Author Topic: Parenting stuff  (Read 83117 times)

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
  • Donkey s**** to you too pal
Re: Parenting stuff
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
God, I hope mine holds off the growth spurts for a while, was born on Tuesday at 11lb 11(!!)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
God, I hope mine holds off the growth spurts for a while, was born on Tuesday at 11lb 11(!!)

Congratulations mate! :celb:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 10:26:37 PM »
Have to say, I was pondering on here before ours was born about buying a baby monitor and I'm really happy with the one we've got (Tomy TF550). I was wondering if it would actually increase our anxiety - and I can see how it could for many people tbh - but for us it's the total opposite. :thup:

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 10:26:50 PM »
Another Mag to the flock, congrats  O0
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Online B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 10:28:48 PM »
I hope for the sake of the mother it was a C-section. That's a damn big baby. Congratulations!

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
We've sort of given up on getting our son into a sleeping/bedtime routine for the time being. For a month solid we were getting him fed at 6, bathed at 6.30 then bed at 7. For that month, he would fall asleep in between 7 and 8 but he'd get up at 2 and be wide awake until 5 or so then back up at 8. With our work schedules that was causing havoc for us. So we decided to see what happens if we just let him decide when he wants to sleep... usually in between 9 and 10pm now which is late but he will sleep through the night all the way through into the morning, usually 7 or 8 only waking up for his bottle in the middle of the night. That way we get a good night's sleep which is just as important.

With the new one though, we are going to be extra tough. Son number 1 stayed in our bed pretty much until he was 1 and we didn't really have any bedtime routines with him (still don't), but boy number 2 is going straight into his cot the moment he comes home and into a routine from the start.

Dave, my best advice to you is to just go with the flow, take each day as it comes or rather each stage of your son's development as it comes, its cliched I know but so true.

Kids are great though. I'm taking my son to London tomorrow to visit my sis and her kids for a few days, can't wait. Sadly the wife can't come because her niece and nephews are coming to stay with us for a month from Germany on Sat evening. Can't wait to see them too.
we were lucky, we got loads of hints and tips (girl 1 was the 18th child to 17 sets of parents in our circle in 18months). can't remember how old she was but we had a nightmare could of days doing "bedtime" to the point where mrs madras had to go to her mams for an hour. do the bath, the reading etc wind down then into bed, i let her cry for 5 mins then went in to reassure her but didn't pick her out, made her lie down and left her for a bit longer. it took 2 hours the first night, same the next, about an hour the next, then 5mins and sleep, great sleeper ever since. exactly the same with girl 2.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 05:54:22 AM »

Congratulations mate! :celb:
Another Mag to the flock, congrats  O0
I hope for the sake of the mother it was a C-section. That's a damn big baby. Congratulations!

Cheers guys!!

Yes, thankfully for wor lass it was a c section, quite stressful for us both and was decided it was going to happen in about 5 minutes by the doctors. She is in special care at the moment though because her blood sugars are a little bit low and she needs a little bit of help with breathing :( .

We have got the angel care Dave, heard good things about it but obviously not had chance to test it yet!

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 06:25:25 AM »
the biggest con ever played on mankind is womankind saying how hard a day with kids is.

that is absolute bollocks like, agreed when they at baby stage (but then woman has breastfeeding and s***) but as they grow up they're f***ing exhausting man...obviously depends on the kid, our daughter is very demanding for attention but in a good way, wanting to interact all the time with people
if they are exhasuting you are doing something wrong. tiring aye, I compare them to a good game of football, tiring but fun. all kids are demanding for attention, they have to be weened off the attention and taught that sometimes thay have to occupy themselves or at least can't have your 100% attention.

you may well be right about the bold, but you're also completely ignoring the fact that every set of parents and child is different plus my own personal circumstances which may demand giving more attention to the child than say someone who works a 9-5 monday to friday job and gets to see their kid every night

it's tricky to say to a 3.5 year old "f*** off and play by yourself" when you haven't seen her for a month :lol:

won't be long before she's at a proper school and doesn't want to know us anyway :sweetjesus:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
but you're also completely ignoring the fact that every set of parents and child is different

This is so true. But you forgot this when you said madras' experience was "absolute bollocks" ;)

wasn't saying his experience was bollocks, i was saying the statement "the biggest con ever played on mankind is womankind saying how hard a day with kids is" was bollocks

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
but you're also completely ignoring the fact that every set of parents and child is different

This is so true. But you forgot this when you said madras' experience was "absolute bollocks" ;)

wasn't saying his experience was bollocks, i was saying the statement "the biggest con ever played on mankind is womankind saying how hard a day with kids is" was bollocks

This
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #60 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
ok then, in my opinion and experience the way some women go on about childcare being so hard is bollocks. i'm basing it on having experience of doing both (basically for 6yrs my wife worked on my days off and evenings when i was early mornings).

also nice way to twist something, "f*** off and play by yourself" being different to starting them off with some paint or a water trough will keep them occupied for ages on their own while you get on with some housework while still being able to keep an eye on them. both my daughters loved helping with the ironing, handing me what to iron then putting it in the correct pile.

it's a con how hard it is, it's as hard as you want to make it, it can be tiring but if it exhausts you there's a problem somewehere imo.

i'm not claiming to be a superparent, most of my friends have the same experiences.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
I think Madras has it spot on there. I also think its far easier being an older dad. Ive experienced it in my 20s 30s and 40s. Deffo gets easier.

Online B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #62 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 04:24:09 PM »
Kid age has something to do with it too. Three is a fairly tough year.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #63 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
no one age is worse than the others imo, each year throws up it's individual problems.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #64 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
I think Madras has it spot on there. I also think its far easier being an older dad. Ive experienced it in my 20s 30s and 40s. Deffo gets easier.
you may have something there. didn't have girl 1 till I was 32, just wasn't ready in my 20's.

Online B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #65 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
no one age is worse than the others imo, each year throws up it's individual problems.
Sure. I just mean in terms of a fairly steady demand for attention. Generally speaking, they've got speech and gross motor skills down but aren't quite yet to the point of playing alone except for relatively short periods of time before needing attention again.

Offline Thomson Mouse

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
Congratulations to those who have had kids.

I've got 3 - 16, 9 and 7. First one boy and then two girls.

It's great when they arrive and when they grow up, but a word of warning...enjoy it whie they are young.

Once the hormones kick in.......well lets just say I've never felt like murdering someone so many times, they take selfishness levels to a new extreme.

Basically, enjoy them while their young.
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
Congratulations to those who have had kids.

I've got 3 - 16, 9 and 7. First one boy and then two girls.

It's great when they arrive and when they grow up, but a word of warning...enjoy it whie they are young.

Once the hormones kick in.......well lets just say I've never felt like murdering someone so many times, they take selfishness levels to a new extreme.

Basically, enjoy them while their young.

:lol:  aye

bimpy474

« Reply #68 on: Friday 26 July 2013, 05:49:51 PM »
Thomson Mouse is spot on like :lol:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 12:05:23 AM »
Have to say, I was pondering on here before ours was born about buying a baby monitor and I'm really happy with the one we've got (Tomy TF550). I was wondering if it would actually increase our anxiety - and I can see how it could for many people tbh - but for us it's the total opposite. :thup:

I'm really glad that bit worked out. I'm one of those who felt that it increased our anxiety (well, my wife's at least) and so we barely used ours. Definitely a case of different strokes, and glad that you found what works for you.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 03:32:04 AM »
also nice way to twist something, "f*** off and play by yourself"

:lol: howay man i was clearly just messing about

i sort of agree with what you're saying but i just think there are just people who are naturally just good at it and those who are not (and some in between of course), i'd put myself into the latter category and for a long time as a result i found it exhausting, tiring, whatever you want to call it...some other circumstances that contributed in our case as stated below, i was semi-serious though - when you're away for 30+ days at a time regularly and only at the end of a phone then you get home it's very hard not to give a toddler the attention they're looking for, trust me

Sleep now in the fire

Offline captainhaircut

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 07:13:32 AM »
When does your pregnant wife stop feeling sick and start getting horny?

Nobody tells you that you'll go from trying every night to not getting any for ages!

Offline Cheshire Mag

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 07:24:17 AM »

Nobody tells you that you'll go from trying every night to not getting any for ages!

After the first 3 months with wor lass. Make the most of it because before you know it she will be bigger than a house with pains all over and you will be back to square one again!!

Offline catmag

• General Member
  • Cat Lady
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

My friend is 7 1/2 months pregnant and has puked daily for all if it. Good luck ;)

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 27 July 2013, 11:27:48 AM »

Doggy style and a bucket.

You can thank me later.