Author Topic: Parenting stuff  (Read 83110 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: Parenting stuff
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
Washing?

Yeah, you chuck them in the washing machine. Come out like new every time. All they are is cotton or bamboo fabric squares that you put in a watertight container with tap water and a few drops of essential oil to keep them smelling fresh.

You could make you own with a sealable plastic container and a few cut up cotton tea towels tbh, but we've got the genuine jobbies.

bimpy474

« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:18:26 AM »
Not much fun when they s**** themselves aged 6, then again i'm doing it at 42.

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:27:22 AM »
Washing?

Yeah, you chuck them in the washing machine. Come out like new every time. All they are is cotton or bamboo fabric squares that you put in a watertight container with tap water and a few drops of essential oil to keep them smelling fresh.

You could make you own with a sealable plastic container and a few cut up cotton tea towels tbh, but we've got the genuine jobbies.

There you go, you learn something every day.
s*** in my washing machine doesn't appeal but I guess they've thought it through and it works OK.
I like the environment and all that, but disposable is here to stay with s*** related materials.

Hopefully I haven't too much longer to go anyway on this front (he says hopefully)  :lol:
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:36:39 AM »
Yeah it's not exactly massive chunks of s**** you're putting in so they wash easy. Once they're clean you can use them to clean owt up obviously. Been really impressed with them, such a simple idea that I wish I'd had.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 01:03:09 AM »
Aye I know. :lol:

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 02:47:02 AM »
:lol: I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I entered this thread.

Congrats all :)
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline Tisd09

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
My 5 year old is boundary pushing at the moment. I try the counting to 5 trick, a lot of the time it works but also find myself counting 1,2,3,4, 4-1/4, 4-1/2, 4-3/4 now this is your last chance 5. Once he's "lost his head" you can't reason with him at all, I've either got to completely ignore him for 20-30 mins or have an nice incentive for him for the next day to bribe him with. Frustrating to say the least.
"Now who ya gonna run to?"

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 12:51:52 PM »
My 5 year old is boundary pushing at the moment. I try the counting to 5 trick, a lot of the time it works but also find myself counting 1,2,3,4, 4-1/4, 4-1/2, 4-3/4 now this is your last chance 5. Once he's "lost his head" you can't reason with him at all, I've either got to completely ignore him for 20-30 mins or have an nice incentive for him for the next day to bribe him with. Frustrating to say the least.

Sit on him. It works  :lol:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
think you're gold dave, if you're enjoying the baby stage you're gonna love it when they start up proper

0-12 or 18 months was a bit of a dead zone for me...once they start interacting with you and get a personality though it's class...never looked back since then, before that i might as well have been looking after a sack of flour (slight exaggeration)
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

bimpy474

« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
think you're gold dave, if you're enjoying the baby stage you're gonna love it when they start up proper

0-12 or 18 months was a bit of a dead zone for me...once they start interacting with you and get a personality though it's class...never looked back since then, before that i might as well have been looking after a sack of flour (slight exaggeration)

Just wait until the first time they say "whatever, you dont know anything". You really love them then, especially the dirty look at you that follows.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 July 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
Daughter 25 mths will not sleep in this heat. Mare

Daughters 15 and 19 yrs. Mare

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 12:59:36 AM »
6 weeks off :(

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:05:24 AM »
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:06:13 AM »
tell him what will happen after you've counted to 5, then count, then carry out the threat. if you make a threat you have to carry it out. obviously don't start with throwing out the DS. make it a dipensable book or something, just enough that he knows that sooner or later it will be something he cares about and you will do it.

with kids (anyone really) threats are pointless if those receiving them don't think they'll be carried out.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
You mean six weeks without having him? If so, that's rough.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:09:41 AM »

I really enjoyed the baby stage, possibly because i thought that would be the struggle and it wasn't really. they do interact and have their own personalities much earlier than you say. however i really feel sorry for some dads who dont get much time with their kids, not just the weekend dads but those who work 9 to 5 so really only see their kids for an hour or two till weekends by which time the child is becoming so much more attached to the mother.

the biggest con ever played on mankind is womankind saying how hard a day with kids is.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:19:01 AM »
6 week holidays of him needing attention all the time. Hasn't quite mastered chilling the f*** out and getting on with s*** on your own. He's getting better but Jesus man, just sit still for 5mins.

:lol:

Na, we had good fun last summer, sure this'll be similar, want to take him camping for a few days early August back up in Silith, think hell love that with my friends kids. His birthday this weekend so he'll be bouncing, the big 7, finally gets a 3ds.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 01:34:22 AM »
Ah, that's worse than what I thought you meant. :lol:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 July 2013, 06:54:40 AM »
the biggest con ever played on mankind is womankind saying how hard a day with kids is.

that is absolute bollocks like, agreed when they at baby stage (but then woman has breastfeeding and s***) but as they grow up they're f***ing exhausting man...obviously depends on the kid, our daughter is very demanding for attention but in a good way, wanting to interact all the time with people
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 06:33:12 PM »

that is absolute bollocks like, agreed when they at baby stage (but then woman has breastfeeding and s***) but as they grow up they're f***ing exhausting man...obviously depends on the kid, our daughter is very demanding for attention but in a good way, wanting to interact all the time with people
if they are exhasuting you are doing something wrong. tiring aye, I compare them to a good game of football, tiring but fun. all kids are demanding for attention, they have to be weened off the attention and taught that sometimes thay have to occupy themselves or at least can't have your 100% attention.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
We've sort of given up on getting our son into a sleeping/bedtime routine for the time being. For a month solid we were getting him fed at 6, bathed at 6.30 then bed at 7. For that month, he would fall asleep in between 7 and 8 but he'd get up at 2 and be wide awake until 5 or so then back up at 8. With our work schedules that was causing havoc for us. So we decided to see what happens if we just let him decide when he wants to sleep... usually in between 9 and 10pm now which is late but he will sleep through the night all the way through into the morning, usually 7 or 8 only waking up for his bottle in the middle of the night. That way we get a good night's sleep which is just as important.

With the new one though, we are going to be extra tough. Son number 1 stayed in our bed pretty much until he was 1 and we didn't really have any bedtime routines with him (still don't), but boy number 2 is going straight into his cot the moment he comes home and into a routine from the start.

Dave, my best advice to you is to just go with the flow, take each day as it comes or rather each stage of your son's development as it comes, its cliched I know but so true.

Kids are great though. I'm taking my son to London tomorrow to visit my sis and her kids for a few days, can't wait. Sadly the wife can't come because her niece and nephews are coming to stay with us for a month from Germany on Sat evening. Can't wait to see them too.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
We've sort of given up on getting our son into a sleeping/bedtime routine for the time being. For a month solid we were getting him fed at 6, bathed at 6.30 then bed at 7. For that month, he would fall asleep in between 7 and 8 but he'd get up at 2 and be wide awake until 5 or so then back up at 8. With our work schedules that was causing havoc for us. So we decided to see what happens if we just let him decide when he wants to sleep... usually in between 9 and 10pm now which is late but he will sleep through the night all the way through into the morning, usually 7 or 8 only waking up for his bottle in the middle of the night. That way we get a good night's sleep which is just as important.

With the new one though, we are going to be extra tough. Son number 1 stayed in our bed pretty much until he was 1 and we didn't really have any bedtime routines with him (still don't), but boy number 2 is going straight into his cot the moment he comes home and into a routine from the start.

Dave, my best advice to you is to just go with the flow, take each day as it comes or rather each stage of your son's development as it comes, its cliched I know but so true.

Kids are great though. I'm taking my son to London tomorrow to visit my sis and her kids for a few days, can't wait. Sadly the wife can't come because her niece and nephews are coming to stay with us for a month from Germany on Sat evening. Can't wait to see them too.

:thup: Must be good to get him away from the stench of p*ss for a while. Breathe in that country fresh London air.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
My son doesn't bother me but can bother his mam when they are alone together. He will happily play with his cars or other toys for ages and not bother me but he can be quite clingy with his man and demanding of her attention and time.

Once you get over the culture shock of having to get up at daft oclock to deal with them, their crying which can make you want to cry and the shitty nappies etc. kids are a doddle to deal with.

That said, when my son was only a few months old part of me longed for when he could walk, talk etc. as I foolishly believed things would be easier... oh how wrong was I. When he couldn't walk or talk it was all about feeding, burping, shitting, getting up etc. now you have to have eyes in the back and sides of your head.

I swear, I could put all his toys in the bathroom and he will ignore every single one of them and seek out the bleach, or the talc or the soap or any other hazardous thing.

Its amazing seeing them learn and develop though. He loves this thing on baby tv called charlie and the numbers game/party and now he can count to 10 based on that even though I doubt he has a clue what numbers actually mean.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 07:13:38 PM »

:thup: Must be good to get him away from the stench of p*ss for a while. Breathe in that country fresh London air.

:lol:

Too right!

Offline Weezertron

• General Member
  • I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum. NE12.
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 25 July 2013, 07:55:57 PM »
My brother has 4 kids, 2 each gender. And I swear 1, if not 2, are working for evil. I mean, you have to love them and that, but.... moving across the atlantic has been a blessing. I get FB friend requests of the worst one all the time, not happening.

If you manage to raise nice kids I have huge admiration for you.