia / other respiratory illness.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6290 on: Wednesday 16 September 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
Hoping my first gen SE holds on long enough for me to get the 12. Which I will then hold on to for 5 years.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #6291 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 10:30:12 AM »
Need the 12
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6292 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 11:01:29 AM »
Has the 12 been announced? I’m stilll rocking the 8+.

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #6293 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
Next month allegedly

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #6294 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 04:28:37 PM »

I'm 8+ed, but I'm thinking of going back to the smaller size.
Too big for my pocket.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6295 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 04:37:58 PM »

I'm 8+ed, but I'm thinking of going back to the smaller size.
Too big for my pocket.

Good thing now is you get the same size screen in a smaller body.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #6296 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
So iPad Air and Pro now use USB-C.  That's a good thing but really should be doing it across all devices.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6297 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
Got a new battery for my MacBook, back to full-day battery life. Been holding out but worth doing since they didn’t announce any more new laptops yet.

This’ll see me through until next year at least now. Never had a machine I’ve liked more, even though it got universally panned. Over 5 years old and runs like a dream (as long as you don’t need anything with graphics or power).

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #6298 on: Thursday 17 September 2020, 08:30:37 PM »

Yeah. I don’t think Cook let Ive have that creativity freedom Jobs did. Under Jobs the protruding camera and the notch just wouldn’t have happened on the iPhone.

The subscription thing is a good model. The whole world is moving to subscription models, from TV and music, to other areas. Apple changed how we bought music with iTunes, now they have had to catch up to how we purchase music and TV these days.
I said to my friend a few months back that a Peloton like fitness subscription from Apple would arrive sooner or later, it fits their MO. It arrived a lot sooner than I thought it would. The question now is will they move into gym equipment?

If Apple didn’t have too many ties to Barclays and J P Morgan, then I think they would have created their own challenger bank by now, or have bought out someone like Monzo.

Offline ManDoon

• General Member
« Reply #6299 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 11:53:30 PM »
Got a new battery for my MacBook, back to full-day battery life. Been holding out but worth doing since they didn’t announce any more new laptops yet.

This’ll see me through until next year at least now. Never had a machine I’ve liked more, even though it got universally panned. Over 5 years old and runs like a dream (as long as you don’t need anything with graphics or power).

2015? I'm still rocking 2012. Its a beast
:lol: I dunno. I'm starting to think it was us.
Trump will do well man. Don't know why but I really feel this will be the case. Really hope it will come to be that way.

Steve Bruce "“We can’t compete with the bigs boys at the top end so the cup is our best bet - it’s a lovely day out”"