Author Topic: Sky, Virgin or BT?  (Read 33611 times)

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
Re: Sky, Virgin or BT?
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 03:20:04 PM »
My flat is only a six month tenancy, if I was to get broadband on a year's contract what happens if I move elsewhere after six months?

You in yet?
Consider winning

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Aye, moved in last Saturday.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
I'm getting rid of both the movie channels and the sports channels tonight as I just don't watch them at all.  Wonder how much that will save me.

Offline ian

• General Member
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 03:35:14 PM »
BT gave me standard TV sports for free....don't know exactly what I get though.

Offline Kevo

• General Member
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
I'm with Sky but only because an old school friend gave me 50% off code. I pay about £76/77 a month for their biggest package, unlimited broadband and line rental.

Will be going down to their smallest, cheapest package once my 12 months is up as I have an Android box with all sports/movies/box sets etc and its amazing.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 04:20:03 PM »
That's the same as me. I use kodi on my tablet though, instead of an android box.

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
Massive bump of an old thread. Right, I've just completed on my new house, gradually moving in, and I'm weighing up which ISP to go with. The place doesn't have access to Virin Media, which would have been my first port of call. Any reccomendations? I'll be using it pretty heavily for... uh... 'Usenet Binaries', so I can't have any bullshit download cap or low Fair Usage limit. Cheers :)

I too spend a lot of time downloading, errr, usenet binaries. They're all linux distros! Honest!

I used to be with Zen, for the best part of 10 years, mostly because, although they were expensive, their service was so good and their support top notch.

Decided last year I couldn't justify the extra expense any more, so went to Plus Net, 76 mbs fibre (which is the same as I was getting under Zen, basically, the same product) except with no usage limits.

I managed to get that, plus phone package, capped at 25 quid total for the first 9 months, and also managed to get a £105 cashback refund by ordering it through Quidco.

So far (six months or so), service pretty much rock solid. No problems at all, speed exactly as it was with Zen (almost the full 76 mbs).
Well focus on the quasar in the mist, the Kaiser has a cyst

Offline brummie

• General Member
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 04:48:19 PM »
Oh and in a further reflection of increasing financial concerns, I realised 71 quid a month for our Sky subs was f***ing insane and binned the sports and movies. Went down to the £21.50 package.

I now use a combination of a dodgy, but excellent, sports feeds supplier and an Amazon Fire TV box for my sports watching.
Well focus on the quasar in the mist, the Kaiser has a cyst

Offline biggs

• General Member
  • Every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
Virgin have BT sport for free on all the packages atm and 6 months free netflix ,just left Talkshite and Sky and now have 152mb fibre and Tivo plus managed to haggle and got extra HD+ box on multiroom with no fee for eva  O0

Online Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 06:13:56 PM »
BT give you BT Sport for free when you order their broadband.

Online TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 07:46:36 PM »
I've just cancelled my Sky package after about 8 yrs. Was paying £60 for the family pack with HD, Talk Weekends and Unlimited BB.

Rang them to cancel (and see what they'd offer me to stay), and the best offer they could make me was 10 months at £42.50 if I re-contracted for another year.

So I went through with the cancellation and have placed an order for Virgin Media 'Big Kahuna' bundle. That has almost the same channel line-up as the Sky family pack but with free BT Sport, Weekend calls, and Fibre BB (up to 152mb) - 18 month min. term... £49 for first year, then £65 for remaining 6 months.

Been toying with idea of Cable for a while, but the price of my Sky package was always less than VM, but now and with the forthcoming Sky price increase being reported, I made the decision to switch.

At least in 18 months time, I will qualify as a new Sky customer again and be able to get a decent rejoining deal, if i decide to.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 08:59:56 PM »
That means using BT though.  :anguish:

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
For anyone switching to provider for 1st time, Quidco is excellent for cash back as brummie has said.

Offline biggs

• General Member
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 24 March 2015, 11:51:07 PM »
That means using BT though.  :anguish:
Virgin have BT sport for free on all the packages atm and 6 months free netflix ,just left Talkshite and Sky and now have 152mb fibre and Tivo plus managed to haggle and got extra HD+ box on multiroom with no fee for eva  O0
:smug:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 12:43:17 AM »
I am consistently impressed by how utterly s**** the Virgin Media boxes are to use.

Online TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 06:50:32 AM »
For anyone switching to provider for 1st time, Quidco is excellent for cash back as brummie has said.

Aye, £220 cashback for the VM 'Big Kahuna' bundle, which also helped make my mind up to switch now.

Virgin have BT sport for free on all the packages atm and 6 months free netflix

6 months free Netflix offer ended 27th February - not included on any bundles now.
« Last Edit: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 07:01:46 AM by TK-421 »
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline biggs

• General Member
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 08:18:19 AM »
I am consistently impressed by how utterly s**** the Virgin Media boxes are to use.
waited 1 minute for the iplayer to start up last night and the search and discover was not working for a week  :explode:

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
What's the best/cheapest deal for just broadband do people reckon? Also, why are phone lines still essential in 2015?

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 12:58:18 PM »

I've never experienced the Virgin Media boxes, only Sky in England, but in general all cable/satellite boxes are pieces of s***. As you know, there are shitloads of devices (homemade & commercial) with decent software on, that are intuitive and responsive. Yet pay TV providers are content just to pass out giant boxes that are no doubt filled with decade old components, with zero customisation options for the user. They're clearly all convinced that once you're in their ecosystem, you're going nowhere.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 07:41:37 PM »

I've never experienced the Virgin Media boxes, only Sky in England, but in general all cable/satellite boxes are pieces of s***. As you know, there are shitloads of devices (homemade & commercial) with decent software on, that are intuitive and responsive. Yet pay TV providers are content just to pass out giant boxes that are no doubt filled with decade old components, with zero customisation options for the user. They're clearly all convinced that once you're in their ecosystem, you're going nowhere.

Sky is like using an iPhone compared to Virgin's Windows Mobile/CE/Pocket PC. It's laughably slow.

Online Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 07:42:22 PM »
The Virgin we have in our house now is faster than the Sky box I had in the last house. Maybe they've been upgraded.

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 25 March 2015, 07:44:27 PM »
Had some awful experiences with Virgin Media when I lived in a student house. Never going near them again.

Sky isn't cheap but I've had no problems with them since setting up in 2010.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 2 April 2015, 03:12:35 PM »
Got around to cancelling the sports and movies from my sky package (and my calls), and will be now saving a massive £33 a month.  They phoned us up yesterday saying they can offer us both packages for half price for a year. Didn't bother though.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 2 April 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
I pay about £45 for the most basic Sky package and unlimited internet (which ain't great) and phone (which I never use).

Can't help thinking that's a bit high for the most stripped down package on offer.  Also not willing to pay an extra tenner for HD although I do want it, seems a right rip especially if I haven't got Sports or Movies.

Anything I can do to get a better deal?  Say I'm thinking of leaving maybe?  Virgin isn't an option and not sure about BT tbh.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 2 April 2015, 03:33:31 PM »
Give it a go mate, just say you are looking to leave as the costs are becoming a bit too high, see what they say. If they are not willing to budge, just say you need to discuss it with the missus before leaving. See if they get back in touch, if not, then you haven't really lost anything.