Author Topic: Parenting stuff  (Read 98479 times)

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
Re: Parenting stuff
« Reply #2025 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 01:13:29 PM »
Bollocks.  Pop it out and learn from there, nothing in the books helps much.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #2026 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 01:21:11 PM »
Very much the way I'd prefer to do it but my wife thinks I'm emotionally detached from the pregnancy. :lol: In reality every scan just seems to lead into the next one in which they'll check for something being wrong so I'm just living in fear until the baby comes. :lol:

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #2027 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 01:27:20 PM »
Did any of you read any baby books when your other half was expecting?

Kinda but that all went out the window when a new human actually arrives and you end up winging it whilst trying to pretend you know what you're doing. Eldest now 7 and youngest nearly 4 and I'm still winging it. Seems to be working.

Ps the first 2 - 3 years are howling.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #2028 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:18:47 PM »
Didn't read s***.

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Sleestak 2020
« Reply #2029 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
Occasionally check What to Expect When You're Expecting so you can annoy coworkers with regular updates on fetus size.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #2030 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:24:42 PM »
Just make it up, they won't know or care.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #2031 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Occasionally check What to Expect When You're Expecting so you can annoy coworkers with regular updates on fetus size.

Nah. There are apps for that and the missus is sure to have already told him. Death to books.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #2032 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:29:18 PM »
Had a brilliant wee book for my first, sort of done in a weird way. Like it was a manual, and the baby was a car or something. Couldn't find it for my second, then just had the internet.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #2033 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:36:37 PM »
this guy?

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Owners-Manual-Instructions-Trouble-Shooting/dp/1594745978

I asked for that for xmas pre-baby and nee f***er got it for me :lol:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2034 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
Dammit where was that when I needed it? I've f***ed them up now.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2035 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 04:31:41 PM »
this guy?

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Owners-Manual-Instructions-Trouble-Shooting/dp/1594745978

I asked for that for xmas pre-baby and nee f***er got it for me :lol:

Ah wow, you've no idea how long I tried to find that. Through the whole pregnancy, and well into the first year. :lol:

Even though it's too late, you're a bloody legend. :thup:

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm unsure how I couldn't find it, 'baby manual' seems so obvious now, but there we go. :lol:
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2036 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 07:49:29 PM »
I read the Expectant Father. It was a bit America-centric but a decent enough read.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #2037 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 08:19:20 PM »
Read toxic childhood.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline gdm

• General Member
« Reply #2038 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 09:31:21 PM »
Very much the way I'd prefer to do it but my wife thinks I'm emotionally detached from the pregnancy. :lol: In reality every scan just seems to lead into the next one in which they'll check for something being wrong so I'm just living in fear until the baby comes. :lol:

This was my last 9 months. We had over 20 scans and every one was terrifying. I rarely spoke about the pregnancy

Offline gdm

• General Member
« Reply #2039 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 09:35:03 PM »
Not really sure what a book would tell you. My first daughter who’s 9 next week would scream all day and all night coz we found out later she had colic. Also the slightest noise would wake her up and she’d rarely nap. Our 2nd daughter is two weeks old today and she loves a sleep, hoovered the whole house today and slept right thru it. Both kids radically different so far

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2040 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 09:49:05 PM »
I found the book just filled in gaps in knowledge, helped you improve on things you already kind of know but may have not done right or lacked confidence that you were right. It's better than solely relying on the net, because you're essentially cherry picking things to find out rather than taking in a range of knowledge. And as you point out, the experience is not always the same, so a book may cover both differences, a wider range.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2041 on: Friday 7 February 2020, 01:23:13 AM »
I found I sort of dipped into the book(s) if there was a particular thing I was concerned about. They were useful with checklists (what should you have at home) and just to give yourself enough of a vague level of unease/terror to step up your game.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #2042 on: Friday 7 February 2020, 06:32:22 AM »

This was my last 9 months. We had over 20 scans and every one was terrifying. I rarely spoke about the pregnancy

Aye read your posts. Delighted for you at the end of the day. Our next scan is the 11th of March in which they'll check for abnormalities etc. Seems to be every scan you have they tell you there's another one where they'll check for abnormalities. :lol:

I generally don't speak about the pregnancy unless I'm asked, but I'm obviously over the moon like. Just scared. :lol:

Offline gdm

• General Member
« Reply #2043 on: Friday 7 February 2020, 08:05:00 AM »

Aye read your posts. Delighted for you at the end of the day. Our next scan is the 11th of March in which they'll check for abnormalities etc. Seems to be every scan you have they tell you there's another one where they'll check for abnormalities. :lol:

I generally don't speak about the pregnancy unless I'm asked, but I'm obviously over the moon like. Just scared. :lol:

I get it 100% when is the baby due?

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #2044 on: Friday 7 February 2020, 09:01:39 AM »
27th July at the moment.

Offline gdm

• General Member
« Reply #2045 on: Friday 7 February 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
27th July at the moment.

Will fly in, goes without saying Hope everything goes ok mate.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2046 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 09:10:02 PM »
Was introduced to this recently:

Apparently people of older generations are more likely to have grown up with a "fixed mindset". It has many interesting and valid points, but also seems a bit extreme. I don't think, for example, you should embrace failure as though you have, and always will have, infinite bites of a given cherry.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2047 on: Thursday 19 March 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
What do I do with these kids

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #2048 on: Thursday 19 March 2020, 10:33:35 PM »

:lol: I feel like me and the wife are just taking turns to hide when we’re both at home.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
« Reply #2049 on: Thursday 19 March 2020, 10:50:01 PM »

Are they still up? :lol: