Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 34288 times)

Offline Mick

• General Member
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday 29 June 2016, 01:19:43 AM »
Glad you sorted anyway. For a refund issue it should never have been as long as it was.

It wasn't just the refund, I kept getting e-mails telling me how they were going to be improving my service.  Even the bloke at the call centre said that so I told him to take that up with Virgin Media as BT shouldn't have been making promises on their behalf and the penny still didn't drop.  :lol:
"Hello, Bobby," he once greeted his England captain, Bryan Robson.

"I'm Bryan," the skipper replied. "You're Bobby."

Offline Crumpy Gunt

• General Member
  • www.ajhsom.co.uk
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday 29 June 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
Anyone using Post Office for broadband?

Any good?

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday 29 June 2016, 01:37:52 PM »

Any good?
I don't trust the f***ers to send my letter, let alone provide me with broadband.

Offline Sho'Time

• General Member
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday 29 June 2016, 02:23:05 PM »

Any good?

No.

Offline Crumpy Gunt

• General Member
  • www.ajhsom.co.uk
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday 29 June 2016, 06:23:59 PM »

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #330 on: Thursday 30 June 2016, 12:39:20 AM »
When we went to London you were on 02 and had 4g on the train and across London, I had 3G in patches and it was unreliable.

Sounds like a class trip.
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline TaylorJ_01

• General Member
  • Nearly funniest poster 2015
« Reply #331 on: Thursday 30 June 2016, 12:40:06 AM »

Any good?

No.

you use it? And its s****?

Post Office do broadband? Presumably it's just rented BT lines? Post Office broadband :lol: sounds like one of those "yer da sells avon" slaggings. "you huv post office broadband".
I am currently happy. Its weekend. Time to unwind after a stressful work days.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #332 on: Thursday 30 June 2016, 01:17:33 AM »
:lol: :lol:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

firetotheworks

« Reply #333 on: Thursday 30 June 2016, 01:45:55 AM »
:lol: Aye, I f***ing love those. Remember 'the council does your hair'? :lol: Totally forgot about that one.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #334 on: Thursday 30 June 2016, 06:47:50 AM »
NHS glasses.

Pua nashas them like.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #335 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
I was talking to the Sky bloke in Eldon square on Friday and after a lot of hot air and bluster he offered me sky q silver for £60 installation and £8 a month extra on my bill all I need now is a new £700 telly and I'm set, does anyone have sky q that could give me advice on whether it's worth it
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #336 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 09:17:16 AM »
I was talking to the Sky bloke in Eldon square on Friday and after a lot of hot air and bluster he offered me sky q silver for £60 installation and £8 a month extra on my bill all I need now is a new £700 telly and I'm set, does anyone have sky q that could give me advice on whether it's worth it
I've not heard this direct but apparently it is slow to operate, I.E worse than Virgin's TiVo before the update. Apparently until it's fixed Sky arn't trying to push it as much as they normally would.

I find it shocking Sky are charging £8 more month for a box that basically has 4 tuners on it. Sky haven't even launched 4K content yet for it to even be worthwhile getting.

Just an unrelated question, are Sky still charging more for HD?

Offline LFEE

• General Member
« Reply #337 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 09:58:01 AM »
I've not heard this direct but apparently it is slow to operate, I.E worse than Virgin's TiVo before the update. Apparently until it's fixed Sky arn't trying to push it as much as they normally would.

I find it shocking Sky are charging £8 more month for a box that basically has 4 tuners on it. Sky haven't even launched 4K content yet for it to even be worthwhile getting.

Yes they are still charging for HD which is only 1080i though (again from Sky bloke in Eldon Square) i did manage to find out that the Sky Q box offers 1080p also. The only problem is I can't buy a Sky Q box as they are using the Virgin model of hiring the box out now and with it they maintain it if it breaks as part of the deal.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #338 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 10:45:26 AM »

Yes they are still charging for HD which is only 1080i though (again from Sky bloke in Eldon Square) i did manage to find out that the Sky Q box offers 1080p also. The only problem is I can't buy a Sky Q box as they are using the Virgin model of hiring the box out now and with it they maintain it if it breaks as part of the deal.
If you had a Sky+ box and stopped your subscription to Sky then they would disable the + features of the box unless you paid a + only subscription fee. Hiring a box is better, the amount of times Sky sent out updates that f***ed their boxes once it was 'yours' was beyond belief, they did the same for the internet modem. One of the reasons why we left Sky was that as soon as the box was ours or we decided to cancel the box insurance policy it would start to have problems and they would try to bill is for sending someone out, it happens to our modem once as well. As a result we pulled the phone line cord out of the box then they started billing us for that. Sky is f***ing con.

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #339 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 11:13:54 AM »

I've used it, it's certainly not slow, very responsive as you would expect from Sky

It's more than just 4 tuners, whether you see value in it is a different matter BUT it does more than Sky+

Also you might have missed the news BUT 4K (or rather UHD) launches shortly, every premier league game will be broadcast in UHD, a number of movies will also be UHD (available On Demand too) and documentaries. From next season every F1 race will be UHD too so there is going to be plenty of content

As for HD, they charge extra for Sports HD, the Movies (now Sky Cinema) have HD included at no extra cost

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #340 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
What's your current set up? Do you have more than one box?

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #341 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
Aye I have 1 extra box on multi room with all the sports and movies along with broadband and phone I pay £71 a month

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #342 on: Sunday 24 July 2016, 12:31:17 PM »
Aye I have 1 extra box on multi room with all the sports and movies along with broadband and phone I pay £71 a month
So the benefits (whether you see it as a benefit is a different matter) are

1) Being able to record 4 channels and watch a 5th, handy if you currently have recording clashes

2) UHD, which as I previously mentioned launches with the new season and it will broadcast every premier league game along with a number of movies

3) Shared planner, some see this as a negative BUT I personally like the idea, I series link stuff on my main box currently BUT not always on the second box, so it's annoying if I ever wanted to watch motd or other things on the second box. However you might not like the idea of both boxes sharing a planner, which for people in house shares is a big no, no

4) Take your recordings with you, although Sky Go is good, sometimes you have recorded something that is not available on demand that you want to take out and about with you

5) Mini Box is flexible, it's connected to the main box by wifi and not through cables so you can easily move it about, both of my boxes are currently downstairs, however occasionally I would like to be able to watch Sky upstairs, with the Sky Q setup I would be able to do that without too much fuss

My Sky Q gets installed a week on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it as the above features will be of benefit to me

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #343 on: Saturday 6 August 2016, 08:06:45 PM »
Has anyone noticed the picture quality on ssn HD seems to have dropped considerably? Looks standard definition at times
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #344 on: Saturday 6 August 2016, 08:54:18 PM »
Has anyone noticed the picture quality on ssn HD seems to have dropped considerably? Looks standard definition at times
On Sky or Virgin?

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #345 on: Saturday 6 August 2016, 09:24:10 PM »
Virgin

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
« Reply #346 on: Saturday 6 August 2016, 10:16:15 PM »
Virgin
Nah, sometimes the yellow ticker stutters. They have changed channels recently, you sure you're on HD?

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #347 on: Sunday 7 August 2016, 05:09:58 PM »
Yes mate,  I'm absolutely certain. 

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #348 on: Sunday 7 August 2016, 06:48:26 PM »

1) Being able to record 4 channels and watch a 5th, handy if you currently have recording clashes

2) UHD, which as I previously mentioned launches with the new season and it will broadcast every premier league game along with a number of movies

3) Shared planner, some see this as a negative BUT I personally like the idea, I series link stuff on my main box currently BUT not always on the second box, so it's annoying if I ever wanted to watch motd or other things on the second box. However you might not like the idea of both boxes sharing a planner, which for people in house shares is a big no, no

4) Take your recordings with you, although Sky Go is good, sometimes you have recorded something that is not available on demand that you want to take out and about with you

5) Mini Box is flexible, it's connected to the main box by wifi and not through cables so you can easily move it about, both of my boxes are currently downstairs, however occasionally I would like to be able to watch Sky upstairs, with the Sky Q setup I would be able to do that without too much fuss

My Sky Q gets installed a week on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it as the above features will be of benefit to me

Did you get Sky Q installed ? if so is it any good?

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #349 on: Sunday 7 August 2016, 07:06:33 PM »

Did you get Sky Q installed ? if so is it any good?

Aye, got it last week, I'm really liking it

On the face of it the changes are subtle BUT in a good way

Of the things I listed it is the UHD and shared planner that I have used

The UHD just had trial content BUT it's class, there was a documentary about Cats and also the Liverpool-Barca match, the film they have is Forest Gump, can't say I massively noticed a huge difference with that BUT expect the newer films to benefit from it

Still haven't had a chance to use the app or move the mini box around