Author Topic: The Apple Thread  (Read 90847 times)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
The Apple Thread
« on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:33:24 pm »
www.apple.com/live/

Apple Event 6pm Today, iPads, Mac OS Yosemite, iMacs? Mac Minis?!? Apple TVs!?!?!??! Back to the gay rainbow logo!?!?!?!?!??!/1/!?!/!/!

Live streaming video requires Safari 5.1.10 or later on OS X v10.6.8 or later; Safari on iOS 6.0 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 6.2 or later.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 22 October 2014, 12:20:15 pm by SEMTEX »

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
Re: WIP
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:34:40 pm »
Oh, and I almost forgot about my continuous sense of smugness

Offline OzzieMandias

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:35:34 pm »
I don't know how it goes with PCs, but I get 4-5 years of use out of each new Mac before memory limits start getting too serious and things start going wrong. Bought this one last year and it was only my sixth machine in 24 years.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:41:53 pm »
I don't know how it goes with PCs, but I get 4-5 years of use out of each new Mac before memory limits start getting too serious and things start going wrong. Bought this one last year and it was only my sixth machine in 24 years.

I've had my laptop a year last xmas, it's already had to go back for a new HD, and I've just recently spent a bit of money on replacing the power port, though that was partly my fault for tripping over the wire. Also the battery f***ed pretty much straight away, where as the one's in the new Macbooks claim to last for 5 years before being reduced to 80% of it's capacity. My friend got a Windows computer at the time as me and his is now running slow etc despite having anit-virus softwhere, experts looking at it etc. Windows is constantly pissing me off now, and the computers just don't seem to be built aswell as Mac's going by reviews on Mac's. A windows machine usually would last me 2-3 years, though I doubt my current laptop has got that much life within it.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:44:12 pm »
Plus, tripping over the wire wouldn't have harmed a Mac due to the amazing MagSafe connector :D

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:44:20 pm »
I know f***-all about computers but I think one of the pro's of owning a Mac is a continuous sense of smugness, is this correct?

Slothface as standard.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:51:07 pm »
I know f***-all about computers but I think one of the pro's of owning a Mac is a continuous sense of smugness, is this correct?

Slothface as standard.

:lol:  A photoshop genius needs to add 2 and 2 together here.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 09:55:25 pm »
Plus, tripping over the wire wouldn't have harmed a Mac due to the amazing MagSafe connector :D

f***!

Offline OzzieMandias

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 10:17:26 pm »

I've had my laptop a year last xmas, it's already had to go back for a new HD, and I've just recently spent a bit of money on replacing the power port, though that was partly my fault for tripping over the wire. Also the battery f***ed pretty much straight away, where as the one's in the new Macbooks claim to last for 5 years before being reduced to 80% of it's capacity. My friend got a Windows computer at the time as me and his is now running slow etc despite having anit-virus softwhere, experts looking at it etc. Windows is constantly pissing me off now, and the computers just don't seem to be built aswell as Mac's going by reviews on Mac's. A windows machine usually would last me 2-3 years, though I doubt my current laptop has got that much life within it.

I had to replace the hard disk in my last MacBook after about 18 months, and the Airport card after about three-and-a-half years, but those are the only times I've ever had that kind of disabling hardware problem except for when I burnt out the power supply on a three-year-old Mac Plus after working on it frantically to produce a publication in 72 hours non-stop.

The 2004 MacBook was probably the least reliable, in hardware terms, of all the Macs I've owned -- there was a battery recall, and I had to replace the power lead after four years because the plug had got a bit bent after I'd finally tripped over the cable one time too many. (The magnetic thing on the new one dispenses with that prob, as someone just pointed out.) The titanium case was a bit buckled and dented by the end, too. One the other hand, it had travelled a real lot without any problems on the road, and had even been to the Sahara desert twice.

The new one feels loads better. The all-one-piece casing is much sturdier, the keyboard is both easier to type on and lets less dust into the inner workings (don't have to clean it so often), the trackpad is miles better, the speakers are good enough that I now often don't bother to take a remote pair with me when I'm travelling, and it's fast as f***. I preferred the matt screen and the front positioning of the disc slot on the old one (on this one it's on the side at the back, and I find myself always having to move things out of the way when I need to insert a CD or DVD) but they're quibbles, really.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 10:57:13 pm »
Macs good hardware, shame OS X (or whatever number snow leopard is) is crap.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 11:10:40 pm »
just got the latest basic Macbook.  Already decided I'm not going back to a PC.  Much faster, far less prone to crashing.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 11:16:18 pm »
I must be the only person in the world that has a PC that doesn't crash. From XP onwards I've had very, very few problems.

My last Dell laptop lasted for about four years and was running fine before the screen hinge wore out.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 4 February 2010, 11:30:51 pm »
Thinking of investing in a decent laptop and pretty much everyone I know has one of these and say they are the dog's danglies. I know the initial outlay is more than a laptop, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the pro's etc of owning such a thing.

If it's just word processing and whatnot just get a pc.
If you're going to mess with music or images get da mac.

Offline Allmo

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 04:23:35 pm »
For people with problems with Windows computers, Windows 7 really is a very good OS compared to Vista. I've had no problems with it after a good few months use, and its generally very fast. It's not going to stop me getting my first Mac when I upgrade though, they just seem so good.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 04:39:01 pm »
I got my iMac a couple of weeks ago.  OS X seems weird at first, but it's not more complicated, it's just that everyone's used to Windows and things work differently.  I absolutely love it and can't see myself ever going back to a PC.

Gemmill

« Reply #15 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 05:37:24 pm »
Macs are great.  If it wasn't for playing a lot of online poker and the software not being supported I wouldn't use a PC.  Got my lass a Macbook last Christmas having had one myself previously.  More expensive obv but if you've got the cash for it, so f***.

Offline Gash?

• General Member
  • If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
« Reply #16 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 08:06:19 pm »
They are definitely worth the money, my pro is an absolute dream to use and i will never buy a normal PC/Laptop again.

Offline adam

• General Member
  • Thoroughly blue veining
« Reply #17 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:06:25 pm »
i bought a 3year old ibook g4 1.33ghz off ebay last year, for about £240....works like its brand new, like s*** off a stick it is. works perfectly running itunes with iphone downloading apps, firefox and traktor or photoshop. only got 786mb ram too. Would never go back to a PC now like.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:22:28 pm »
windows 7 is much better, got a PC as a media center not crashed once!

Offline Andy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:25:12 pm »
windows 7 is much better

Not in my experience. Snow Leopard is infinitely more reliable and smooth -- Windows 7 is a step in the right direction, for sure, but other than the obvious compatibility advantages, it doesn't have a patch on OS X.

Offline OzzieMandias

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:28:09 pm »
One Mac downside is that you can't get the online match commentary service from .cock.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #21 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:39:00 pm »
I've used W7 a little and it's really a lot better than XP, for no massive reason other than it's just a lot more pleasant to use. I still find it frustrating compared to OSX, but I'm sure I could survive if I had to.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #22 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:39:18 pm »
One Mac downside is that you can't get the online match commentary service from .cock.

Legally.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday 5 February 2010, 09:53:57 pm »
I must be the only person who has used OSX and not liked it judging by this thread.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 6 February 2010, 12:58:32 am »
the trackpad is also quality.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too