Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 33610 times)

Offline Leazes1986

• General Member
Sky, Virgin or BT?
« on: Sunday 16 June 2013, 10:16:38 PM »
Just been looking through bills and trying to get some of them down per month. I've currently got Sky tv, broadband which I think I pay £75-76ish per month for. I think it breaks down roughly £55 for Entertainment extra, Sports and Movites, £14 line rental and £7.50 broadband. I don't want to lose any of these as I watch loads of football and movies throughout the year, but im sick of paying so much. Are BT or Virgin any cheaper? Does anyone have any recommendations? I've considered ringing Sky up and telling them I'm leaving to go elsewhere to try and get a better deal. Has anyone had any success with Sky offering discount after threats to leave lately?

Alan Shearer:

404 games for Newcastle - 206 goals
63 Caps for England - 30 goals
733 career games - 379 goals
Newcastle's all time leading goalscorer
Ended his career by scoring against the scum in a 4-1 win
Turned Man United down, but lived the dream Alan Shearer=TRUE LEGEND

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 2013, 10:17:13 PM »
Sky is a pure rip, and muggins here continues to bow down to them.
Consider winning

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
I cancelled Sky last year, didn't get any offers

My brother cancelled and got a good offer

It's very hit and miss whether you get given a offer

If you still want all the channels then BT isn't worth it since BT Vision is crap and the Phone/BB is expensive

For the equivalent see what Virgin can do it for and take that price to Sky

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy scarer of dogs
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 01:03:53 AM »
We moved to Virgin 18 months ago and haven't looked back.

Our BT line could only get 1MB at most and with no fibre optics line from them coming anytime soon, also Sky goes out in bad weather and there is nothing they can do about it or give you refunds.

Now we have super fast internet, TV when the weather is bad (when you really need it), better OnDemand, also since we are with them for our phone as well we save a lot of money having our services all with them. I don't think we will ever move back to either BT or Sky.

Also it's worth noting that if you have a Sky box after the first year you are out on your own, it fails you have to buy a new one (£300), signal issued then you have to pay for an engineer to come around (unless you pay their rip off insurance service). With Virgin Media as they own the box they will send someone out to fix it free of charge.

Offline Toondave

• General Member
  • There's a little bit of Toondave in all of us
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:33:04 AM »
funny I see this thread just after getting the internet back on after it being off for about 30mins. it does this most nights around this time between 5mins to 1hr. had engineers out, at great cost we replaced the box(twice) and he had a look at the wiring but I dont think he did much, if anything. still no joy and they said it was a problem with the line so you have to get BT out. bt engineer comes out and says he doesnt know why he's here, this happens often with sky they get a bt engineer out but dont tell them anything, he looks around and works out its skys fault who just deny it. Will be moving to virgin as soon as the tivo is available for us

BELIEVE IN BETTER - not hard

Offline Leazes1986

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 10:06:22 AM »
I'll have a look at what Virgin have to offer. I'm not unhappy with what Sky offer though, the tv and broadband have been mostly reliable, its just the price. I can't see Virgin being any cheaper though.

Alan Shearer:

Offline Skirge

• General Member
  • They Will Never Take My Cabaye
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 11:23:41 AM »
VM is the best option, purely for their much superior broadband service

Offline Crumpy Gunt

• General Member
  • www.ajhsom.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 11:29:37 AM »
Just been looking through bills and trying to get some of them down per month. I've currently got Sky tv, broadband which I think I pay £75-76ish per month for. I think it breaks down roughly £55 for Entertainment extra, Sports and Movites, £14 line rental and £7.50 broadband. I don't want to lose any of these as I watch loads of football and movies throughout the year, but im sick of paying so much. Are BT or Virgin any cheaper? Does anyone have any recommendations? I've considered ringing Sky up and telling them I'm leaving to go elsewhere to try and get a better deal. Has anyone had any success with Sky offering discount after threats to leave lately?
Cancel movies. Not a single movie on SKY can't be acquired by other means with consummate ease.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
Sky are dicks...
We have no movies or sports and we still pay 70 odd quid a month.

« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I have had Virgin for years and can't imagine a better broadband service. People say their customer service is poor, but I've never had reason to call. I'm not going to find a better connection than the unlimited fibre optic VM have offered for years.

Their TV options don't seem as good as the competitors, Sky's On demand has Sky channels in addition to those VM's On demand service offers. Not that I'd ever watch much on a Sky channel. And that new Sports channel with BT seems decent.

TiVo looks good with VM, but obviously out of the 3 VM is the only one without their own TV channels. So that's where it'll fall down in comparison to be honest. Not that I care, i can watch any TV channel on my very good VM connection any time I like. Wins it for me. Plus Sky and BT are c***s.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Ishmael

• General Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 01:27:43 PM »
EE home phone (free evening and weekend calls), unlimited broadband and mobile phone contract (S3, unlimited text, 2000 minutes): £45pm
Netflix: £5
Everything else, the internet.

Do that.

Offline Wilson

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • The Mike, The.
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
I'm on virgin with largest tv package, their 'middle' speed broadband (which is easily fast enough for us anyway) £55 quid.  Literally just took Sky sports off as well as I wont be watching it till the seasons back....was paying £87 with SS.  £32 for SS HD, and only SS1 and 2 are in HD. 

Very much doubt you'll get all channels, sports and movies for less than you're paying now.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:18:52 PM »
Talk Talk have quite a cheap TV deal at the moment, and they have 'boosts' for things like Sky Sports. I'm looking into how much it is at the moment, I already have their BB.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
We're on Virgin Media and currently paying £64 for 6 months, then about £88 from then on, for XL TV + Sky Sports, up to 60mb Broadband and M Phone Package.

As said above, I'd be very surprised if you could get a package with Sports and Movies for less than you currently pay.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Update - Talk Talk comes to about £60 if you add Sky Sports. No movies or anything.

icemanblue

« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:31:04 PM »
Interesting. HD Sky Sports, or just standard fuzzyvision?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 02:35:47 PM »
Normal I guess. Still probably the cheapest way.

I have thought of setting myself a limit of, say, £40 a month, and just getting the four best games via Now TV on pay as you go basis. Although I would probably just end up illegally streaming them TBH.

Offline Leazes1986

• General Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
Doesn't seem like i'll get a better deal without downgrading then from what im hearing from people. I've half considered losing the films like but I only agreed to get them in the first place as a compromise with her cos i've got the sports in  :lol: Pay £7 a month I think for the films, which i've never really thought of as too bad considering it costs more to see one film at the pictures (yes I know its loads of repeated old films).

Alan Shearer:

Offline Spider Jerusalem

• General Member
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 June 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
Had Virgin broadband for the past ten years and Sky until last year for the TV after around a year of promising to bin them.  Gave Rupert Murdoch as the reason for giving it up and didn't get put on to retentions for some reason.  Still get various offers, free sport half price everything else for  6 months, and all that but have no intention to go back.

Seriously thinking of peddling my Virgin TV at the moment (I've just whispered that in case they're listening).  It's gone up exponentially since I got it installed and all I really watch is Dave and the Comedy Channel now.  All I need to do is attach a HDD to my TV and I've got an HD PVR so don't think I'll be missing out.
I Hate It Here.  That's Why I Keep Coming Back.

Offline Geordie Ahmed

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 01:00:36 AM »

I have thought of setting myself a limit of, say, £40 a month, and just getting the four best games via Now TV on pay as you go basis. Although I would probably just end up illegally streaming them TBH.

With TalkTalk last I checked you can't record/record etc the boost channels, not sure if that has changed since

Offline Ishmael

• General Member
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 07:31:46 AM »

Why would you willingly pay £10 per game?  That £40 could be part of a large investment that provided you with a much better/larger service.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 09:30:21 AM »

Why would you willingly pay £10 per game?  That £40 could be part of a large investment that provided you with a much better/larger service.

Because all I watch on TV is free channels and football. And there's no cheap way to get Sky Sports without paying for loads of stuff you don't need/want.

Offline Coco

• General Member
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 11:28:24 AM »

Because all I watch on TV is free channels and football. And there's no cheap way to get Sky Sports without paying for loads of stuff you don't need/want.

:yao:
C won't believe us. But this is classic him.

CLASSIC Coco.

Offline GuyP

• General Member
  • Mr Mojo Risin.
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
Im considering just getting ESPN next year but not sure how it all works with the BT thing? I could just get on freeview no?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 June 2013, 11:45:23 AM »

:yao:

What's that for?