Author Topic: The Managerial Merry-go-round: Everton sack Silva  (Read 808058 times)

Offline Nobody

• That chick was like the Pele of anal
Re: The Managerial Merry-go-round: Watford sack Flores
« Reply #15500 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 01:07:25 PM »
The process often changes when a goal is scored though, which means that the raw statistic isn't as valuable as it appears.

Lots of managers are the type that will instruct a decent attacking team to stop doing it upon taking the lead. So you might have loads of first half chances, score the 7th one, then drop in and defend it. You end up conceding late and end up with a 1-1 draw. The xG stats say that you should have won 3-1 but that doesn't tell the truth about the game and how it was managed. The xR was only 3-1 because you took so long to score the first, you might well have scored the first chance on offer, and then defended that. Identical strategy but one looks better for you on the data because your strikers missed a load of chances - but if they'd not missed the first, the other six never happen.

The statistic doesn't allow for a game to be changed by a goal, and it is therefore quite misleading, which is what I thought the point Nobody (Towelie) was making was (rather than a more simple "only the result matters" one).
Spot on :thup:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #15501 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
I guess that’s fair enough, but results themselves are also subject to similar logic. And also quite a bit of randomness.

I just find it a bit old fashioned how everyone justifies their opinion based on a result, when in reality the have little idea of what they manager had actually done. If they’re not doing that here, all good.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #15502 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
?s=19

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #15503 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
Luke Edwards loves him tho
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Disco

« Reply #15504 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
He's managing down expectations and taking the flack for the poor performance of others.

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #15505 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 04:59:24 PM »
Expected goals is something that is good as an indicator over a long period of time. In specific games it's often effected by early goals, etc.
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #15506 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:27:43 PM »
Only one half man half bison can save Manchester United now
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline ToonArmy1892

• General Member
« Reply #15507 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 05:39:40 PM »
Surprised Everton haven't pulled the trigger on Silva.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #15508 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 08:46:57 PM »
Surprised Everton haven't pulled the trigger on Silva.
maybe waiting til after liverpool hammer them midweek, don't want to dampen the good vibes of getting rid of him with liverpool trashing you after all

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #15509 on: Monday 2 December 2019, 11:19:48 PM »
Arsenal have a four-man committee overseeing the managerial recruitment and have drawn up a shortlist of up to 12 names which will be reduced to a few candidates in the next week. The club have started to inteview people and ideally want to make an announcement in a month [Times]

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #15510 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 12:03:44 AM »
Arsenal have a four-man committee overseeing the managerial recruitment and have drawn up a shortlist of up to 12 names which will be reduced to a few candidates in the next week. The club have started to inteview people and ideally want to make an announcement in a month [Times]

Take you time lads née rush.

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #15511 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 12:13:49 AM »

Take you time lads née rush.

The opposite of Levy :laugh:

Online Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #15512 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 05:10:50 AM »
Perhaps Freddie Ljungberg will get a few results and a clamour can begin for the "old boy come home" schtick to play out again...?
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler.

"I have heard lots of nonsense about tactics but the big thing is about showing pride and having a go." 29/09/19

Offline ianovthetoon

• General Member
« Reply #15513 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
River Plate manager short odds to replace Silva at Everton.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #15514 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
Perhaps Freddie Ljungberg will get a few results and a clamour can begin for the "old boy come home" schtick to play out again...?
read somewhere he can't take over long term without special dispensation as he doesn't have a pro licence

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #15515 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
read somewhere he can't take over long term without special dispensation as he doesn't have a pro licence

Yeah - I heard somewhere that he can't even be in the dug out for their European games as he's unqualified. Some s*** like that anyway.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #15516 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
?s=20
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #15517 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 10:31:34 PM »
£20million release clause :kasper:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #15518 on: Tuesday 3 December 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
It's weird that's still seen as such an enormous amount of money for a manager when plenty PL clubs will pay that for a reserve full back next summer.

Suppose players hold their value better and you don't have to give them a load more money to go away if they're s****.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #15519 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 12:52:55 AM »
And it'd be an even bigger obstacle to convince him to ditch this project.

Offline Gallowgate End

• General Member
« Reply #15520 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 02:18:59 PM »
Atlético Madrid may part ways with manager Diego Simeone soon. Members of the board are dissapointed with the performances and had set out clear objectives for the League and Champions League.[Marca]

Simeone heading for Atlético Madrid divorce[The Mirror]
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-simeone-heading-atletico-madrid-21023582

Surely not.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 02:43:25 PM by Gallowgate End »

Offline SteV

• General Member
« Reply #15521 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
It's weird that's still seen as such an enormous amount of money for a manager when plenty PL clubs will pay that for a reserve full back next summer.

Suppose players hold their value better and you don't have to give them a load more money to go away if they're s****.

Not sure the mackems would agree with you there.... :lol:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #15522 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
Atlético Madrid may part ways with manager Diego Simeone soon. Members of the board are dissapointed with the performances and had set out clear objectives for the League and Champions League.[Marca]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-simeone-heading-atletico-madrid-21023582

Surely not.

No chance that's happening.

Offline steve_69

• General Member
« Reply #15523 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 04:43:55 PM »
£20million release clause :kasper:

That's essentially what clubs would pay for one average PL player. As a manager, Rafa is about as close to a sure thing as you can get. £20m is a bargain!

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #15524 on: Wednesday 4 December 2019, 05:12:10 PM »

Surely not.

No chance that's happening.

Isn't he the best paid manager in the world