Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 34297 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #475 on: Tuesday 21 March 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
Looking to leave Virgin and look elsewhere for Broadband, got over 200meg but the wifi is shocking and im paying 50 quid a month just for Net + Phone which hasn't been used in the 2 years ive been with them. Heard mixed things about the likes of BT and Sky so any recommendations would be appreciated. Looked on the likes of Uswitch and all thats looking tempting in terms of Speed and price are BT Virgin and Sky.

The wifi will practically be the same on others.  They all use basically the same cheapish hardware.

Offline NJS

• General Member
« Reply #476 on: Tuesday 21 March 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
Looking to leave Virgin and look elsewhere for Broadband, got over 200meg but the wifi is shocking and im paying 50 quid a month just for Net + Phone which hasn't been used in the 2 years ive been with them. Heard mixed things about the likes of BT and Sky so any recommendations would be appreciated. Looked on the likes of Uswitch and all thats looking tempting in terms of Speed and price are BT Virgin and Sky.
Put your "router" in modem mode and buy a proper WiFi router.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #477 on: Thursday 20 April 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
I'm not sure how true this is and someone on here will probably know a lot more than me but I heard today that Sky are going to offer all existing customers a deal on a new Q box.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline sempuki

• General Member
  • All is lost.
« Reply #478 on: Sunday 23 April 2017, 11:57:31 PM »

Online Ketsbaia

• General Member
« Reply #479 on: Friday 26 May 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
Just getting my head around the different speeds and numbers of getting broadband. Should 17 Mbps cover a two-person flat, with regular Netflix usage and other streaming?

Apparently Zen are good but I'm always nervous about smaller providers.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #480 on: Friday 26 May 2017, 01:05:05 PM »
Just getting my head around the different speeds and numbers of getting broadband. Should 17 Mbps cover a two-person flat, with regular Netflix usage and other streaming?

Yes but 17mbps is what if call snail pace our days.  I'm getting close to 100mbps on virgin and on their smallest package.

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #481 on: Friday 26 May 2017, 01:12:11 PM »

Could put you in touch with with my cousins company, think he does VPN's and such as well.
https://www.call27.net

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• General Member
  • Absolute C***
« Reply #482 on: Friday 26 May 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

Yes but 17mbps is what if call snail pace our days.  I'm getting close to 100mbps on virgin and on their smallest package.

17mbps will be fine for Netflix.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #483 on: Friday 26 May 2017, 06:07:04 PM »

17mbps will be fine for Netflix.
I said that.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #484 on: Thursday 1 June 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
Looks like leaving Sky, I've been with them since 1991 (in one form or another) and my bill goes up to £120 a month next month for everything apart from movies and bt sport, I've just been offered virgin media VIP with movies and bt sport for £80 a month with no installation fee or activation fee and £50 off my first bill , I rang sky to tell them and they didn't even offer me a deal they just said OK no problem
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #485 on: Thursday 1 June 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
I did similar, Chopey. Left it for a bit and they offered something measely straight after hanging up the phone. Then eventually not long before quitting time. They did it for half price.

Got a similar full cost on my package and had it down to £50 odd a month last year and just over £60 now.

I read if you wait longer or let it cancel and sign back up. You can get even better deals. But I couldn't be arsed with the hassle. I think I'll eventually end up getting BT, mind. As I doubt it will go on forever.

Offline Crumpy Gunt

• General Member
  • www.ajhsom.co.uk
« Reply #486 on: Thursday 1 June 2017, 10:46:07 PM »
Now this card sharing malarkey has ended will SKY do any intro offers? Just want sports - no net or phone.

Offline Belfast Boy

• General Member
« Reply #487 on: Thursday 22 June 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
We had our house up for sale as we are having to downsize. Got an offer on Monday and everything is being rushed through as the offer is conditional on them moving in at the end of the month. Long story short, we are staying with in laws for a couple of months until we have a new place sorted. Currently have a BT contract till Feb 18 and they are saying only two choices. Transfer a line into temporary address (ie relatives house will have a second line fitted) or pay £491 to cancel the contract. That's more than the 8 months of £51 left on the contract. Bloody madness!!

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #488 on: Thursday 22 June 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Now this card sharing malarkey has ended will SKY do any intro offers? Just want sports - no net or phone.

Not just worth getting Now TV for that ?

Online Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #489 on: Thursday 22 June 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
We had our house up for sale as we are having to downsize. Got an offer on Monday and everything is being rushed through as the offer is conditional on them moving in at the end of the month. Long story short, we are staying with in laws for a couple of months until we have a new place sorted. Currently have a BT contract till Feb 18 and they are saying only two choices. Transfer a line into temporary address (ie relatives house will have a second line fitted) or pay £491 to cancel the contract. That's more than the 8 months of £51 left on the contract. Bloody madness!!
You are allowed to buy out the remainder of your contract for it's original price. It's law.

Offline neesy111

• General Member

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #491 on: Tuesday 27 June 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

About time.

Definitely interested if I can buy just football, especially through Now TV or another online channel.

Offline sempuki

• General Member
  • All is lost.
« Reply #492 on: Tuesday 27 June 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
I bet they don't put SSN on the new Sky Football channel or whatever it's called.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: Tuesday 27 June 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
I bet they don't put SSN on the new Sky Football channel or whatever it's called.

You don't even need Sky Sports for SSN at the moment, can't see that changing.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline STM

• General Member
« Reply #495 on: Monday 31 July 2017, 03:11:43 PM »
Rang sky up and they offered me a sky Q box for 20 quid, with no monthly charge. So i went for it. What's the catch here?
Sir Bobby Robson: “What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #496 on: Monday 31 July 2017, 08:55:51 PM »
The box is utter gash, or at least that's what I've heard. It suffers from the same horrible slow UI experience as the Virgin Tivo.

Online samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #497 on: Monday 31 July 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
Don't have Sky at the min. Got a password for BT Sport off pal, so watch that on laptop. I have Talk Talk internet, paying £25.00 a month, ordered a Talk Talk TV box, and it costs £8.50 a month for all the Sky Sports channels. Paying £33.50 all in for 18 months.

Canny deal. Pretty happy with it. Delivered Thursday, so perfect timing for new season.

Offline henke

• General Member
« Reply #498 on: Monday 31 July 2017, 10:42:12 PM »
Rang sky up and they offered me a sky Q box for 20 quid, with no monthly charge. So i went for it. What's the catch here?

We got offered an upgrade to fibre broadband if we to had a Q box installed, same monthly fee. My reaction was the same, what's the catch.

As always sky f***ed up and we were without internet for a week, when they did the wiring mod they connected the wrong house!

Once you get used to the new box it's fine, we've had no problems. Only issue is the router is garbage.

Offline Crumpy Gunt

• General Member
  • www.ajhsom.co.uk
« Reply #499 on: Tuesday 1 August 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
Well, after the cardsharing finished  I've went over to IPTV. Paid £50 for a year subscription. It's been decent so far tbf. Had a little bit down time as they upgrade etc. But the biggest test will be when the premier league kicks off and everyone piles into the 3pm KO. Loads of Vod as well.