Author Topic: The Australia Thread - inmates and visitors alike  (Read 7364 times)

BergenMagpie and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
Re: The Australia Thread - inmates and visitors alike
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 01:49:28 pm »
Margaret river is ace. I can recommend some class wee cottages to hire out if only I could remember the name! Kalbarri cottages? Class for 4~5 folk and cheap. Also should do a wine tour... so much wine. The brewery (cheeky monkey) was absolutely rubbish, worst beer I've had in a while :lol: was basically a massive hipster gimmick.
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 02:04:27 pm »
Just sorted passport. She (nice PO women) reckons 4 weeks!!! Is that pessimistic or optimistic? My old passport was well out-of-date :lol:

4 weeks is default for passport applications, depends how busy they are.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
I was last in Oz a while back, and was really surprised about how much I loved Melbourne. I mean, I was born and partly grew up in Sydney, so I know I'll always love it, but Melbourne just has a great vibe - more laid back, and strangely more cosmopolitan.

Complete opposite for me. I was born and raised in Sydney, and at 22 I moved to Victoria (Geelong as opposed to Melbourne, but that's only an hour away). I have never warmed to the city at all, and really don't get the great reputation it has. I find it to be grey and dull and completely up its own arse - especially when compared to Sydney. Whenever I see pics of the Harbour or other landmarks I can still feel the tug in my chest sixteen years later and if I could move back, I would in a heartbeat.

Most of my family lives in Brisbane, and there's a lot going for it. A bit flashy for my liking, and a strange mix of redneck natives and the more cosmopolitan (but aspirational) southerners who have moved north for the weather and opportunities. But there's an exuberance to Bris Vegas that has an appeal.
Looking after Charles Freck's artifacts

Online leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 02:51:46 pm »
I was last in Oz a while back, and was really surprised about how much I loved Melbourne. I mean, I was born and partly grew up in Sydney, so I know I'll always love it, but Melbourne just has a great vibe - more laid back, and strangely more cosmopolitan.

Complete opposite for me. I was born and raised in Sydney, and at 22 I moved to Victoria (Geelong as opposed to Melbourne, but that's only an hour away). I have never warmed to the city at all, and really don't get the great reputation it has. I find it to be grey and dull and completely up its own arse - especially when compared to Sydney. Whenever I see pics of the Harbour or other landmarks I can still feel the tug in my chest sixteen years later and if I could move back, I would in a heartbeat.

Most of my family lives in Brisbane, and there's a lot going for it. A bit flashy for my liking, and a strange mix of redneck natives and the more cosmopolitan (but aspirational) southerners who have moved north for the weather and opportunities. But there's an exuberance to Bris Vegas that has an appeal.

Yeah, it might have just been because I was spending a small time there. Don't get me wrong, I love Sydney, but I always will. I just expected Melbourne to be duller than it was. Maybe I just got lucky (I went to a lot of gigs with some cool people). I was staying in Geelong with family, too. I can definitely see that it's more up its own arse than Sydney, but the Pom in me might have liked that :lol:.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:09:32 pm »
A leadership election or 'spill' has been called for the Liberal part tonight to elect a new leader (for the second time).

Malcolm Turnbull who Abbott knifed in the back during their opposition years is running against him.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-14/liberal-leaderhip-tony-abbott-challenged-by-malcolm-turnbull/6774546

Abbott is the worst PM I've ever seen and the Liberals are in a bit of a shambles.

Just watch some of this.

Incredibly this is the time when he wouldn't answer questions and just nodded  :lol:

Gets called a dickhead by a voter

Gets called a w***** by a voter

And finally even the yanks take the p*ss out of him, well John Oliver.

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:25:56 pm »
Just seen this. The f***'s going on here? Abbott gone?!
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:42:34 pm »
Just seen this. The f***'s going on here? Abbott gone?!

Yup, Turnbull is in now.
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:43:54 pm »
How can it just change so quickly? I don't get it. :lol:

Online Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
Sounds preferable to a 3 month campaign followed by 1 month of voting

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:48:43 pm »

It can in the UK (not as quick but pretty rapid), remember Prime Minister is just the leader of the party in government.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:50:31 pm »

They call it a spill. Basically you need a set number of backers to call one then the party gathers in the party room and the MP's vote. Public don't get a say.

« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:50:51 pm »
What happened for Abbott to go? Hearing votes of no confidence?
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Amazing shoes
« Reply #37 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:53:06 pm »
"Other Countries' Presidents of the United States" :lol:

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:57:11 pm »

Yeah, his party tried it in Feb and he survived it by one vote and asked for 6 months to change things around. Then Bronwyn Bishop happened :lol:

It's been building for the last 6 weeks, I thought he might have got away with it though with parliament closing for a few weeks soon.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #39 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 01:59:11 pm »

Not racist enough.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 02:01:02 pm »

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Monday 14 September 2015, 02:13:27 pm »

Not racist enough.

:lol:

Nah, it was the gays

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 03:15:47 pm »
Former fish and chip shop owner  :lol:

Ignorance rubs across borders - had a p*ssed up conversation with a very good Aussie mate of mine, fairly left leaning and fairly intelligent. Asked me about my views on the refugee crisis then went on to rant about why 'they' shouldn't be allowed in as schools have banned nativity plays due to complaints from Muslims. I asked if he actually knew of any complaints or could prove it and he lost his s*** accusing me of being soft.

Have to say, Australia is a lot more racist than the UK.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 03:18:45 pm »
:lol: Australia is on a whole other level of racism compared to the UK. It's f***ing shocking.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 06:37:35 pm »
That country sound ludicrous each time one of their politicians opens their mouths. Is it even a secular nation with a separation of church and state defined in its constitution? Because I recall John Howard going on about Australia is a "Christian nation," and how they won't have that eroded by migrants, blah blah. What kind of PM says s*** like that? How are you different from theocracies with that kind of rhetoric?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 08:29:48 pm »
:lol: Australia is on a whole other level of racism compared to the UK. It's f***ing shocking.

This.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 09:27:45 pm »

This.

Oh god yes, horrible memories of a nice meal with family over from Australia, or at least it was nice until they started up with an anecdote about some "f***ing coons" back home. So loud and embarrassing man, we were desperately trying to change the subject as the entire restaurant began staring. :facepalm:

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 09:41:53 pm »
Was never any black people on Neighbours come to think of it.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 09:45:00 pm »
Toadfish murdered them all. Him and Karl buried the bodies under Lou's Place.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 6 October 2015, 10:15:15 pm »
Toadfish murdered them all. Him and Karl buried the bodies under Lou's Place.
[emoji38]