Author Topic: The Apple Thread  (Read 90519 times)

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
Re: WIP
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 10:50:20 am »
Macs are great.  If it wasn't for playing a lot of online poker and the software not being supported I wouldn't use a PC.  Got my lass a Macbook last Christmas having had one myself previously.  More expensive obv but if you've got the cash for it, so f***.

Half the reason I got my iMac is for poker.  I play on Full Tilt, but I think most sites have Mac software.   The Poker Tracker 3 software has been released on the Mac too.  The screen is perfect for poker (especially if you multitable) because you can fit so much on it. 

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:08:45 am »
I've been using Macs for 20 years. Started with a SE30 now use a Macbook at home, Intel DuoCore at work.
Any problems I've had are all app-based, or served-based if on a network.
The new Snow leopard is/was uncharacteristically buggy, but it seems to be running fine now.
The PC users who complain about Mac-Users smugness. Why.
The world would be a better place if everyone was able to access the best technology instead of a badly
implemented copy, which is, let's face it, what Windows has always been.

Gemmill

« Reply #27 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:12:50 am »
Macs are great.  If it wasn't for playing a lot of online poker and the software not being supported I wouldn't use a PC.  Got my lass a Macbook last Christmas having had one myself previously.  More expensive obv but if you've got the cash for it, so f***.

Half the reason I got my iMac is for poker.  I play on Full Tilt, but I think most sites have Mac software.   The Poker Tracker 3 software has been released on the Mac too.  The screen is perfect for poker (especially if you multitable) because you can fit so much on it. 

Didn't realised PT3 was supporting Mac now, although I used HEM anyway.  I use dual monitors for multi-tabling purposes.  Is Full Tilt the only site supporting Macs - don't think Stars do, do they?

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:24:02 am »

Half the reason I got my iMac is for poker.  I play on Full Tilt, but I think most sites have Mac software.   The Poker Tracker 3 software has been released on the Mac too.  The screen is perfect for poker (especially if you multitable) because you can fit so much on it. 

Didn't realised PT3 was supporting Mac now, although I used HEM anyway.  I use dual monitors for multi-tabling purposes.  Is Full Tilt the only site supporting Macs - don't think Stars do, do they?

Why do I get the feeling Gemms is coining it on various poker sites the rascal? What's the best one btw?  :pow:

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:34:07 am »

Stars is as well, and Cake.  I think most of them are these days.  I used to use HEM, but PT3 seems just as good so far.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:35:14 am »

Stars is as well, and Cake.  I think most of them are these days.  I used to use HEM, but PT3 seems just as good so far.

What's the best one at putting my winnings into my bank the fastest?

Offline colinmk

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:38:25 am »
windows 7 is much better, got a PC as a media center not crashed once!

Windows 7 is good but still not anywhere near as solid as a mac imo.

Gemmill

« Reply #32 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:45:35 am »

Why do I get the feeling Gemms is coining it on various poker sites the rascal? What's the best one btw?  :pow:

Depends really.  If you're just messing around they're all much of a muchness, but I'd probably go with FullTilt (don't sign up without a rakeback deal though).  If you're playing regularly and you have a decent amount of money online, then security and the VIP programmes come into play and Stars has the best one going imo.  From a security perspective, Full Tilt and Stars have added security measures compared to other sites.

Gemmill

« Reply #33 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 11:47:12 am »

That's good to know, thanks.  Might ditch the PC on my next computer purchase and go back to a mac.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 12:01:06 pm »
Depends really.  If you're just messing around they're all much of a muchness, but I'd probably go with FullTilt (don't sign up without a rakeback deal though).  If you're playing regularly and you have a decent amount of money online, then security and the VIP programmes come into play and Stars has the best one going imo.  From a security perspective, Full Tilt and Stars have added security measures compared to other sites.

I'd agree with that.  Don't see much point playing at Stars unless you're a Supernova, rakeback is too important.

Gemmill

« Reply #35 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 12:03:05 pm »
Yeah, I'm Supernova, which definitely makes the difference.  Although tbh with the number of shortstackers that are flooding the place at the minute I might have to ditch Stars for FT unless they do something about it.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 01:30:54 pm »
They're fast as f***. I've got a 2.5 year old macbook and it's been continually faster than my girlfriends 1.5 year old Sony VAIO, and now she's having it replaced because it's too slow and has no battery life...so yeah they're pretty great apart from the money business. Hold their value like a motherfucker, too, incase you don't like it you wont lose too much money selling it.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Boosden

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 07:04:07 pm »

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 07:20:41 pm »

:lol:

Thank you so much.  :lol:  Gonna put it in the sloth thread.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday 8 February 2010, 12:13:35 am »
I have a MacBook Pro 13" which I use for work, which makes me a smug SOB.

I have a beast of a PC with a 24" HD screen for fun stuff, though. It makes me f***ing smug as well for some reason.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline JH

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: Monday 8 February 2010, 01:57:11 am »
Gotta MacBook Pro for work - not mine, belongs to the company but it's a f***ing beast for video and audio editing - miles ahead of the PC in terms of quality and speed.

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 09:32:49 am »
The annoying thing about Macbooks compared to Windows laptops is the fact that you generally have to use Apple programs which are poor in comparison to most microsoft ones and even worse compared to other programs you can find online etc that are often incompatible with macbooks, Im sure that will change though.
Another personal grind is that they seem to be only a tiny bit different to windows in their general usage because windows had naild it much earlier. So you want to, i dont know, save, copy and paste, minimize etc etc etc and it should be the same, but its just that little different and less convenient than in windows.
Its just different for differents sake. I also dont like the way they are marketed as 'fashionable'. Apple seem to just want to make products to sell them, Microsoft seem  to go about making something for a purpose and people buy it because its needed. That may be just me.
Cant deny that there are points to apples that are better than windows machines, like the way the open programs are opened around each other instead of on top so its quicker. But I disagree that if you want to best Video, Music, photo software etc you buy a Mac as they're the best for that. A Sony Viao with the correct programs and maintenance would be better.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 09:41:18 am »
The annoying thing about Macbooks compared to Windows laptops is the fact that you generally have to use Apple programs which are poor in comparison to most microsoft ones and even worse compared to other programs you can find online etc that are often incompatible with macbooks, Im sure that will change though.
Another personal grind is that they seem to be only a tiny bit different to windows in their general usage because windows had naild it much earlier. So you want to, i dont know, save, copy and paste, minimize etc etc etc and it should be the same, but its just that little different and less convenient than in windows.
Its just different for differents sake. I also dont like the way they are marketed as 'fashionable'. Apple seem to just want to make products to sell them, Microsoft seem  to go about making something for a purpose and people buy it because its needed. That may be just me.
Cant deny that there are points to apples that are better than windows machines, like the way the open programs are opened around each other instead of on top so its quicker. But I disagree that if you want to best Video, Music, photo software etc you buy a Mac as they're the best for that. A Sony Viao with the correct programs and maintenance would be better.

Argh, you've got it so wrong mate!

I was a PC user my whole life until I got my Macbook, and I'd never go back... OSX is streets ahead of Windows in most respects, and the office software is no worse at all, it's just different. In fact, you can easily get MS Office for Mac if you're really attached to their inferior usability and reliability.

Apple make things because they can do it better than anyone else, IMO to compare a Vaio to a Macbook - it's not even in the same league.

Also, most commands are the same, you just use the Command/Apple key instead of Ctrl in Windows. It's very easy to switch between the two after a couple of weeks getting used to it.

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 09:57:36 am »
Haha.
I probably am, I have always had PCs  but have used a mac at work for 6 months now. If I wasnt so stubborn and used it for different things Id probably enjoy it.
You're right, you d get used to things and then its not really a problem, I just still find it, even after getting used to it, really quite irritating though.
Its almost as if its sitting there all smug going...'Im a mac dont you know', while the pc/laptop works away at doing what you ask it to, even if its worse...i just prefer its....personality, I suppose.

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 11:36:29 am »
I must be the only person in the world that has a PC that doesn't crash. From XP onwards I've had very, very few problems.

My last Dell laptop lasted for about four years and was running fine before the screen hinge wore out.
Same here, I can't remember the last time my PC crashed on me. Didn't happen once when I used Vista, hasn't happened with 7 either.

Offline colinmk

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 11:59:02 am »

No way man. I work in the audio industry and know loads of audio people, video editors etc and graphic designers and 99/100 will choose a mac. It's in a different leage in terms of stability and compatibility with the leading audio/video programs.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 01:41:57 pm »
Its just different for differents sake.

The Mac OS actually predates Windows though.

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 01:48:10 pm »

Didn't know that

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 03:45:14 pm »

LOL :spit: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As mentioned earlier, I use both Window and Mac daily, and I have no issues changing inbetween them. Not that a big difference tbh.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline OzzieMandias

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 9 February 2010, 03:51:49 pm »

Didn't know that

Windows was an attempt to copy the Mac interface. There was a huge lawsuit about the issue of "look and feel" at the time. Apple lost, perhaps largely because they had in turn copied many of the salient features from Xerox. But Windows has never been as good as the Mac OS, partly because the Mac OS is (well, was, now that it has been replaced by OSX) integral to the machines, with a lot of its functions embedded in the computers' ROM. Windows was always a "shell", operating on top of the actual MS system.