Author Topic: The Australia Thread - inmates and visitors alike  (Read 7550 times)

pricedoutoftoon

The Australia Thread - inmates and visitors alike
« on: Monday 14 July 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
So I've searched the chat section and there's only personal threads regarding Australia. So I'm starting a new one for anyone to talk about their trips without hijacking someone's other thread.

I'm off to Brisbane and I'm aiming for September. Seems like a good month. Nice and sunny but not too humid (before the rainy season).

Does this sound about right?

Just waiting for my passport to come back before I can sort the eVisit thing. Then it's flights booked and off I go. I reckon I'm going to do very little research other than the necessary. Just wing it, and rely on the family's input.

I'll be staying with the bro and then hiring a car for a road trip down to Sydney and hopefully Melbourne (if the Brisbane to Sydney journey doesn't kill me).

This will be the furthest I've travelled and is really a trip of a lifetime...for me. So I'll be avoiding the deadly insects as much as possible, enjoying the beaches, and hanging out with my brother and family. I will be wanting to go to clubs etc. But I'll be on my own as it's not my brother's scene :(
« Last Edit: Monday 14 July 2014, 06:46:06 pm by POOT »

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
Re: The Australia Thread - residents and visitors alike
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:19:01 pm »
Sounds like a good trip, not sure how warm it'll be in September but suppose it'll be warmer than the UK  :lol:

It might be worth looking closer to November and it's worth considering that Brisbane doesn't get the extreme heat in the summer that Perth, Adelaide and occasionally Melbourne get - this is generally Jan/February though.

Both trips by car aren't over the top and if you wanted to get straight there are doable in a day, the first one is about 11 hours.

Not sure what the clubs are like in Brisbane, but the Gold Coast has good nightlife, a good mixture of fit backpacker chicks, locals and travelling Aussies. Just be a bit careful though as it's getting a reputation a bit like Magaluf (well, not quite as bad).

Basically in all the cities you've got a choice to gather where the backpackers go or the locals go.

Try and get to Melbourne as it's get the best culture and nightlife of the three. If you go around the beginning of Nov it's Melbourne cup where the whole state of Victoria gets a public holiday and most of the country get p*ssed.

I live in Perth but have visited Sydney and Melbourne several times so if you want more info let me know.

People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:27:30 pm »
Did similar a while back in August and it'll be nice during the day but pretty nippy at night. Don't know how many times you'll be stopping en route but a lot of places we found were quite quiet with it being out of season. Byron Bay is amazing though.

Offline TheGuv

• General Member
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:29:10 pm »
I was in Oz for the Lions last year and must say Brisbane was my favourite city.

Perhaps because it was the smallest of the 3 you talk about and it reminded me a bit of Newcastle in that respect. It is very easy to navigate around and it has a good nightlife. Then again the place was full of rugby fans all smashed!

My personal favourite was a bar called the Victory. We were told horror stories about Oz being £10 a pint but at this place it was $12 for 2 which makes a big change to your outlook!

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:38:08 pm »
complains about there only
being personal threads

creates personal thread
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:39:00 pm »
I jest. Went to Perth and it was good. Mostly because my bro was there. Definitely got to see the outback - the city centre was cool but a bit fake.
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline aussiemag

• General Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:40:51 pm »
If your interested in clubbing definitely hit up the gold coast and stay at a backpackers. Youll meet like-minded foreign travellers there, and you might even get your leg over one of them ;) Id also check out the sunshine coast, some really nice beaches and small towns, foreign girls love this area.

Online CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 04:47:53 pm »
I did the Brisbane to Melbourne drive a few years ago, I got p*ssed off with the driving fairly quickly. I didn't think there was many worthwhile things to see inbetween either. Melbourne was the highlight for me, I loved it.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 05:05:37 pm »
Brisbane to Sydney is nearly the length of the GB, isn't it? I can imagine it being dull. But it's a trip with the bro who I haven't seen for 7 years, so I'm hoping it'll be interesting. We're two completely different people...so it should be :lol:

It might be worth getting a train from Sydney to Melbourne as, like you say, I'll be sick of driving by then.

You can fly for f*** all - http://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/syd/mela/cheap-flights-from-sydney-kingsford-smith-to-melbourne.html?rtn=0

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
2 years hopefully and I'll be there permanently.

just hope the demand for accountnats picks up or at least doesn't fall any further so I stay on the skilled occupation list.
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 05:30:37 pm »
Was looking South of Perth originally (know people there) but it is looking more likely to be Brisbane unless the WA economy changes and they need more bean counters
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 05:33:58 pm »
Holy s***! Are all internal flights that cheap?

Usually.

Offline aussiemag

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 05:34:06 pm »
Was looking South of Perth originally (know people there) but it is looking more likely to be Brisbane unless the WA economy changes and they need more bean counters

Thats where I live and its fantastic.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
Thread title needs the word residents replaced with the word inmates. :whistle:
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 06:39:16 pm »
Let's make a thread for every f***ing country why don't we. Why not just have a general travel thread?
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
Re: The Australia Thread - inmates and visitors alike
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 06:48:10 pm »
Let's make a thread for every f***ing country why don't we. Why not just have a general travel thread?

:lol:

Australia is one of the most popular places for UK people to go to/emigrate to. Seems fair and overdue.

So we have USA, Canada and Australia threads. That's 3. Anymore? Google says there's 196 countries. Minus England that's 192 counties left for a juicy thread of their own :D Get cracking!

Could count the Baba thread as a Nigeria thread, so that's one more off our list.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline aussiemag

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 06:50:52 pm »

Thats where I live and its fantastic.

Isn't Perth full of super rich? Not sure why I'm thinking that. Probably heard it somewhere...Neighbours, probably :lol:

yeh mainly middle class, but alot of very rich people. you should see some of their houses. mama mia!

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 07:46:47 pm »
11th most expensive city in the world isn't Perth?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 07:56:55 pm »
Thread title needs the word residents replaced with the word inmates. :whistle:

:lol: :thup:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 July 2014, 10:09:19 pm »
I was last in Oz a while back, and was really surprised about how much I loved Melbourne. I mean, I was born and partly grew up in Sydney, so I know I'll always love it, but Melbourne just has a great vibe - more laid back, and strangely more cosmopolitan.

Anyone thinking of going for a holiday needs to let us know what they envisage themselves doing - what they actually enjoy - because that could completely change where you should go.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 10:58:19 am »
I've been living in Brisbane for a few weeks now. It's a nice enough city. It has a compact city centre which hosts the high-rises, the one-way systems and the congestion. It's not crazy busy though, not from my experience, probably because there's not a great deal to do in the centre besides shop and drink.

If you're happy to come to a city just to get p*ssed, you'll do fine in Brisbane. There are certain hotspots where bars congregate near each other. For a start, there's the CBD ( the centre) which features one shambles of a club - which is actually attached to my hostel - and a scattering of decent bars. Victory, as mentioned on the previous page, is decent, as is the Pig & Whistle. Nice enough spots. Not cheap but not particularly expensive either. I haven't drank that much but you're looking at between £3-5 for a pint.

Then you've got Fortitude Valley, which has a concentration of more expensive clubs and bars, save for ones similar to which I mentioned before - attached to hostels. The Valley's only a small area really; it's just office blocks, clubs and Chinatown. Not a bad area really, but I've never drunk there.

Then you've got the South Bank which is, on the whole, a lovely area. You cross the bridge from the centre, going over the shark-infested Brisbane River, and you're on the South Bank. Under the loom of the skyscrapers and segregated by the water, it's chock full of classy little bars and restaurants, public performers and market stalls. It's the best bit of Brisbane by far, but still only quite titchy. It's also got a manufactured lagoon and this quality little circuit through a miniature rainforest. As well as free to use barbecues dotted all over the spot, which is a brilliant facility. Plus the theatre, the cinema and a Ferris wheel. It's a quality little spot if you like the simple pleasures like just wandering around and taking everything in.

In terms of actual tourist attractions, there's next to f*** all really. There's a little nature reserve with koalas and kangaroos which is a good way to kill a couple hours, but there's not much else really. It's nearby to the likes of Noosa and the Gold Coast (drinking, ganjaing and surfing) and Fraser Island, though.

I like it though. It's not the most exciting spot but it was very easy to adapt to and is absolutely full of like-minded backpackers. Like I say, if you wanna chill out and get p*ssed for a few weeks, you'll enjoy it. All I've done is work so far really so no real licence to get smashed all the time, hence my appreciation for just enjoying the area itself for what it is. Similar to Newcastle in that, although it's busy and all-systems-go, you're never far from a bit of solitude.

So aye, it's a decent spot. Nowt amazing but very likeable. It's got good transport, safe, clean, good for drinking, good for shopping, possible to relax, free boat rides, it's got free WiFi hotspots and it's got - best of f***ing all - yours f***ing truly.

Hope that helps. :thup:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 11:00:20 am »
My uncle lives in Eatons Hill, near Brisbane. Never got around to visiting him, he's been there years.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 11:02:26 am »
Doesn't Perth have the most self-made millionaires in the World per capita?

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 11:39:38 am »
Doesn't Perth have the most self-made millionaires in the World per capita?

Considering 1 in every 3 households have a boat there, I'd say it's very rich.

Online Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 July 2014, 01:31:06 pm »
I went to Australia over the New Year 2013/14 - started in Perth, then to Sydney for NYE and a bit of cricket, onto Hamilton Island for a bit of lazing and then half a day in Brisbane.  I did enjoy the trip, but I wouldn't say I would necessarily rush back.  I would have loved to have tried Melbourne but we just didn't have time.

Perth - I think we really went at the wrong time (we were there for a wedding, but the wedding got called off) so we ended up in Perth from 27th December until 31st December.  Probably too long given that the city appeared to shut down over the Christmas period.  Whole city seemed very quiet with lots of restaurants closed for 2-3 weeks.  Given my time again, I would definitely have hired a car to go out to Margaret River.

Sydney - loved Sydney.  Great food, lots to do etc, although not cheap.  Would be quite interested in moving there for a period if I ever got round to it.

Brisbane - only there for a short period of time whilst waiting for connecting flight so went into centre of town.  Remember having a bloody amazing crab lasagne at a restaurant called Il Centro by the river.