Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 968616 times)

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
Re: Facebook
« Reply #15775 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
I found a good first step before getting rid off my phone was to just unfollow/hide anyone I didn't care about seeing. It cut down the amount of s*** to the point where the first few things on my feed are the same for days on end.

Damn sight easier to stop yourself mindlessly opening the app every 2mins when there's f*** all to see on there.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #15776 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 02:37:27 PM »
I found a good first step before getting rid off my phone was to just unfollow/hide anyone I didn't care about seeing. It cut down the amount of s*** to the point where the first few things on my feed are the same for days on end.

Damn sight easier to stop yourself mindlessly opening the app every 2mins when there's f*** all to see on there.

I would heartily recommend quitting FB and Twitter.
I came off FB about 4.5 years ago and Twitter about 2.5 years ago.
The only app I still use in Instagram, which can get annoying, but isn't as full of utter s**** like the others.
I only use it for posting pics and communicating with my brothers and sisters, nieces, nephews etc.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #15777 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
I'd say Instagram definitely has its own problems though, the absolute stench of desperation that comes off the majority of the women on it is humming. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're usually hot as f***, but jesus christ, it's so disturbing. :lol:

A mental health problem waiting to happen, with the next generation of teens and all that. That'll be their FB dilemma.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #15778 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
I'd say Instagram definitely has its own problems though, the absolute stench of desperation that comes off the majority of the women on it is humming. I mean, don't get me wrong, they're usually hot as f***, but jesus christ, it's so disturbing. :lol:

A mental health problem waiting to happen, with the next generation of teens and all that. That'll be their FB dilemma.

Never understood anything about Instagram tbh.

If you've got decent pictures to put up why not put them on a site that doesn't crop them to a weird aspect ratio and encourage sticking filters all over them. Then it blew the f*** up and people started using it as some weird chat app despite everyone having probably 3 or 4 other apps much better suited to having a conversation on their phones already.

I can see why it did blow up though (tits).

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #15779 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 03:04:45 PM »
Instagram is all about Stories these days. Great way to slide into the DMs.

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #15780 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 03:21:50 PM »
Never really understood the beef with Facebook. Surely your real beef is with your friends :lol:

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #15781 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 03:46:55 PM »
Yup, you manage your TL to make it less s****.

The problem is s*** like this - https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/18/qanon-conspiracy-theory-gaining-ground-in-uk-analysis-shows

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #15782 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 04:08:44 PM »
Never really understood the beef with Facebook. Surely your real beef is with your friends :lol:

The beef for some is how much time you give to it. It's really not at all a problem with FB but an inability to use it properly. That said, you can't just ignore it, and if you can't control your use of it you're simply better off out of it. Too many people live their entire life through it, they can't comprehend any other way of living. I've not spoken to one of my sisters in 6 years because of it.

Beyond that though is the thing that makes you feel good about leaving. it is a total cesspit and the company stands for nothing of positive value. It's nurturing hate, delusions, conspiracies, and is a hot bed for mis and disinformation of the masses. It's not alone in it, but it seems by far the worst and least bothered offender.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #15783 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
I've just slowly removed 99% of the people I know from my feed, so all that's left is my parents sharing lost dogs and ranting about covid/brexit. This is a great solution for weaning yourself off Facebook. Strongly recommend.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #15784 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 04:52:21 PM »
I've just slowly removed 99% of the people I know from my feed, so all that's left is my parents sharing lost dogs and ranting about covid/brexit. This is a great solution for weaning yourself off Facebook. Strongly recommend.

:lol:

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #15785 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:00:51 PM »
How do I delete Facebook, keep messenger and keep my Facebook business page? This from a full on Facebook whore :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #15786 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:02:01 PM »
Yeah you can’t delete it if you wanna manage a business. I tried that.

But you can delete the app from your phone and keep the messenger app.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #15787 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:03:27 PM »
Don't think you can - it's the business pages that keep me wedded to the b******. Although I have created a made up profile with no friends using a spare email address that I've added as an admin to the business pages with a view to eventually f***ing off my own account.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #15788 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:18:06 PM »
Business page essential for me and messenger.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #15789 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:18:28 PM »
Glad I’m not on Twitter, we have a business page but never update the f***er.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #15790 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 05:40:24 PM »

I agree with that. I call them vanity posts.
They are odd in their self-obsession.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #15791 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 06:08:29 PM »
Glad I’m not on Twitter, we have a business page but never update the f***er.

You can link it to your Facebook page so the Twitter will update automatically every time you post on FB.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #15792 on: Friday 18 September 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
The problem isn't Facebook, it's the fact that people need to have these apps with them at all times. Get rid of Facebook and they'll just give you a new shiny app, to replace it. Get this s**** off your phones.
The best part being that you don't get up to the minute unverified bullshit.