Author Topic: Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread  (Read 217089 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread
« Reply #4475 on: Thursday 6 June 2019, 09:06:09 pm »
Some new wireless headphones.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #4476 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 01:49:56 am »
Joined the Bomfuck MC’s?

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #4477 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 08:40:50 am »

After fierce arselicking I managed to buy this from an F16 Viper pilot who was serving with 527th Aggressor squadron when they were based at Alconbury. I am the coolest pensioner on the block.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4478 on: Saturday 8 June 2019, 09:15:47 pm »
Joined the Bomfuck MC’s?

Not quite.

These are very good, noise cancellation is decent.  24 hour battery and sound quality is good without issues over bluetooth.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4479 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 02:48:35 pm »
Looking for a wireless speaker does anyone have any recommendations?
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #4480 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
What's your budget? You looking for something portable or something just to sit in the house?

Opposite ends of the scale but I bought my dad a UE Boom 2 a while back for £100 or so for him to take on his holidays and play around the house and he's really happy with it.

Had a Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin for a good 5 years or so now and it's f***ing mint, but pricey. The new version has Bluetooth, airplay, Spotify play etc and I'll 100% be getting one if my current one packs in. Can get a refurb for £399.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/outlet/zeppelin-wireless-rc

Had a listen to a Sonos One a while ago and that sounded really good and always seems to review well, £200-ish usually I think.
« Last Edit: Saturday 15 June 2019, 03:59:16 pm by TheHoob »

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #4481 on: Saturday 15 June 2019, 04:30:05 pm »
I’ve got Sonos in my flat, can’t really experience it fully because I can only turn it up to about 15%. But it’s a good speaker.

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4482 on: Sunday 16 June 2019, 05:45:05 am »
What's your budget? You looking for something portable or something just to sit in the house?

Opposite ends of the scale but I bought my dad a UE Boom 2 a while back for £100 or so for him to take on his holidays and play around the house and he's really happy with it.

Had a Bowers and Wilkins Zeppelin for a good 5 years or so now and it's f***ing mint, but pricey. The new version has Bluetooth, airplay, Spotify play etc and I'll 100% be getting one if my current one packs in. Can get a refurb for £399.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/outlet/zeppelin-wireless-rc

Had a listen to a Sonos One a while ago and that sounded really good and always seems to review well, £200-ish usually I think.

Probably thinking around 200 - 300 mark, with in built voice activation- though I’m not sure how much I’d use that, also would like good pairing with iPhone, high sound quality ( for podcasts also ) like my music loud but not really possible where I live so quality first

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #4483 on: Sunday 16 June 2019, 11:35:27 am »
Just go sonos.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #4484 on: Sunday 16 June 2019, 11:39:16 am »
The sound quality on the Apple HomePod makes me happy. A little pricey - but coming down.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #4485 on: Friday 28 June 2019, 12:32:02 pm »

Can recommend Xiaomi airdots, great little things for the price, about 18 quid off Aliexpress and similar.  Pair when you take them out of the case, the automatically turn off and start charging again when you chuck em back, connecting to the charging holes with magnets.  Reckon the sound quality is as good or better as wired headphones of the same kind of price, so not earth shattering or anything but fine.  Not had to change the box yet and been using them for ages.  Once they did go quiet and had to unpair and repair to fix it, think basically they'd lowered the valume for a notification alert and it didn't go back to normal for some reason.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4486 on: Friday 28 June 2019, 03:17:58 pm »

Can recommend Xiaomi airdots, great little things for the price, about 18 quid off Aliexpress and similar.  Pair when you take them out of the case, the automatically turn off and start charging again when you chuck em back, connecting to the charging holes with magnets.  Reckon the sound quality is as good or better as wired headphones of the same kind of price, so not earth shattering or anything but fine.  Not had to change the box yet and been using them for ages.  Once they did go quiet and had to unpair and repair to fix it, think basically they'd lowered the valume for a notification alert and it didn't go back to normal for some reason.

:thup:

I've been looking at these for some cheap wireless headphones for the gym.

« Reply #4487 on: Friday 28 June 2019, 03:44:58 pm »

Ah mint. Ive literally just ordered some of these from AliExpress. In 40 short days time I'm gonna be enjoying some sweet Xioami sounds.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #4488 on: Saturday 29 June 2019, 05:14:27 pm »

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4489 on: Saturday 29 June 2019, 05:44:42 pm »
That's nice.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #4490 on: Sunday 30 June 2019, 09:53:54 am »
The sound quality on the Apple HomePod makes me happy. A little pricey - but coming down.

All my friends who bought them seemed to want to sell them. Sound quality wasn’t questionable just the interactivity aspect.

« Reply #4491 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 12:14:29 pm »

Ah mint. Ive literally just ordered some of these from AliExpress. In 40 short days time I'm gonna be enjoying some sweet Xioami sounds.

These arrived today, amazingly. Absolute bargain at the £14 I got them for...
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #4492 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 12:51:28 pm »
These:

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/wh-1000xm3/review

ame today. Only going off sound quality but i'm not massively impressed. I've a 6 year old pair of logitech UE 9000's (https://www.whathifi.com/logitech/ue-9000/review) and the latter is slightly better for bass and surprisingly stage separation/ layering (not sure of the term but where you can distinguish where the instruments are)

Everything else it wins hands down (noise cancelling, fit, design, features, weight) but sweaty ears are real with these, never had that issue before.

Overall, not sure if i'll keep them. Wanted them for ages and was worried about this. If i didn't have the UE's then these are worth it all day, but £200 on a minor upgrade   :undecided:

PS: Do headphones need breaking in like normal speakers?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #4493 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 01:56:12 pm »

All my friends who bought them seemed to want to sell them. Sound quality wasn’t questionable just the interactivity aspect.

I think all of these voice controllers are way off being genuinely useful. Siri is crap still.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4494 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 03:45:05 pm »

I think all of these voice controllers are way off being genuinely useful. Siri is crap still.

Alexa is useful because there's so many actions available on it because it's easy to develop for.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #4495 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 03:46:25 pm »
A rucksack, tablet, electric toothbrush and travel headrest.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #4496 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 06:04:37 pm »
These:

ame today. Only going off sound quality but i'm not massively impressed. I've a 6 year old pair of logitech UE 9000's (https://www.whathifi.com/logitech/ue-9000/review) and the latter is slightly better for bass and surprisingly stage separation/ layering (not sure of the term but where you can distinguish where the instruments are)

Everything else it wins hands down (noise cancelling, fit, design, features, weight) but sweaty ears are real with these, never had that issue before.

Overall, not sure if i'll keep them. Wanted them for ages and was worried about this. If i didn't have the UE's then these are worth it all day, but £200 on a minor upgrade   :undecided:

Funnily enough got the exact same pair on Monday and have started the returns process.

Found the playback controls really s****, they made my ears a bit sweaty and didn't really feel premium for the price. Also the connectivity with my phone was not great.

Going to get the Powerbeats Pro true wireless instead. I like physical buttons :lol:

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #4497 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 07:22:35 pm »
These:

Funnily enough got the exact same pair on Monday and have started the returns process.

Found the playback controls really s****, they made my ears a bit sweaty and didn't really feel premium for the price. Also the connectivity with my phone was not great.

Going to get the Powerbeats Pro true wireless instead. I like physical buttons :lol:

I've had mine on all day breaking them in and they are starting to come to life. Also, my main two sources were really set with the old headset in mind, fine tuned them both and now the sound is nearer where i expected it to be. I've managed to pull through the level of bass i'd expect, separation now there while retaining the detail. Now a lot happier.

I'm wired in btw (powered and noise cancelling) Bluetooth is all well and good for convenience but the sound compression is not for me so avoid it whenever I can. Downside is the playback buttons don't work wired in, just the hand on to hear ambient.

Ears haven't been sweating this time round, really weird like  :lol:

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #4498 on: Tuesday 16 July 2019, 11:49:38 pm »

Alexa is useful because there's so many actions available on it because it's easy to develop for.

Is it really though?

I feel like a f***ing tool talking to my Siri on my phone and apart from choosing a song or making a note really what else will you be using it for

The only time I understand talking to your phone/ any devise is when in your pocket with headphones on

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4499 on: Wednesday 17 July 2019, 12:04:03 am »
Siri is great in the car.  Can change song/podcast, make phone calls and send texts, and change sat nav destination all with your voice.